Shigura brakes

• Previous Page
Posted: Nov 8, 2020 at 13:41 Quote
So I've put together my first set of Shiguras and all I can say is wow, these brakes have an incredible amount of power combined with Shimano ergonomics it's the best brake I have ever owned by miles. I did have an issue bleeding that I haven't figured out, as I was pushing fluid up from the caliper to the lever into the shimano cup a couple bubbles appeared and then everything went fine. The trouble was when sucking the oil back down out of the caliper just streams and streams off bubbles appeared and woukld not stop even after 30mins trying. I am hoping it is an issue with the bleed nipple not having an o ring or air getting into the tubing somehow rather than an air leak in the caliper as there is definitely air getting in sonmewhere and crackling noise but I just couldn't figure out where. I didn't want to risk submerging the caliper in water in case it drew water in. However aside from this issue I still can't figure out, I did a final bleed upwards pushing the fluid to the lever with no air bubbles, squoze the lever a few times, removed the bleed block and fitted the wheel and gave them a bash. All seemed to be working nice, firm lever and after just a couple hard pulls while coasting I was already locking up the front wheel weighted. These things have immense power, more power before bedding in than most brakes have after a week of bedding in, they are way more powerful than my Hope v4's, and noticeably more powerful than my previous 4 pot xtr's. After trying these I don't know why anyone would need a brake like the Trickstuff Maxima power wise because these things will lock the front wheel on tarmac at 20mph with ease. So if you have been on the fence about trying it all I can say is do it, they will be the best brakes you have ever owned. These are my favourite bit of the whole build, and this is coming from someone has fitted a ZEB and PUSH 11/6 and is not overly impressed lol. My only regret is they don't have the bling of my orange V4's, but the performance difference is night and day so I'm well happy.

O+
Posted: Nov 8, 2020 at 15:44 Quote
Which caliper did you use? Dose it lengthen the throw? I need to keep the levers close to the bars due to short fingers.

Posted: Nov 8, 2020 at 23:01 Quote
I used MT5 calipers, they are the exact same as MT7 except in black and with standard pads instead of race, but half the cost and a more compatible colour for most bikes. Lever throw is fairly short. If I leave the leaver at stock settings it moves about a third to halfway to the bar, so by adjusting the reach dial you should get them where you want with a nice shortish throw. Jyst make sure to pick up m8120 or M9120 levers for the lever adjust. Also people say there is zero difference between SLX and XTR levers, well I can confirm after sqeezing numerous levers in the shop the past couple days, XTR are definitely smoother and have a lighter action than the equivalent SLX.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 6:47 Quote
Thanks, I have the levers already. Might give this a go.

Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 7:04 Quote
Cerberus75 wrote:
Thanks, I have the levers already. Might give this a go.

Yea parts you need are shimano levers, shimano olive, shimano nut, Magura barb and hose. You also need a bleed nipple to fit the magura caliper, I just bought the Magura bleed kit, even though I didn't need all the bits in the kit, it had the nipples, barbs, syringe and bleed blocks.

Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 8:08 Quote
Oh and really you need to run the 2mm Magura rotors according to Magura, most others are 1.8 and I have seen photos when the pads have been worn right to the bottom with thinner rotors that the pad backplate potrudes so much that it gets lodged in the centre slot of the caliper and will jam the disc up. I am using the storm hc rotor and getting tons of power and little to no noise, you could get away running other 1.8mm rotors but just don't let the pads wear down too much.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 12:13 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Oh and really you need to run the 2mm Magura rotors according to Magura, most others are 1.8 and I have seen photos when the pads have been worn right to the bottom with thinner rotors that the pad backplate potrudes so much that it gets lodged in the centre slot of the caliper and will jam the disc up. I am using the storm hc rotor and getting tons of power and little to no noise, you could get away running other 1.8mm rotors but just don't let the pads wear down too much.

Thanks,

FL
Posted: Nov 10, 2020 at 9:12 Quote
What fluid did you use?

Posted: Nov 10, 2020 at 9:40 Quote
I used Shimano, would have used Magura if I just went off what looked a cooler colour and to try something different but spent a lot of time reading through multiple forums about what works best with what ect and seems Shimano is the better option. Sure if I put Royal Blood in though I wouldn't notice any difference. I don't know if it's the larger internal diameter of the Magura hoses or the fact it's an XTR lever but the brakes defintely feel a bit less stiff to pull than a full SLX setup. Well happy with them though and that's just with the stock pads that come with the MT5, nit even MT7 race or even better Trickstuff pads and they are still by miles the most powerful brake I have ever used and probably the quietest too.

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2021 at 11:40 Quote
So are people recommending XT / SLX / XTR levers over Saint / Zee?

Also, does the freestroke issues of saints (floaty bite point) come into play when linked up to MT7 / 5 calipers?

Finally, if I were to buy two calipers, do they comes with hoses do people know?

Cheers

Posted: Jan 2, 2021 at 11:47 Quote
cliffdog wrote:

Also, does the freestroke issues of saints (floaty bite point) come into play when linked up to MT7 / 5 calipers?

Finally, if I were to buy two calipers, do they comes with hoses do people know?

Cheers

Saint and Zee don't have servowave, so have a more linear feel and less ultimate power.. XT or XTR is what I would pick and use personally.

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2021 at 11:56 Quote
Nice one! WIll go for XTR!

Cheers

Posted: Jan 2, 2021 at 12:48 Quote
Oh yea forgot to say I got my calipers on Ebay but unused where someone just wanted the levers so I was lucky and got hoses ect... I think if you buy from a shop you have to buy the hoses seperately. So what you need is....
1. Magura calipers
2. Potentially Magura / Trickstuff brake pads
3. Shimano levers
4.Magura hoses
5.Shimano Olive
6.Magura barb
7. Shimano bolt thing, dunno what it's called but it's the black bolt you tighten when compressing the olive, for some stupid reason Shimano levers don't come with that part...

Bleed kit, so a Shimano bleed cup for the lever end, then I bought Maguras own bleed/ maintenance kit so I could get the barbs and threaded bleed nipple ect in the kit....

I saved myself a bit of money by finding the calipers with hoses ect and deals on a few bits... It may turn out a bit more expensive and a faff hunting parts but if you want links to all the parts you need ect I'm happy to help you out.

Posted: Jan 2, 2021 at 13:55 Quote
7 is the compression nut, plus the rubber cover.
I've also used both Shimano and magura pins and olives successfully.

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 6:39 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
cliffdog wrote:

Cheers

Saint and Zee don't have servowave, so have a more linear feel and less ultimate power.. XT or XTR is what I would pick and use personally.

My 2018 M820 Saints have Servo Wave (and the floaty bite point). Have they omitted it from later models?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009988
Mobile Version of Website