Remedy sizing. Up or down?

PB Forum :: Trek
Remedy sizing. Up or down?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 26, 2020 at 12:13 Quote
Hey!
Posted this in another place but figured this was the right place Smile
I get that there probably is a million threads like this but here goes.
Im 5.10 (178cm) and looking for a Trek Remedy 8.
At that height and inseam i fall right in between the 18.5 ML and the 19.5 L.
I have no way to test any of the sizes before i order, the 18.5 i can get my hands on right away if im Quick but the 19.5 is rested a long time into -21.
Anyone ridden both that can leave me an opinion?

Sorry for my bad English
Thanks

Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 3:15 Quote
No one? I get that the Reach Numbers etc is a bit different from other models wich only makes this harder for me. Looking att reach alone its hard for me to put that into reality on how that Will feel. Im a bit lower on those Numbers today on my 16,5 long stanton switchback and i feel fine on that.
Would love to hear what you guys with similar lengths went with.

Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 7:37 Quote
I am 5' 11 and have an 18.5, I am selling it for a 19.5 soon. I've had to use a 150mm dropper to get my seat high enough. I like the smaller bike, it's been good fun but I feel like i'm riding on the bike instead of in it so am sizing up.

The simple answer to this question is that there is no wrong or right answer. Some pro's ride smaller bikes, some size up.

If you ride more flow trails get the 19.5, if you want to move the bike around a bit more get the 18.5. You will fit both and can always look at different stems/seat position anyway.

FL
Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 8:12 Quote
If in between, go 4 size up.
Remedy is not big bike, and you can pit 40mm stem if needed.

Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 8:59 Quote
At 178cm, I would advise a 19,5", if your goal is to have a stable bike.
I'm 170cm and I had a 17,5" remedy. It was a very playful bike and really nimble, I loved it.
I now have a 18,5" slash (the 2020 model) and the reach is a little bit longer than the 18,5 remedy. The bike is not as nimble, but it is very stable at high speed. So, depending on your riding preferences: the 19,5 will feel more stable and confident at higher speeds. Seat tubes are also a bit long on those bikes, with a short seat post insertion depth, so you will maybe not be able to use a long dropper seat post on the 19,5.

Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 9:12 Quote
Thanks for your replys.. at home i dont ride that much trails most goofing around with my little boy and training on my bunnyhops and manuals, longer gravel pedal days and commuting. The trails that do exist aint flowy at all mostly Rocky up and down with lots of drops. Traveling to the bikepark around 6 times a year. Bmx Background so i tend to go for the smaller frame but was afraid since the Remedy already is so small as you mentioned..
Im afraid the L wont be available until may-June but if its the right fit it whould be worth the wait.. Sucks to live in a small swedish Town when it comes to trying bikes haha.

Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 11:16 Quote
alexbg wrote:
Get a slash!

Really, i think the Remedy is the perfect weapon for my needs Smile
That mentioned poppy feeling with a descent pedal platform for the longer xc days.

Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 12:31 Quote
I'm 5'8 and the M/L 18.5" is perfect for me. I'd think a 19.5 is best for you.

Posted: Sep 28, 2020 at 9:01 Quote
Today i got a banging deal on a -20 Fuel ex 8 (like really good) from a relative, not really what im after but almost to good to turn down, i might go with that through winter then look at a Remedy once its getting warmer next year.

FL
Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 4:15 Quote
Hi.

I'm 5'10'' with about 30-31 inch inseam.

I purchased a 2018 Remedy Size L (19.5) and always felt it was at my limits. After a lot of modifications I got it feeling better but still wasn't 100% comfortable. The mods were:-

Shorter stem (35mm).
Lowering the stem/bars by 10mm
Moving the seat forward by 10mm
Fitting a travel reducer in the dropper post to reduce it from 150mm travel to 120mm.
Adjusting the geometry to the slack position.

I have recently upgraded frames and downsized to the M/L (18.5) and have immediately noticed the improvement. I no longer feel as if I'm perched on top of the bike and I have been able to restore the full dropper travel, fit a longer stem (40mm), raise the stem and move the saddle back a bit. I'm also running the high geometry setting. I feel much more confident riding the bike and feel that I'm able to move around a lot more.

So. For me personally, the 18.5 is a far better choice.

Hope that helps.

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 7:31 Quote
MarkyB916 wrote:
Hi.

I purchased a 2018 Remedy Size L (19.5) and always felt it was at my limits. After a lot of modifications I got it feeling better but still wasn't 100% comfortable. The mods were:-

Shorter stem (35mm).
Fitting a travel reducer in the dropper post to reduce it from 150mm travel to 120mm.

I have recently upgraded frames and downsized to the M/L (18.5) and have immediately noticed the improvement. I no longer feel as if I'm perched on top of the bike and I have been able to restore the full dropper travel, fit a longer stem (40mm), raise the stem and move the saddle back a bit. I'm also running the high geometry setting. I feel much more confident riding the bike and feel that I'm able to move around a lot more.

Hope that helps.

That sure helps a ton!
I purchased that Fuel ex8 i mentioned earlier yesterday and Thats a ML, while different geos you get a picture on how they set their sizing. It fits me perfect! Im hoping to sell it after winter instead to get a remedy as i do prefer the 27,5 and longer travel. All i could get my hand om right now was that ”marigold to blabla orange” and i did not like that One bit Smile
Thanks

FL
Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 7:40 Quote
I'm glad I could be of some help.

If you have the budget for it, get the carbon frame in 'emerald'. It's more of a green/purple flip flop colour. It's a fairly subtle colour scheme but I absolutely love mine.

If you need any more help, feel free to ask.

Asgas wrote:
MarkyB916 wrote:
Hi.

Shorter stem (35mm).

Hope that helps.

That sure helps a ton!
I purchased that Fuel ex8 i mentioned earlier yesterday and Thats a ML, while different geos you get a picture on how they set their sizing. It fits me perfect! Im hoping to sell it after winter instead to get a remedy as i do prefer the 27,5 and longer travel. All i could get my hand om right now was that ”marigold to blabla orange” and i did not like that One bit Smile
Thanks

Posted: Nov 10, 2020 at 22:25 Quote
I have the same challenge. Also 178cm, so the Trek website tells me to get the M/L Remedy.
No bikes to demo in my small town in north of Norway. Noting in the 3 nearest and bigger cities either...
The geo chart for my old 2007 Santa Cruz Nomad can't compare in any way :p

Would like to hear your experiance Smile

Posted: Nov 11, 2020 at 8:12 Quote
Really depends on how you like to ride. If you want a bike to move around more and be better in tighter corners then get the m/l, if you want a more stable bigger bike get the L. You'll fit both fine. I have a 18.5 remedy and love it, had a go on a new large slash and it felt a lot better. Then went for a ride on my remedy and had a great time. You honestly can't lose.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017800
Mobile Version of Website