Reasons to not go to AXS

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 10:19 Quote
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:

Duuuuuuude, no one cares about your opinion thats based on what you read on the internet rather than real life experience of using AXS. Everyone can go read on mtbr and make up their own mind. You just sound bitter.

Duuuude that's opinions and experience of people using axs duuuuude, and make up your mind, read or don't read what's on mtbr or pink bike or whatever, because that's what you do now. I might sound bitter to you but I can't stand people calling the damn thing flawless as it is not, and one or two people's personal experience might be the rule or the exeption but how you know?
I can definently form a good view on the subject when checking some facts about the product, like how the shifter doesn't mix nicely with brakes and grips as many people report they can't find a good position for it.

lol whatever. You're clearly talking bollox about products that you haven't used. so your simply regurgitating second hand info. You're not adding anything of value as your just going by what you have read. So until you've actually used AXS then no one cares about what your saying duuuuuuude.
By your logic your opinion on every other bike product is solid since its just what you've read other people saying with no real life experience of the product.

Just leave it to the folk who have AXS. I wont be replying to your drivel again so save yourself the bother.

Anyway, anyone tried the new paddle yet? I've got on perfectly well with the current one tbh but since its so cheap I think I'll order it to give it a try.
So duuude everyone that had a bad experience with the flawless axs is hearsay and just two people here are unquestionable legit? Get real, if you want to know what people experience have with axs you have to listen what anyone who used it say, not 2 people here, like it or not, that's the case, it's not flawless and doesn't perform 99% better.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 10:21 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

Duuuude that's opinions and experience of people using axs duuuuude, and make up your mind, read or don't read what's on mtbr or pink bike or whatever, because that's what you do now. I might sound bitter to you but I can't stand people calling the damn thing flawless as it is not, and one or two people's personal experience might be the rule or the exeption but how you know?
I can definently form a good view on the subject when checking some facts about the product, like how the shifter doesn't mix nicely with brakes and grips as many people report they can't find a good position for it.

lol whatever. You're clearly talking bollox about products that you haven't used. so your simply regurgitating second hand info. You're not adding anything of value as your just going by what you have read. So until you've actually used AXS then no one cares about what your saying duuuuuuude.
By your logic your opinion on every other bike product is solid since its just what you've read other people saying with no real life experience of the product.

Just leave it to the folk who have AXS. I wont be replying to your drivel again so save yourself the bother.

Anyway, anyone tried the new paddle yet? I've got on perfectly well with the current one tbh but since its so cheap I think I'll order it to give it a try.
So duuude everyone that had a bad experience with the flawless axs is hearsay and just two people here are unquestionable legit? Get real, if you want to know what people experience have with axs you have to listen what anyone who used it say, not 2 people here, like it or not, that's the case, it's not flawless and doesn't perform 99% better.

You're actually right. Since shifting well is a pretty small thing, given the minute room for improvement, the AXS actually shifts 100% better than mechanical.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 10:23 Quote
How's that the case? You don't overshift? Please elaborate, I'm all ears!

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 10:24 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
How's that the case? You don't overshift? Please elaborate, I'm all ears!

More accurate shifts. No possibility of cable stretch. Like a mechanical derailleur, the only variables will be a straight derailleur hanger and limit screws being a little off.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 10:37 Quote
Cable stretch is easilly adjusted, once set that's it, untill it needs a replace you rarely, if ever fiddle with it again. But if charging batteries isn't an issue, so cable adjustment as it lasts longer than a battery charge. Let alone people actually having to remove the batteries from the mech due to 'waking' up while on the bike rack reducing battery life, fiddling much?
How did you measure how accurate shifts are? Top sram rear mech vs axs.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 10:43 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Cable stretch is easilly adjusted, once set that's it, untill it needs a replace you rarely, if ever fiddle with it again. But if charging batteries isn't an issue, so cable adjustment as it lasts longer than a battery charge. Let alone people actually having to remove the batteries from the mech due to 'waking' up while on the bike rack reducing battery life, fiddling much?
How did you measure how accurate shifts are? Top sram rear mech vs axs.

I'm a bike mechanic in a high volume shop. Cable stretch is always an issue. The reason why I convert so many people to AXS is that they like the range of their Eagle drivetrain but hate having to deal with cables.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 10:57 Quote
How many times do you need to adjust a shift cable once it stretched? It must be me that I do it once after new, then rarely touching it. Isn’t battery life an issue on the bike racks anymore? so you don't need to remove the battery?
How many times do you have to charge vs cable stretch adjust?
Very vague answers for someone who claims to know that much first hand.
These are the same people that overshifted in regular basis so you propose axs as a solution?

And please tell me how you measure accuracy on shifting of a xx1 mech vs axs, I'm curious

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 11:32 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
How many times do you need to adjust a shift cable once it stretched? It must be me that I do it once after new, then rarely touching it. Isn’t battery life an issue on the bike racks anymore? so you don't need to remove the battery?
How many times do you have to charge vs cable stretch adjust?
Very vague answers for someone who claims to know that much first hand.
These are the same people that overshifted in regular basis so you propose axs as a solution?

And please tell me how you measure accuracy on shifting of a xx1 mech vs axs, I'm curious

I charge my battery maybe once a month. Even if your derailleur "wakes up" while the bike is on the rack, it won't experience enough battery drain to be an issue. Also carrying a spare battery is super easy. I keep one in my handlebar bag when I ride my gravel bike and I switch it to my jersey pocket when I ride MTB.

With a mechanical drivetrain, every time you shift, your cable is wearing out. You might not notice it until it actually needs to be adjusted but the cable is slowly dying with every lever press. Not to mention that cable housing is vulnerable to contamination and also damage if you crash or get your handlebars hooked on something.

Don't like AXS? Don't buy it. But you can't deny that it's a step above a cable-actuated system. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it super nice? Yes. Is it a clean setup? Yes. Should you clean out your bank account to switch to it if you already have mechanical XX1? Probably not.

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 15:29 Quote
Theres two camps. Those who have axs and those who dont.

Seems to be some folk who fall into the latter category (adespotoskyli) who are hell bent on telling the world all about axs...

I think most people considering buying axs will want to hear opinions from people who have owned and used it. If you don't fall into the 'owned and used it' category then your just some moron who's waffling shite on the internet.

lolz

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 16:03 Quote
Tbh this thread is going around in circles. If people love AXS and think it's better so be it. Personally this cable stretch, mis shift issue is a load of bollocks as a reasoning for why AXS is better though. Cables go for months, even a year or more if well sealed using quality cables and hoses. Shifting performance of mechanical is already good enough, when the derailleur shifts it shifts to the next gear way before the chain has chance to have full wrap on the cassette anyway so axs cannot do anything to speed that up or improve the shift as that is all determined by the ramps on the cassette and chain quality ect. These minor complications with mechanical are not justified by the cost of AXS of which also has it's own issues already stated in this thread. I don't hate on AXS and would love to toy around with it, just because I like gadgets, but functionally it offers no advantage over a properly working mechanical system. Maybe AXS is better for idiots, that would make sense, people who don't oil their chain and can't adjust a derailleur properly. But better shifting is nonsense, as I say the derailleur already shifts to the next cog on either mechanical ir AXS faster than the chain has chance to gain wrap on the cassette. Yea AXS is less likely to f*ck up than a f*cked mechanical system with tons of cable stretch and adjustment screws out of whack, but if you are that incapable of maintaining a £6000 plus bike and don't know how to adjust things you are already wasting money, let alone throwin even more more at an expensive solution to rectify your dumbass middle aged ability to ride or maintain a bicycle properly. But as the saying goes, "all the gear........."

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 17:38 Quote
can someone give me a tldr of all that shite above please

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 18:14 Quote
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:
can someone give me a tldr of all that shite above please

I made the call....yup...putting Axs on the new bike.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 20:48 Quote
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:
Theres two camps. Those who have axs and those who dont.

Seems to be some folk who fall into the latter category (adespotoskyli) who are hell bent on telling the world all about axs...

I think most people considering buying axs will want to hear opinions from people who have owned and used it. If you don't fall into the 'owned and used it' category then your just some moron who's waffling shite on the internet.

lolz

Lolz yea, no one still answered my questions though so, I don't actually know who is full of shit because can't support their view on why this thing is better, my questions are quite specific and still no answer, how many time do you have to remove the battery because of accidentally waking up the rear mech and how often do you charge your batteries vs how many trims of shifter cable in a season, I know how much maintenance my cables need so you tell us how much peace of mind you get from the battery actuated mech. How much better are the shifts than a regular mech? Still waiting to explain how someone determined that shifts are more accurate vs a top range rear mech. So save the "my customers can't shift so that's the only solution I can come up with"
Don't care if you own or don't own axs, I care if can justify your opinion why is better. So other than you can't shift, why is it better?

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 20:53 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Tbh this thread is going around in circles. If people love AXS and think it's better so be it. Personally this cable stretch, mis shift issue is a load of bollocks as a reasoning for why AXS is better though. Cables go for months, even a year or more if well sealed using quality cables and hoses. Shifting performance of mechanical is already good enough, when the derailleur shifts it shifts to the next gear way before the chain has chance to have full wrap on the cassette anyway so axs cannot do anything to speed that up or improve the shift as that is all determined by the ramps on the cassette and chain quality ect. These minor complications with mechanical are not justified by the cost of AXS of which also has it's own issues already stated in this thread. I don't hate on AXS and would love to toy around with it, just because I like gadgets, but functionally it offers no advantage over a properly working mechanical system. Maybe AXS is better for idiots, that would make sense, people who don't oil their chain and can't adjust a derailleur properly. But better shifting is nonsense, as I say the derailleur already shifts to the next cog on either mechanical ir AXS faster than the chain has chance to gain wrap on the cassette. Yea AXS is less likely to f*ck up than a f*cked mechanical system with tons of cable stretch and adjustment screws out of whack, but if you are that incapable of maintaining a £6000 plus bike and don't know how to adjust things you are already wasting money, let alone throwin even more more at an expensive solution to rectify your dumbass middle aged ability to ride or maintain a bicycle properly. But as the saying goes, "all the gear........."
probably just better for idiots

Posted: Nov 18, 2020 at 2:58 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:
Tbh this thread is going around in circles. If people love AXS and think it's better so be it. Personally this cable stretch, mis shift issue is a load of bollocks as a reasoning for why AXS is better though. Cables go for months, even a year or more if well sealed using quality cables and hoses. Shifting performance of mechanical is already good enough, when the derailleur shifts it shifts to the next gear way before the chain has chance to have full wrap on the cassette anyway so axs cannot do anything to speed that up or improve the shift as that is all determined by the ramps on the cassette and chain quality ect. These minor complications with mechanical are not justified by the cost of AXS of which also has it's own issues already stated in this thread. I don't hate on AXS and would love to toy around with it, just because I like gadgets, but functionally it offers no advantage over a properly working mechanical system. Maybe AXS is better for idiots, that would make sense, people who don't oil their chain and can't adjust a derailleur properly. But better shifting is nonsense, as I say the derailleur already shifts to the next cog on either mechanical ir AXS faster than the chain has chance to gain wrap on the cassette. Yea AXS is less likely to f*ck up than a f*cked mechanical system with tons of cable stretch and adjustment screws out of whack, but if you are that incapable of maintaining a £6000 plus bike and don't know how to adjust things you are already wasting money, let alone throwing even more more at an expensive solution to rectify your dumbass middle aged ability to ride or maintain a bicycle properly. But as the saying goes, "all the gear........."
probably just better for idiots

Well you can tell the denial is strong, you show them valid facts about why it can't shift better than a proper functioning mechanical or explain that you don't have these issues they claim with mechanical then they get all over defensive. But as they say facts are facts, opinions can't change that.

Not once seen someone reply to my valid points from the AXS camp come back with a valid response either based on logic or experience to negate the points I have made in this thread. Think that says it all really. But I'll give them another chance to prove me wrong.

AXS fans please tell me how?

1. AXS doesn't have a heavier, bulkier, more expensive derailleur increasing sprung mass and likelihood of ripping it off at increased cost to you?

2. How AXS can possibly shift better, when the derailleur and associated jockey wheels on either mech or AXS are in line with the next cog before the chain even starts wrapping on the next cog? And any 'mishifts' are not an issue for people with above 100iq that know how to shift and adjust a derailleur?

3. How changing a gear cable inner once in a blue moon is considerably more faff than you charging batteries, imo neither is an issue and is a mute point.

4.How you have more shifting options with AXS and your fancy programmable options, when on mechanical I can choose to shift up once, twice or three times in one sweep, and on some shifters 1 or 2 downshifts too. Isn't it so that you have to program it so it will perform either a double shift 'or' triple shift ect? Sounds a step backwards to me.

5. And ultimately how 5x the cost justifies any of the above and that you rather press a button cos you can't be arsed pressing a light spring actuated lever? I think this perfect shifting is all in your head precisely for the fact you just click a button and it shifts, when in reality at the derailleur end nothing different is happening.

Anyway please feel free to reply with any valid responses to the above and prove me wrong or keep your head in the sand...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.031051
Mobile Version of Website