Chain degreaser

• Next Page
Posted: Nov 18, 2020 at 21:28 Quote
Yeah, that sounds reasonable. Premature breakages were reported by people who soaked the chain in jars for a while or, in extreme cases, left chains soaking while they rotated multiple chains to match the wear rates of the chains and the sprockets. That's a lot more exposure than what most people would do.

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 8:45 Quote
Really interesting how broad solutions are for cleaning chains !

People using Dawn, does it really get the Gunk out of its more a daily cleaning thing?

I need to start doing more routine cleaning, probably using Dawn but now my chains are dirty and need to get that shit off. Probably go with Muck off !!!

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 9:45 Quote
jpsnowride wrote:

People using Dawn, does it really get the Gunk out of its more a daily cleaning thing?

I need to start doing more routine cleaning, probably using Dawn but now my chains are dirty and need to get that shit off. Probably go with Muck off !!!
I can't speak for the people who lube their chains at the trailhead by spinning their cranks & pouring a gallon of oil on their drivetrain, but Dawn works well for me. I apply lube to a clean chain (sparingly, drop by drop on each roller, then wiping off with a rag wrapped around the chain & spinning cranks, repeat 2-3 times to remove excess).
I generally get 3 rides or so, giving a quick wipe after every ride.
There is no hope for the trailhead oilers, just gummed up drivetrains & grumpy bike techs when we have to waste time cleaning that s#$t!

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 13:26 Quote
johnovey wrote:
There is no hope for the trailhead oilers, just gummed up drivetrains & grumpy bike techs when we have to waste time cleaning that s#$t!

THANK YOU.

These misguided souls spend the whole ride with a wet chain, solvents not yet evaporated, attracting dirt and transporting it into the chain. Lubing at the trailhead may be worse than doing nothing.

Most people have finally realized the importance of wiping off excess lube after application. Too few realize the importance of wiping off the accumulated gunk before lubing to avoid mobilizing it and delivering it straight into the pivots.

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 15:07 Quote
jpsnowride wrote:

You ever seen what they use to clean wildlife after an oil spill? How about cleaning some dirty food caked pots/pans? LoL

I clean my chain/drive train maybe 3 times/season. Usually ride 2 - 3 times/week. Terrain is pretty chill in my neck of the woods...

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 4:20 Quote
This Park Tool QKCG24 Bike Chain Cleaning Kit works really great. It cleans everything so well! The tool has reversible handle, clamps to hold top and bottom together and all the brushes come out for cleaning or replacement. The brushes inside are easily removed and can be taken apart. The bottom plug has a decent magnet and always picks up the ferrous materials when cleaning the chain. The little plastic brush that it comes with is great for getting into your cassette and clearing out anything between the gears.

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 10:21 Quote
DoctorJD wrote:
I used to put Simple Green in mine. Actually, I still use Simple Green to clean my chain and drivetrain, just not in the chain cleaner thingy. Just be careful with it around bare aluminum, it will etch it if you use it full-strength.

I use simpe green tho for my chain in my chain cleaner worck verry great and non-toxic and biodegradable

i use it on my car two

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023197
Mobile Version of Website