Onyx Vesper Hub Problems

Posted: May 1, 2023 at 16:45 Quote
Well it happened again.. a second cracked hub shell on my Vesper. Onyx is being very great on the customer service side.

Posted: May 6, 2023 at 3:38 Quote
nicktapias wrote:
Well it happened again.. a second cracked hub shell on my Vesper. Onyx is being very great on the customer service side.
I've given up on the Vesper after the front cracked in multiple places and the rear sprags kept shitting themselves. Classic seems to be the way to go.

Posted: May 6, 2023 at 6:52 Quote
Cambor wrote:
nicktapias wrote:
I've given up on the Vesper after the front cracked in multiple places and the rear sprags kept shitting themselves. Classic seems to be the way to go.

Yep they are changing me over to the Classic and rebuilding the wheel for me. Just had to ship it to them. Good customer care and service at least.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 2, 2023 at 23:19 Quote
Super disappointed in the onyx vespers, got a set on a custom wheel build. In less than 2 months the rear hub turned into a fixed gear and I had to run chainless to get down the trail. I returned them to the shop for warranty but now I’m thinking about telling the shop to swap me over to some Dt Swiss as this is pretty unacceptable.

I’m shocked these are sold in shops with the failure rate. Should have listened to my gut and gotten something else.

Posted: Nov 3, 2023 at 0:11 Quote
Why not warranty to Classics?
Robinhoods wrote:
Super disappointed in the onyx vespers, got a set on a custom wheel build. In less than 2 months the rear hub turned into a fixed gear and I had to run chainless to get down the trail. I returned them to the shop for warranty but now I’m thinking about telling the shop to swap me over to some Dt Swiss as this is pretty unacceptable.

I’m shocked these are sold in shops with the failure rate. Should have listened to my gut and gotten something else.

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2023 at 6:07 Quote
The Onyx rep that works with my shop told the manager that the Vesper is so light because it uses the sprag rings from a road bike hub. Makes sense why they tend to blow up on mtbs. I say that as someone who has run the Vesper for three years without an issue…until last summer, it finally blew up per most people’s experiences.

The classic doesn’t have the same issue—it’s way burlier. The intervals have literally twice the number of sprag rings to handle the pedaling loads.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 3, 2023 at 9:36 Quote
cmi85 wrote:
Robinhoods wrote:

Do I just reach out directly to Onyx for that, the shop I went through just told me "ya we don't do that"

Posted: Nov 3, 2023 at 12:07 Quote
Did all your sprags shatter like this thread basically explains?
Are you within the weight limit for Vespers? If my shop told me what they told you, I'd be on the phone with Onyx immediately.
Robinhoods wrote:
cmi85 wrote:
Robinhoods wrote:

Do I just reach out directly to Onyx for that, the shop I went through just told me "ya we don't do that"

Posted: Nov 21, 2023 at 8:02 Quote
Contact Onyx directly they will help you out probably switch you over to the classic rear hub!!

FL
Posted: Dec 19, 2023 at 4:25 Quote
Hi all. Sorry to jump in.

Quick question: Onyx Vespers, for All Mountain/Trail/Soft Enduro or whatever it's called nowadays (Not DH), on a Full Suspension bike, around 13 Kg of bike, 60-65Kg of rider....should they be OK????

Many thanks!

Posted: Dec 19, 2023 at 7:54 Quote
Bitelio wrote:

Quick question: Onyx Vespers, for All Mountain/Trail/Soft Enduro or whatever it's called nowadays (Not DH), on a Full Suspension bike, around 13 Kg of bike, 60-65Kg of rider....should they be OK????

Many thanks!

I think it really matters how much power you can drive through the hub. Having read as many problems as this model has had I don't think I'd run Vesper on anything I would ride.
But that's just my gut telling me to avoid.
If I was putting a bike together for one of my kids then maybe.

O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2023 at 9:23 Quote
My local LBS said that the Onyx rep told them that the sprag clutch ring in the Vesper is made for road hubs…this was after I blew mine up. If you don’t mind replacing $70 plastic rings every now and then, it’s a cool hub. The Classic is bomb-proof, but much heavier.

Posted: Dec 19, 2023 at 10:54 Quote
Bitelio wrote:

Many thanks!

Classic hubs. That's the way to go.

Posted: Dec 19, 2023 at 11:52 Quote
Lando406 wrote:
My local LBS said that the Onyx rep told them that the sprag clutch ring in the Vesper is made for road hubs…this was after I blew mine up. If you don’t mind replacing $70 plastic rings every now and then, it’s a cool hub. The Classic is bomb-proof, but much heavier.

Much heavier? I'd say that's a stretch. Maybe with the Classic equipped with an older steel driver, but not when equipped with aluminum.

I weighed them, side by side. To me, there isn't much of a difference at all. Both are kinda heavy (I'll let you decide for yourself if that matters), and there isn't a heck of a lot of difference between the two. Pictured here, both classic and vesper in mate black. Both with aluminum XD drivers. 11g difference, is immaterial. There is zero reason to pick vesper over classic.

photo

O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2023 at 12:02 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
Lando406 wrote:

Much heavier? I'd say that's a stretch. Maybe with the Classic equipped with an older steel driver, but not when equipped with aluminum.

I weighed them, side by side. To me, there isn't much of a difference at all. Both are kinda heavy (I'll let you decide for yourself if that matters), and there isn't a heck of a lot of difference between the two. Pictured here, both classic and vesper in mate black. Both with aluminum XD drivers. 11g difference, is immaterial. There is zero reason to pick vesper over classic.

photo

I stand corrected. And I agree: no reason to choose the Vesper over the Classic with that weight difference in mind. Onyx's website claims the Vesper weighs 414 and the Classic weighs 445, which I guess still isn't a huge difference.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.036917
Mobile Version of Website