Is this the right expensive used bike for me?

PB Forum :: Beginners
Is this the right expensive used bike for me?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 7:03 Quote
I am looking for a MTB, my budget was lower ($1,000?) but this looks like a good deal and I was wondering what you all think?

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/bik/d/boca-raton-cannondale-carbon-habit-2/7135117267.html

I am a beginner, I will be using this on anything available down here in South Florida. So far it's been intermediate trails, mostly flat, some technical roots etc. I did bust my ass on a big rock the other day. Maybe the rear shock is unnecessary? Maybe I shouldn't start with Carbon Fiber and maybe I should have a lower budget?

Currently I have a Scott Hybrid, $500 bike several years old - but it isn't too horrible. I put the largest tires I could fit on it but it has no suspension.

I bought my girlfriend a Marlin 4 that she is pretty happy with and I can tell it's a bit easier to ride than mine on the trail.

Thanks!

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 7:26 Quote
I can't see the second hand bike deal link but not relevant to my general suggestion anyway.

In your position as new to mountain biking and where you want to ride you should try and use a $1000 budget on a new alloy hardtail. Check online for bike test/reviews or top 10 bikes for $1000 to begin with. Do some research on the ones you like.

You will get a good bike with good new trends in spec and geometry compared to an entry level, cheap, full suspension bike.

Trek, Vitus, Nukeproof are some good brands that would give you best value for your money.

Having a hybrid bike doesn't compare with any mountain bike which is why your girlfriends Marlin is easier to ride on trails. Take your time, do some research and enjoy the fun of looking around before you buy.

Only my opinion on a way to proceed and the way I did it when I started out on my journey into mountain biking which worked for me. Happy riding! Smile

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 17:32 Quote
Reaperactual wrote:
I can't see the second hand bike deal link but not relevant to my general suggestion anyway.

In your position as new to mountain biking and where you want to ride you should try and use a $1000 budget on a new alloy hardtail. Check online for bike test/reviews or top 10 bikes for $1000 to begin with. Do some research on the ones you like.

You will get a good bike with good new trends in spec and geometry compared to an entry level, cheap, full suspension bike.

Trek, Vitus, Nukeproof are some good brands that would give you best value for your money.

Having a hybrid bike doesn't compare with any mountain bike which is why your girlfriends Marlin is easier to ride on trails. Take your time, do some research and enjoy the fun of looking around before you buy.

Only my opinion on a way to proceed and the way I did it when I started out on my journey into mountain biking which worked for me. Happy riding! Smile

They deleted the Craigslist post by the looks of it. Thank you for your advise, I will look at those brands, I think Trek is my favorite so far.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 18:04 Quote
nioin3k wrote:
Reaperactual wrote:

They deleted the Craigslist post by the looks of it. Thank you for your advise, I will look at those brands, I think Trek is my favorite so far.

Trek is great! If you like them, go with them. But from my experience, their lower-end products are not so good. I have a Vitus Nucleus and it's great for the price. That's just from my experience. Hope this helps!

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 9:51 Quote
benbenbeast wrote:
nioin3k wrote:
Reaperactual wrote:

Trek is great! If you like them, go with them. But from my experience, their lower-end products are not so good. I have a Vitus Nucleus and it's great for the price. That's just from my experience. Hope this helps!

Oh darn. Just trying to think what makes the most sense, would it be better to buy from a local Trek store so that I can have it worked on with them or try to find a Vitus online? I am in the USA, Florida - everything is sold out!

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 10:12 Quote
nioin3k wrote:
benbenbeast wrote:
nioin3k wrote:

Oh darn. Just trying to think what makes the most sense, would it be better to buy from a local Trek store so that I can have it worked on with them or try to find a Vitus online? I am in the USA, Florida - everything is sold out!

Vitus may have better parts, but the service isn't great. When I ordered mine, I needed a tune-up, and I had to set it up by myself. Trek is much better in that they have shops to get parts, service, and free set up. You are paying a bit more to get the same parts on a Trek, but you are also getting the service. If service and reliability are important to you, Trek is highly recommended.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009571
Mobile Version of Website