21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Apr 4, 2024 at 20:28 Quote
Subversion-Garage wrote:
bentin wrote:
Subversion-Garage wrote:

Ok, so the S1-S4 seatstay is 148mm, but I couldn't find the length for the S5-S6

Again, I think the previous post was incorrect as even Specialized lists longer chainstays on the S5-S6 (446 vs 436.) I measured my S5 seatstays at 420mm, if someone would like to compare those to S1-S4 seatstays.

I just cut and pasted the listed measurements without realizing 148mm is just under 6". However, if we are going to compare measurements, then we need a common reference point.

A-B center-to-center on my S4 is 16"

photo

The points between pivot points are the same. The difference is in the distance between the pivot and the axle.

O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2024 at 4:09 Quote
seanfeezy wrote:
seanfeezy wrote:
I don’t know where I got 451. Seems like speci says 438 and 448. When I compared my two seat stays the axle mount was about a centimeter longer on the “long”

Ok found it. https://www.specialized.com/hn/en/app/stumpjumper-evo-geometry?&ht=2&hp=0&ws=0&sz=4

I run my bike in the low setting. Chainstay length is 451 on the s5.

Should be 453, I’m not sure how you’re getting 451 on the chainstay length for an S5 in low BB setting from the geo finder

Posted: Apr 5, 2024 at 7:02 Quote
Kevindhansen wrote:
seanfeezy wrote:
seanfeezy wrote:
I don’t know where I got 451. Seems like speci says 438 and 448. When I compared my two seat stays the axle mount was about a centimeter longer on the “long”

Ok found it. https://www.specialized.com/hn/en/app/stumpjumper-evo-geometry?&ht=2&hp=0&ws=0&sz=4

I run my bike in the low setting. Chainstay length is 451 on the s5.

Should be 453, I’m not sure how you’re getting 451 on the chainstay length for an S5 in low BB setting from the geo finder

You’re right. I was selecting the 27.5 option, but with the Wrp yoke I have a mullet setup with the 29er geo. 453 claimed.

Posted: Apr 5, 2024 at 8:31 Quote
seanfeezy wrote:
The points between pivot points are the same. The difference is in the distance between the pivot and the axle.

Doh! At least that answers what would have been my next question lol

I will edit my previous post to not confuse anyone later.

Posted: Apr 5, 2024 at 14:43 Quote
Subversion-Garage wrote:
seanfeezy wrote:

Doh! At least that answers what would have been my next question lol

I will edit my previous post to not confuse anyone later.

Yeah I’m sorry for how confused/mistaken I’ve been. This is just something that I haven’t really seen many people do and numbers aren’t really my strong point so it’s hard for me to keep it all straight in my head! Bike is running absolutely sick though, I LOVE the way it handles now

O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2024 at 18:12 Quote
Are there aftermarket downtube protectors available for the alloy stumpy evo? Not tape protection like ride wrap, but more of a solid rubber or plastic protector like most bikes come with stock.

Just picked up an alloy elite frame and the bare exposed downtube worries me.

O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2024 at 19:04 Quote
yeagermeister28 wrote:
Are there aftermarket downtube protectors available for the alloy stumpy evo? Not tape protection like ride wrap, but more of a solid rubber or plastic protector like most bikes come with stock.

I added the lizard skin downtube protector
https://www.lizardskins.com/product-details?h=large-frame-protector-carbon-leather&c=bike_protection&t=large_frame_protector&v=0

I also added the ride wrap shuttle guard too since I mostly transport in the back of my truck

O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2024 at 21:50 Quote
Kevindhansen wrote:
yeagermeister28 wrote:

I added the lizard skin downtube protector
https://www.lizardskins.com/product-details?h=large-frame-protector-carbon-leather&c=bike_protection&t=large_frame_protector&v=0

I also added the ride wrap shuttle guard too since I mostly transport in the back of my truck

Thanks for the rec, that's perfect! Any chance you have any pictures of it installed? Just curious of the fit and look with it being a universal stick on protector.

O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2024 at 23:00 Quote
I went to my local specialized dealer and asked if they had any spare downtube protectors for their carbon stumpys, they gave me one for like $10, and glued it on with double sided 3m tape. Looks pretty much factory. If I think of it next time I go riding I'll grab a pic for you. Yeah, that exposed belly worried me too, and the scars on my downtube protector really makes me glad I installed it.

Posted: Apr 11, 2024 at 23:53 Quote
I’ve got a Rockguardz which I modified a bit (filed out the bolt holes) so I could fit it under the stock protector. It’s longer and wider. I’m glad I did because last year I had a rock strike that destroyed the stock protector and gouged the Rockguardz protector, but the frame underneath was fine. I’ve also got Ridewrap on mine as well.

Posted: Apr 12, 2024 at 0:28 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
I’ve got a Rockguardz which I modified a bit (filed out the bolt holes) so I could fit it under the stock protector. It’s longer and wider. I’m glad I did because last year I had a rock strike that destroyed the stock protector and gouged the Rockguardz protector, but the frame underneath was fine. I’ve also got Ridewrap on mine as well.
This is exactly what I did with mine. It works well. I have some serious gouges in the stock one, I'm so glad I read some of the other comments on here and added the rockguardz

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2024 at 7:36 Quote
Anybody with an alloy evo run into an issue with the cable entry cover on the top tube not tightening down all the way?

Noticed the bolt was loose causing the cables/cover to rattle. Made sure it was lined up correct, but bolt would only get about halfway in and stop. Took nearly no pressure to start rounding off the bolt head too being a tiny 2.5mil. Super minor issue and I’d just leave it alone if it wasn’t rattling…

photo

Posted: Apr 15, 2024 at 3:00 Quote
yeagermeister28 wrote:
Anybody with an alloy evo run into an issue with the cable entry cover on the top tube not tightening down all the way?

Noticed the bolt was loose causing the cables/cover to rattle. Made sure it was lined up correct, but bolt would only get about halfway in and stop. Took nearly no pressure to start rounding off the bolt head too being a tiny 2.5mil. Super minor issue and I’d just leave it alone if it wasn’t rattling…

photo

I'm pretty sure the bolt is not proper aligned. Bolt location is covered by to cables so it's a very tricky place to reach it on the right angle with a hex tool and alloy bolt head is super easy to snap. Though, it's just a regular m4 bolt.

I would first try to screw the bolt in with the plastic cover removed not to break the thread inside the frame. High quality hex tool would also help.

Posted: Apr 15, 2024 at 4:42 Quote
Hi,

did anyone tried to change rear shock stroke on Evo from 55 to 50 mm, basically changing travel from 150 to 135ish mm?

There is killer deal on an 2023 ST Evo expert that is hard to ignore, and would like to make it more of a trail bike than an enduro rig. Frame is light enough, HTA can be easily adjusted to steeper setting, basically polar opposite of what most people would do :-)

Posted: Apr 15, 2024 at 19:17 Quote
sayrius wrote:
yeagermeister28 wrote:

photo

I'm pretty sure the bolt is not proper aligned. Bolt location is covered by to cables so it's a very tricky place to reach it on the right angle with a hex tool and alloy bolt head is super easy to snap. Though, it's just a regular m4 bolt.

I would first try to screw the bolt in with the plastic cover removed not to break the thread inside the frame. High quality hex tool would also help.

This is what I wanted to say. I had a similar issue. I had to push the cover down (HARD) to get the bolt to go in straight.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012843
Mobile Version of Website