Moto riders, how to set up your mtb brakes? Rear brake on L or R?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Moto riders, how to set up your mtb brakes? Rear brake on L or R?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 19:18 Quote
All, I'm a long time cyclist and I'm about to get into adventure riding on a motorcycle. I'm a little worried about reflexively grabbing a fistfull of right hand brake and locking up the front brake instead of the rear.
Any advice?

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 19:30 Quote
Have you ridden motorcycles before? I have never had an issue. I can jump from to the other right after and ride. Different disciplines. But, I have ridden both off and on a good bit of my adult life outside of my college years. I know somw friends switch the brakes on theor bicycles, but there really is not much you can do going the other way. Practice in the drive just using the rear brake to stop and stop, balance, etc. The clutch adds enough change for me that it doesn't affect me.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 20:12 Quote
Grew up riding dirt bikes and bicycles so I could go back and forth no problem, the throttle and clutch and foot position are all different. Probably was weird for a couple rides when I was young.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 21:55 Quote
I have all my bikes set up with the front brake on the right.as it just feels more natural.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 8:09 Quote
I ride moto and I mountain bike. Controls are opposite but it doesn't seem to be an issue for me. I can nose wheelie both very well too.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 11:26 Quote
I don't have a motorcycle anymore, but I never had any trouble going back and forth. You use the clutch so much, you are working a twist throttle, and using both feet for controls, it reinforces that it is a totally different beast. Maybe it is because grew up riding dirt bikes though.

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 20:03 Quote
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the insights.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010290
Mobile Version of Website