21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Feb 21, 2022 at 18:11 Quote
crazyrob wrote:
Dabroski-5 wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with the LT cascade link? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

If you dig through this post, you'll see lots of us have been using the link, myself included. As it's increasing travel, it does require a bit heavier spring rate, so larger riders may get close out their suspension. Other than that, it's been great!

He’s in the wrong thread, he’s looking for info on the older Stumpy LT, not the current EVO

Posted: Feb 21, 2022 at 18:22 Quote
chunter wrote:
crazyrob wrote:
Dabroski-5 wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with the LT cascade link? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

If you dig through this post, you'll see lots of us have been using the link, myself included. As it's increasing travel, it does require a bit heavier spring rate, so larger riders may get close out their suspension. Other than that, it's been great!

He’s in the wrong thread, he’s looking for info on the older Stumpy LT, not the current EVO

Oh no sry i meant the EVO just got the alloy and im excited to try out the cascade link

Posted: Feb 21, 2022 at 18:32 Quote
Jedimtnbiker wrote:
Robs-Primal-Life wrote:
DVO Team Racing the Socal Enduro Bobby on a STEVO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M06Y_ddZ_tk

Should be SoCal XC race...not a very "Enduro" trail
That is the pedal stage, not very technical I agree. The other stages are technical at the top and then a sprint to the finish.

Posted: Feb 21, 2022 at 20:02 Quote
Dabroski-5 wrote:
chunter wrote:
crazyrob wrote:

Oh no sry i meant the EVO just got the alloy and im excited to try out the cascade link

It’s good, there are no downsides unless you’re running the old DPX2 and much over 200 pounds as you’ll be up against the 350 psi max due to increased travel and more progressive rates. I took my pressure up about 35 psi from the stock link to make sag the same, and at 190 pounds, that has me around 315 psi.

Posted: Feb 21, 2022 at 21:15 Quote
Finally got to install and test the Topaz 2 today. No real trail time, just rolled some greenway trails in town with a few small side hits. Immediate impressions are that it is much more supportive out of the box. Without putting any volume spacers in it, It's already got better mid stroke and bottom out resistance than a dpx2 with max spacer and over inflation.

For reference, I'm a 195lb rider on a S-works Stevo S6 with a cascade components link. I was riding about 315 psi on the dpx2. With the Topaz 2, I set it to 250psi with 190 psi bladder pressure, giving 15.25mm sag. I haven't opened up the air sleeve to verify, but I'm assuming there's no spacers stock as they provided a complete retail set.

Hopefully the weather becomes more cooperative this week. Hitting jump lines in 20mph winds is no fun. But so far, I'm impressed. It was immediately a noticeable improvement.

photo
2022 DVO Topaz 2 installed on 2021 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo S6

Posted: Feb 22, 2022 at 14:26 Quote
crazyrob wrote:
Finally got to install and test the Topaz 2 today. No real trail time, just rolled some greenway trails in town with a few small side hits. Immediate impressions are that it is much more supportive out of the box. Without putting any volume spacers in it, It's already got better mid stroke and bottom out resistance than a dpx2 with max spacer and over inflation.

For reference, I'm a 195lb rider on a S-works Stevo S6 with a cascade components link. I was riding about 315 psi on the dpx2. With the Topaz 2, I set it to 250psi with 190 psi bladder pressure, giving 15.25mm sag. I haven't opened up the air sleeve to verify, but I'm assuming there's no spacers stock as they provided a complete retail set.

Hopefully the weather becomes more cooperative this week. Hitting jump lines in 20mph winds is no fun. But so far, I'm impressed. It was immediately a noticeable improvement.

photo
2022 DVO Topaz 2 installed on 2021 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo S6

I had the Topaz on my V3 Mach 6...It's a way better shock than the DPX2. I have the X with the RX tune with .6 spacer and Cascade Link and its really good...I have the DPX2 on my LEVO SL with a .6 spacer and the Cascade Link and its just NOT as good. Might go coil on the LSL or even give the Topaz a go on it.

The X is butter smooth and the DPX2 is just immediate and harsh feeling.

Let us know when you get it out and about for drops and such...interested to see how it performs.

Posted: Feb 27, 2022 at 10:02 Quote
Wondering if you guys have any feedback on running a coil on this bike? I’ve looked back at the thread, some people said it was mostly the previous frame gen that experienced issues but someone also mentioned they took the coil version of the EVO off the market and that specialized mentioned some “compatibility issues” without going into details. Anyone here has been running a coil for a while without any issues?

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2022 at 17:41 Quote
[Quote="Jedimtnbiker"]
crazyrob wrote:

Sounds like my experience going from the DPX2 to the Float X. Or hell, the DPX2 to the Super Deluxe Ultimate. For us heavier riders (200 lb +), the DPX2 is just overwhelmed.

Posted: Feb 27, 2022 at 18:45 Quote
kjbn wrote:
Wondering if you guys have any feedback on running a coil on this bike? I’ve looked back at the thread, some people said it was mostly the previous frame gen that experienced issues but someone also mentioned they took the coil version of the EVO off the market and that specialized mentioned some “compatibility issues” without going into details. Anyone here has been running a coil for a while without any issues?
Ran a DHX2 for months with no issues and then blew it twice within weeks and decided it was better to get out and sell it before any further damage happened. Such a bummer because that set up was amazing.

I think there’s a few people running coils with thicker shafts that aren’t having any issues.

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2022 at 19:27 Quote
iamenduro14 wrote:
kjbn wrote:
Ran a DHX2 for months with no issues and then blew it twice within weeks and decided it was better to get out and sell it before any further damage happened. Such a bummer because that set up was amazing.

I think there’s a few people running coils with thicker shafts that aren’t having any issues.

Yep. The DHX2 has and still has a weak seal head. They tend to blow out frequently on any suspension design. The FSR horst-link puts too much lateral stress on the shock shaft, accelerates the degradation of the already weak DHX2 seal head. Unfortunately for lesser shocks running much heavier spring rates, that stress also deforms the shock shaft at full compression and will snap the shaft in half, ending in a catastrophic failure of the shock, and a really bad day for the rider.

The revised 2021+ FSR horst link on the new EVO's transmits much less lateral load on the shock shaft, the yoke was redesigned as well as kinematics. But obviously, Specialized wants to eliminate any possibility of issues so they are steering clear of builds with coil springs.

The strongest shaft/seal head shocks out there are EXT, Fox Vanilla/Marzocchi Bomber and Ohlins. I ran an Ohlins TTX coil with a Cane Creek progressive coil (650 lb) with a Cascade link on my 2020 EVO and had zero problems. I would not think twice to run an Ohlins coil on one of my 22' SJ EVO's

Posted: Mar 1, 2022 at 22:37 Quote
Hi anyone has any long term feedback on living with the stumpy Evo in the 63deg headtube angle ? I probably should have bought an enduro so wondering if longerterm adjusting the head tube on the stumpjumper is practical and good enough for now …

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2022 at 8:02 Quote
What does that have to do with comparing it to the enduro? The enduro is not that slack. I have both and no, there is no way to make the evo comparable to the enduro in terms of suspension. I do love the evo in the low slack setting though. I live in western North Carolina and pedal up for reference.

MarkGirgis wrote:
Hi anyone has any long term feedback on living with the stumpy Evo in the 63deg headtube angle ? I probably should have bought an enduro so wondering if longerterm adjusting the head tube on the stumpjumper is practical and good enough for now …

Posted: Mar 2, 2022 at 8:38 Quote
Agreed, the Enduro is a whole other animal. I've run my EVO in low and slack quite a bit, it works really well. I tend to run it in the high setting locally because of rocks, but have used the mid and slack headset options quite a bit.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2022 at 9:14 Quote
MarkGirgis wrote:

Its fun, but also depends on what you ride. Its not a DH bike so the bike will slap you a bit if you throw it down a DH line, but the 63 head angle on steep less chunky stuff is a blast. It isnt snappy at that angle so if you are looking to put down some more XC lines or tight forest lines, it is a bit cumbersome, but thats why its changeable.

Posted: Mar 3, 2022 at 3:15 Quote
Thanks gents
It’s not an enduro comparison, but seeing if it’s practical and capable for steep d/h runs (not racing) or if the adjustments are just gimmicky. I’ve only run it in the mid angle and low setting which are fun, but im not that confident on technical or steep d/h.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015985
Mobile Version of Website