Dirt Jump Etiquette Lakewood CO

PB Forum :: USA - Rockies & Midwest
Dirt Jump Etiquette Lakewood CO
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 22:31 Quote
Hi guys!

I'm picking up a DJ tomorrow and live in Lakewood CO. There is Ruby Hill near by but there is a smaller, unmarked DJ track closer to me and it looks sweet. Obviously, I'm going to figure out how to ride the DJ at Ruby Hill but would eventually like to go to this "secret" track.

I have questions because I don't know anything about the DJ culture and I get the vibe that its a lot like surfer culture in the way that I don't want to just start riding there without permission.

How do you get permission to ride a secret DJ track? I am fairly certain it is not on private property and what they have going on is pretty serious, I'm surprised the feds haven't shut it down.

Is it called a DJ track or DJ park?

I know the saying "No dig, no ride." but what if you've never dug? How do you learn to dig dug?

Also, I'm 30. So its not like I'm some punk kid. Just some dumb ass that's not quite old or young.

Honestly, I'm hoping that somebody who is affiliated with the track will read this post and let me know what's up.

Thanks for any info!

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 5:05 Quote
I may be wrong but that could be Barnum park you are talking about, Valmont has a good DJ crew as well as Broomfield/McKay lake bike park great way to meet some folks in that genre ! I’m not much help with this category as I have a dh bike and am not smooth enough for a dj just yet !

FL
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 19:57 Quote
I don't think it's Barnum since I think that park is associated with Trestle so I'm sure that wouldn't be secret.

But as far as "No dig, no ride" goes in CO is that you will want to water down the jumps a little and flat pack with a shovel. But not so much to change the angle of lip or landing. The lips of the jumps out here can get really dry and crumble which results in a lot more work to get them running right again.

Ruby Hill which as you probably know works differently since they have a work crew there. Everything is rock solid so casing things won't ruin the landings in comparison to jumps that may be a bit more fragile. I ride there most often since most of it doable on my dh bike and pretty close. Hope this helps and if you want to ride at Ruby Hill sometime then I'd be down.

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 23:34 Quote
Trekbiker2 wrote:
I don't think it's Barnum since I think that park is associated with Trestle so I'm sure that wouldn't be secret.

But as far as "No dig, no ride" goes in CO is that you will want to water down the jumps a little and flat pack with a shovel. But not so much to change the angle of lip or landing. The lips of the jumps out here can get really dry and crumble which results in a lot more work to get them running right again.

Ruby Hill which as you probably know works differently since they have a work crew there. Everything is rock solid so casing things won't ruin the landings in comparison to jumps that may be a bit more fragile. I ride there most often since most of it doable on my dh bike and pretty close. Hope this helps and if you want to ride at Ruby Hill sometime then I'd be down.

Its not Barnum.

Ill take a shovel and some water with me. Thanks for the info. I definitely didnt want to modify the jumps.

Pending the wind, Ill probably be at Ruby Hill for an hour or two tomorrow around 2pm. Just slapped a new tube on the DJ, cant wait to get a first ride on it.

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 14:24 Quote
Hey man also looking to start DJ there so message me and Im down to ride with ya.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 9:51 Quote
Not sure of the exact spot you're referring to but a general rule is if they aren't gated or chained off and there aren't any signs stating keep off then they're open for riding. I would just use common sense with regards to if a jump looks like it is in rough shape don't ride it. Water if you can. When watering you want to get the dirt wet but not muddy. Just enough for the dirt to soak it up to help it retain it's structure so it won't crumble. Might be a good idea to go out on a weekend and see if you can catch someone there riding.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 15:01 Quote
Those may be the jumps off Morison road I’m going to go check that area out but I’d say as long as there’s nothing saying it’s private just go for it but on the other hand if it is try to see if you can do anything to help them maintain everything and then they will probably let you ride whenever.

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 13:50 Quote
The spot in Lakewood is Sunset, which has been there since the mid '90. A line or two will get worked on each summer by various guy who don't want to hit Ruby, Barnum, Broomfield or Valmont.
Morrison jumps are No Dig, No Ride and are chained up. You need to get to know the fellas and be invited to jump there after working with them for a bit.
Want to learn how to build/maintain jumps? Summertime volunteer dig/ride sessions are Monday afternoons at Ruby and Wednesday afternoons at Barnum.
Follow @denverbikeparks or @runes_d on IG for info about when these will start back up for 2022

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 13:51 Quote
The spot in Lakewood is Sunset, which has been there since the mid '90. A line or two will get worked on each summer by various guy who don't want to hit Ruby, Barnum, Broomfield or Valmont.
Morrison jumps are No Dig, No Ride and are chained up. You need to get to know the fellas and be invited to jump there after working with them for a bit.
Want to learn how to build/maintain jumps? Summertime volunteer dig/ride sessions are Monday afternoons at Ruby and Wednesday afternoons at Barnum.
Follow @denverbikeparks or @runes_d on IG for info about when these will start back up for 2022

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008477
Mobile Version of Website