Does anyone have experience with Spank vibrocore bars and how they feel compared to regular alloy and carbon. I like a stiff bar that doesn't flex and the steering feels direct but at the same time I like the damping properties my previous carbon bars had. Would the Vibrocores give me what I'm looking for?
Fwiw as one guy’s experience, Vibrocores are noticeably easier on the hands and arms than the SixCs that they replaced. Can’t tell any difference in steering accuracy.
I had vibrocore bars on same bike I previously had cheap stock 35 aluminum bar and a renthal fat bar 35 and there was no real difference to me. Some people swear by them. I can tell you oneup carbon is a waste of money, it looks cool and that’s about it.
got a one up 35mm bar and a vibrocore bar (oozy and spike). They try to do different things. the one up is more pliable than the spank bar but you do get less buzz with the spank. depends if you want to loose a bit of weight or don't mind the extra. They are fairly close in price here.
I don't want pliable or 'flex' , just buzz damping like you say. My cheap carbon bars and previous Renthal lite carbons did well at absorbing buzz but also feel a bit flexy and not as direct as I like.
Vibrocore was better. I think mostly the sweep fits my hands better, but it did feel a bit less buzzy after a big decent.
All 3 MTB have the vibrocore bars now, the renthal got passed onto a mate- who loves it- and the sixC is sat langushing in the spares box as I won't have lost money on it until I sell it.
Think I'm just gonna go for it, I had Renthal carbons in the past so feel like a change, not fussed about an extra 100g static weight on an enduro sled. Only thing to decide now is do I want the black one with yellow logos or the red anodized one, I've got yellow accents on my build, Ohlins spring, painted ZEB lowers yellow ect but a few red details too so the red may make the front end look a bit more pimped out... Coming from Hopes my XTR brake levers don't look trick enough sitting on black bars. On the shelf though I love the yellow on black spanks...First world problems XD
Think I'm just gonna go for it, I had Renthal carbons in the past so feel like a change, not fussed about an extra 100g static weight on an enduro sled. Only thing to decide now is do I want the black one with yellow logos or the red anodized one, I've got yellow accents on my build, Ohlins spring, painted ZEB lowers yellow ect but a few red details too so the red may make the front end look a bit more pimped out... Coming from Hopes my XTR brake levers don't look trick enough sitting on black bars. On the shelf though I love the yellow on black spanks...First world problems XD
The anno colors seems to stay nice and colorful, my 2 year old blue bar looks almost new.
Yea I didn't even realise for ages you could get the vibrocores in a anno, I saw the standard non vibrocore spikes in anno but everywhere I looked the Vibrocores were all black with different coloured logos, even Spanks own website only shows those options. But I came across a video on youtube of Spank saying they were bringing out anno vibrocores back in 2018 and eventually I found a retailer in Germany stocking them, I don't know if they have since been discontinued but I'm hoping to get hold of a red one if I can.
I love my Vibrocore bars. On long downhills it does dampen the sharp vibrations you can get through typical aluminum bars and it greatly improved hand fatigue for me.
Well, I think a lot of this falls to marketing hype, much like anything these days and especially in mountain biking.
My hands would fall asleep/tingle on many rides that did not involve lots of up/down elevation changes. I ride a carbon Ripmo on ibis carbon rims with a fox 36 factory and fox x2 factory and 2.5 inch tires inflated to 23f/25r psi. This was with 35 mm aluminum bar with 10mm rise and ergon gp1 grips.
The most effective change I made was to increase my stack height via increasing handlebar rise. I went with a 40mm rise renthal 35mm diameter aluminum bar. That took a ton of pressure off my hands and solved the numbness problem. I also reset my suspensions settings to fully open, set sag at 25% front and 25% rear and am gradually adding rebound damping. I have yet to add any compression damping.
You can spend a ton of money on cool stuff if you wish. I know I do regularly. But I have been really surprised at how cheaply this $85 bar and some setting changes have helped.
Well, I think a lot of this falls to marketing hype, much like anything these days and especially in mountain biking.
My hands would fall asleep/tingle on many rides that did not involve lots of up/down elevation changes. I ride a carbon Ripmo on ibis carbon rims with a fox 36 factory and fox x2 factory and 2.5 inch tires inflated to 23f/25r psi. This was with 35 mm aluminum bar with 10mm rise and ergon gp1 grips.
The most effective change I made was to increase my stack height via increasing handlebar rise. I went with a 40mm rise renthal 35mm diameter aluminum bar. That took a ton of pressure off my hands and solved the numbness problem. I also reset my suspensions settings to fully open, set sag at 25% front and 25% rear and am gradually adding rebound damping. I have yet to add any compression damping.
You can spend a ton of money on cool stuff if you wish. I know I do regularly. But I have been really surprised at how cheaply this $85 bar and some setting changes have helped.
The 35mm bar might be a large part of your problem. I haven't had a 35mm bar personally but a lot of people report it's pretty hard on your hands compared to 31.8
I agree. 31.8 is probably better for vibration damping since it can have more flex. I definitely went with the "bigger must be better" approach when I built up my bike. Notably, Ibis only make their carbon bar in 31.8mm. It was sold out at the time of my recent bar upgrade so I opted for the frugal approach and chose to trial an $85 35mm aluminum bar with more rise over changing stem and handlebar both. Now my problems are solved. No more numbness.
Well, I think a lot of this falls to marketing hype, much like anything these days and especially in mountain biking.
My hands would fall asleep/tingle on many rides that did not involve lots of up/down elevation changes. I ride a carbon Ripmo on ibis carbon rims with a fox 36 factory and fox x2 factory and 2.5 inch tires inflated to 23f/25r psi. This was with 35 mm aluminum bar with 10mm rise and ergon gp1 grips.
The most effective change I made was to increase my stack height via increasing handlebar rise. I went with a 40mm rise renthal 35mm diameter aluminum bar. That took a ton of pressure off my hands and solved the numbness problem. I also reset my suspensions settings to fully open, set sag at 25% front and 25% rear and am gradually adding rebound damping. I have yet to add any compression damping.
You can spend a ton of money on cool stuff if you wish. I know I do regularly. But I have been really surprised at how cheaply this $85 bar and some setting changes have helped.
Welcome to the world of needing a custom tune for your fork. Never buy high end Fox, it’s almost always highly over damped garbage. When everyone runs it wide open with way too little air pressure... it’s junk.
Well, I think a lot of this falls to marketing hype, much like anything these days and especially in mountain biking.
My hands would fall asleep/tingle on many rides that did not involve lots of up/down elevation changes. I ride a carbon Ripmo on ibis carbon rims with a fox 36 factory and fox x2 factory and 2.5 inch tires inflated to 23f/25r psi. This was with 35 mm aluminum bar with 10mm rise and ergon gp1 grips.
The most effective change I made was to increase my stack height via increasing handlebar rise. I went with a 40mm rise renthal 35mm diameter aluminum bar. That took a ton of pressure off my hands and solved the numbness problem. I also reset my suspensions settings to fully open, set sag at 25% front and 25% rear and am gradually adding rebound damping. I have yet to add any compression damping.
You can spend a ton of money on cool stuff if you wish. I know I do regularly. But I have been really surprised at how cheaply this $85 bar and some setting changes have helped.
Welcome to the world of needing a custom tune for your fork. Never buy high end Fox, it’s almost always highly over damped garbage. When everyone runs it wide open with way too little air pressure... it’s junk.
Well tbh my PUSH 11/6 I also found overdamped and oversprung so it's not only mainstream brands... My 11/6 I dropped spring weight by 40lbs and turned damping from 12 and 14 clicks to fully open. I think this is more an issue with USA manufactures assumung everyone rides flow trails or something as many suspension tuners here in the UK agree that PUSH ect is overdamped regardless of whatever hocus pocus wizardry PUSH claims they do with their shock development... My sb165 with 11/6 and stock PUSH settings was more harsh and had worse small bump compliance than my previous sb6 running a second hand battered dhx 5.0 with a leaking IFP chamber.... So I don't buy into the bullcrap of these pre-tuned 'custom tunes' either..