Ripmo AF vs. Norco Optic for use in Ontario

PB Forum :: Canada - East
Ripmo AF vs. Norco Optic for use in Ontario
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2020 at 15:16 Quote
Just looking for opinions, I am going to bite the bullet on a new bike and these are what I am down to. Ripmo AF or Norco Optic, I don’t think I would be disappointed with either bike but I am debating with myself for where I ride and my style, which would make the most sense.

Where do I ride: hydro cut, turkey point, the pines. I do plan for future trips around Ontario and Quebec.

How do I ride: lots of pedalling up hills and fast and short descents, I do most jumps and pop of rocks but nothing big. Example: I do the drop on Sweet Street but I roll Godzilla, if that helps.

Just looking for two cents here...

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 17:26 Quote
Personally I'd pick an Optic or the Ripley over the Ripmo. The true all mountain category was a bit much for most of Ontario. The Optic is fun enough day to day doing simple stuff at hydrocut and has a nice "get up and go" factor when you put the power down, plus it can hang with the big boys (although a little slower) when you need it do at Fortune when you work your way over there.

O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2020 at 15:18 Quote
Thanks for the insight,

I personally really enjoy the trail riding and don’t have any plans to do downhill, mostly because I ride with my wife and she has no interest.

I find the shops try and up-sell you, originally I was looking at a Ripley but then after talking to the sales staff it turned into how much more fun it would be with the extra travel. I do agree with that but I still don’t do big jumps or massive drops and most of my pedalling is uphill for 1 minute of flowy downhill with a couple rocks to pop off.

And I really try to keep my speed on the climbs.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 11, 2020 at 16:41 Quote
Sounds like you were talking to the real bike shop bros! Haha. It sounds like the Optic is as big as you need, maybe even beyond a bit what you need. I actually don't think more travel is more fun in most of Ontario. If your daily riding actually happens at hydrocut, turkey point, the pines, and that sort of thing, then Optic/Ripley is the way to go (I might even lean to the less aggressive Ripley). Longer travel is more fun when you can ride it faster (bigger margin for error) or do bigger moves. Neither of those are going to matter at hydrocut, for example. If all you're doing is a minute of downhill and you're looking for rocks to pop off and little side hits, then more travel will probably make things less fun and deaden the riding experience.

Don't get a Ripmo for Ontario unless you're spending weekends at Blue or in Quebec/Ottawa area. There's a couple other spots with some really legit trails but they're few and far between. Even still, an Optic can handle all that kind of stuff... just a little slower than something more travel. Maybe it's a good middle ground for you.

O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2020 at 16:47 Quote
Thanks for your help! Really appreciate it. I’ll keep my eyes open for either the Optic or Ripley.

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 14:56 Quote
Not sure if you're still in the market for a new bike. If so, I've been incredibly happy with my Ibis Ripley LS (V3).
Most of my riding is at Dagmar and Durham Forest.
I'm actually starting to look for a new bike my short list includes Ibis Ripley, Ibis Ripley AF, Santa Cruz Tallboy and the Kona Hei Hei. 120mm Front / 130mm travel is enough travel for Southern Ontario (excl. bike parks). Hope this helps.

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 7:06 Quote
Consider a switchblade, 910, or instinct? All good bikes for the trails your on. 130-140mm travel.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 17:22 Quote
I scored a deal on a transition smuggler! Pivot would be a sweet option as well. I will have to agree with all the suggestions and going into the future really consider the travel vs. the trails to keep things fun. There are so many great options out there. This won’t be my last bike so maybe I’ll get a chance on another brand in the future, Keep your eyes out for the orange Smuggler flying by!!!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011002
Mobile Version of Website