RIDE-9 Setup

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 5:10 Quote
Whats your preferred position on your bike for where you ride?

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2020 at 11:40 Quote
What bike?

Ride9 effects the amount of travel the rear tire has and the leverage on the shock. For instance, on the Altitude, on paper pos1 is the slackest position but it has over 10mm less travel than pos3. So once your on the bike and sag is set, when your on the bike, pos3 is the same or slightly more slack than pos1. Plus it has over 10mm more travel with less ramp up of the shock. This makes it feel like it has way more travel.

You also need to reset sag with any ride9 change. I also find you need to go +/-2 clicks with rebound and compression also.

I’ve ridden a lot in pos5, then switched to pos3 and now I’m in pos6. I am installing a 8.5x2.5 float X2.

Posted: Jun 21, 2020 at 12:11 Quote
Thanks for the reply. I ride a Instinct, had a lot of peddle bashing so recently switched to position 7 and like the adjustment so far!

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 21:49 Quote
Try Pos6. I think the shock feels a lot better in the upper positions pos3-6-9. There is less ramp up in the linkage. The shock already has so much, its best to remove as much as possible from the linkage.

Posted: Jun 25, 2020 at 15:34 Quote
Doesn't weight also come into play. I believe I have seen illustrations that indicate weight of rider on the quadrant. I am about 225lbs even before gear, so would Pos6 be too light for me?

BTW funny thing if you search google images w/ Ride-9, you get some references to the top sexual positions for getting pregnant haha. The other thing to look out for is that you aren't looking an old chart that used a different numbering system where the neutral was 1 vs now it's 5.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 14:12 Quote
WorksInTheory wrote:
BTW funny thing if you search google images w/ Ride-9, you get some references to the top sexual positions for getting pregnant haha. The other thing to look out for is that you aren't looking an old chart that used a different numbering system where the neutral was 1 vs now it's 5.

Never google, goodness, when will people learn there are other search engines out there that are not anti-American.

Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 9:53 Quote
ajriding wrote:
WorksInTheory wrote:

Never google, goodness, when will people learn there are other search engines out there that are not anti-American.

Yes. Use Brave.

I've been on position 2 (2018 Rocky Mountain Altitude). Feels good and poppy on corners. Going to try position 3 after reading the above comments.

FL
Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 16:39 Quote
stubs179 wrote:
What bike?

Ride9 effects the amount of travel the rear tire has and the leverage on the shock. For instance, on the Altitude, on paper pos1 is the slackest position but it has over 10mm less travel than pos3. So once your on the bike and sag is set, when your on the bike, pos3 is the same or slightly more slack than pos1. Plus it has over 10mm more travel with less ramp up of the shock. This makes it feel like it has way more travel.

You also need to reset sag with any ride9 change. I also find you need to go +/-2 clicks with rebound and compression also.

I’ve ridden a lot in pos5, then switched to pos3 and now I’m in pos6. I am installing a 8.5x2.5 float X2.

How do you lose travel in the most slack position?

The displacement of the wheel stays the same, however the start and end position change . The wheel in the most slack position is only closer to the seat tube, it does not lose travel.

I ride in Position 9 as it's still very slacked (~66*) and the BB is at the highest position along with the shortest wheel base (makes it more fun, yet the WB is still long enough to be stable on descends).

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 21:31 Quote
borlowski90 wrote:
stubs179 wrote:
What bike?

The displacement of the wheel stays the same, however the start and end position change . The wheel in the most slack position is only closer to the seat tube, it does not lose travel.

I ride in Position 9 as it's still very slacked (~66*) and the BB is at the highest position along with the shortest wheel base (makes it more fun, yet the WB is still long enough to be stable on descends).

You most definitely lose travel in Pos1. About 9% worth. Look at a Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dog. Moving the shock a little bit on their link changes the travel by 10mm.

The link is a simple lever bolted to the seat stay at one end and the frame at the other. The shock is a fixed stroke. The closer you move the shock to the top tube the farther the seat stay can move. The closer the shock is to the seat stay the less the seat stay can move.

FL
Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 6:45 Quote
stubs179 wrote:
borlowski90 wrote:
stubs179 wrote:
What bike?

You most definitely lose travel in Pos1. About 9% worth. Look at a Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dog. Moving the shock a little bit on their link changes the travel by 10mm.

The link is a simple lever bolted to the seat stay at one end and the frame at the other. The shock is a fixed stroke. The closer you move the shock to the top tube the farther the seat stay can move. The closer the shock is to the seat stay the less the seat stay can move.

I don't agree. The suspension kinematics don't have any physical limitations when changing the ride-9. Taking the shock out, the suspension will make contact at the chainstay to BB at full extension and will make contact on at the Link to Seat tube at full compression.

On the GG, the travel limitation is due to the shock itself. You will bottom out the shock quicker with their trail setting compared to the gravity position due to the amount of displacement on the shock bolt. The larger arc in the trail position causes the shock to use more of it's stroke per wheel movement compared to the gravity position.

Using the GG logic, the Position 9 would cause LESS travel compared to the most slack Position 1.

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2020 at 10:21 Quote
borlowski90 wrote:
stubs179 wrote:
borlowski90 wrote:

I don't agree. The suspension kinematics don't have any physical limitations when changing the ride-9. Taking the shock out, the suspension will make contact at the chainstay to BB at full extension and will make contact on at the Link to Seat tube at full compression.

On the GG, the travel limitation is due to the shock itself. You will bottom out the shock quicker with their trail setting compared to the gravity position due to the amount of displacement on the shock bolt. The larger arc in the trail position causes the shock to use more of it's stroke per wheel movement compared to the gravity position.

Using the GG logic, the Position 9 would cause LESS travel compared to the most slack Position 1.

You can agree or disagree all you want but it’s physics. The swing link is a lever that is fixed at the top tube and seat stay. The shock has a fixed stroke. The closer you move the shock to the top tube the farther the seat stay can move. The closer the shock is to the seat stay the lest is can move. Very simple physics.

FL
Posted: Nov 16, 2020 at 19:37 Quote
stubs179 wrote:
borlowski90 wrote:
stubs179 wrote:

You can agree or disagree all you want but it’s physics. The swing link is a lever that is fixed at the top tube and seat stay. The shock has a fixed stroke. The closer you move the shock to the top tube the farther the seat stay can move. The closer the shock is to the seat stay the lest is can move. Very simple physics.

My apologies, you're right. I thought about it some more and drew a diagram to help me understand it more and it makes sense.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012220
Mobile Version of Website