Official Calgary Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Calgary Riders Thread
O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 12:02 Quote
acdownhill wrote:
now all of this is subjective to how nice our weather is, some of this could still be muddy/snowy in May.

Razors Edge will be right up your alley, Id recommend parking at barrier lake and do the Prairie View climb, then take prairie view DH till you get to razors, go down razors to the highway, then climb back up quaite valley and then down Jewel pass. that makes for an awesome day, bout 21km and 1000m of climbing. But any of those trails on their own are great too. awesome technical riding and amazing views at the top. Razors is pretty challenging so might want to have a warm up day before stepping into it right away.

For moose, the shuttle road opens on the 15th of may. if the road is still closed it is a good easy climb (although very dull) and then depending on what you like pick a trail and make your way down to the valley. when the road is open I usually opt for riding up family guy, its not a bad up trail but be advised that you gotta keep an eye out for people coming down to avoid any conflicts. Jean Guy and T-dub are some favorites for the more technical DH, and definitely can put the AM rig for a test. SHAFT is a bit more flowy and simple, a good intro to show people what moose is all about IMO, if you ride that and find it too tough, then the rest will not really be for you. if your looking for a pure flow trail then try out 7-27, although it doesnt really work well for doing a climb/decending and is a bit more aimed for the shuttle crowd.

Maybe try and befriend someone at moose to show you the Husky road trails. they have no beta online as they are nor sanctioned/legal trails. But Loamzilla and 4th horseman and some trails that shall not eb named are some of my favorites. they have some crazy steep sections!

West Bragg has some fun more mellow trails, its usually my go to when I want to ride alone. easier terrain, yet very well maintained. the trails are more XC oriented, but Merlinview, Long Distance, and Bobcat are my short list of favorites out there.

Cox hill is another local favorite, but make sure you bring your climbing legs.never done it myself, but everyone raves about it.

Powderface ridge is an awesome trail in the hwy 66 area as well!

Prospectors near exshaw is an awesome singletrack trail that has a bit of it all, some wood features, some roots, some climbing, some rock slabs. I usually suggest people ride this trail before trying out razors edge. If this trail scares you at all then i wouldn't suggest doing razors edge.

These are fantastic suggestions and exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. I will definitely be trying some of these suggestions out.

What are the chances of most of these trails being snow free and rideable by end of May? I'm thinking maybe I should plan the trip as late into the spring as possible, maybe push it out to early June. I'll be pretty flexible on timing.

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 14:17 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
I'm really looking for anything that's a "must ride" in the area, from DH to XC. Will have a good do it all 5" bike with me, but am a dh'er at heart even though I'll be leaving the DH bike at home for this trip.

Thanks for the suggestions. West Bragg Creek and Moose Mtn were already on my radar and had been planning to visit there. I won't be shuttling though, will most likely be solo. Are there any good climbing trails on Moose Mtn?

Razors edge is a new one to me, will definitely check that out too.

I'm from Ajax myself but have lived here going on 4 years now. My best recommendation for you would be exactly what people here have been saying. Razors being number 1 go to for sure. Definitely check out the Husky side at moose, the dirt there is totally different from anything you can find in Ontario. Prospector is also a sweet trail that gives you a nice mixture of different decents. Feel free to shoot me a message, see if we can't get a shuttle day organized for when you're out here.

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 14:37 Quote
Hey Guys, Our shop got broken into the other night and they made off with a Rocky Mountain Pipeline 750 if you could keep your eyes open for one it would be much appreciated. Bike thieves suck!

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 14:46 Quote
freerider11 wrote:

These are fantastic suggestions and exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. I will definitely be trying some of these suggestions out.

What are the chances of most of these trails being snow free and rideable by end of May? I'm thinking maybe I should plan the trip as late into the spring as possible, maybe push it out to early June. I'll be pretty flexible on timing.

No Problem! always happy to help people see some of the best trails Alberta has to offer. you will not be disappointed. feel free to PM me if you want someone to show you a trail or two, usually go out one or two time s a week at least and always happy to have riding buddies.

Id say you might be safer to plan for the very end of may or in June sometime. May is probably one of the most finicky months here for weather, and more often than not we will get rain and snow on the long weekend in May(happens nearly every year), and unlike the loam of the coast, with how much clay is in our dirt it means no riding when it is wet. Follow the weather here closer to may and make a choice, if it is still snowy, then it will probably be a little bit before the trails are good to go.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 6:28 Quote
Thanks alot guys. Really appreciate all the recommendations and offers to show me around. As I mentioned, I'm pretty flexible on timing but want to do it as early in the year as possible as I'm also planning a couple weeks in BC later in the summer and can't have the 2 trips too close to one another because of work obligations. I'll post up on here as the date gets closer to get an update on current trail and weather conditions, then make a decision on when I'll head out. Would be awesome to have someone to show me some of the trails too if schedules work out. Looking forward to it. Never done any riding in Alberta.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 21:12 Quote
And if your staying in Calgary we have fish creek park with quite the trail network, makes you forget your in the big city.

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 14:06 Quote
Hey Calgary,

I am looking into the YT Industries Capra and was wondering if anyone has a Large frame bike that would be willing to do a little show and tell. Love the bike and the value, just feel like I would need to see it and check the fit based on my research.

I've got a case of beer for any takers! Feel free to PM or reply to the post....

Thanks!

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 15:21 Quote
opticalillusion wrote:
Hey Calgary,

I am looking into the YT Industries Capra and was wondering if anyone has a Large frame bike that would be willing to do a little show and tell. Love the bike and the value, just feel like I would need to see it and check the fit based on my research.

I've got a case of beer for any takers! Feel free to PM or reply to the post....

Thanks!

Just plug in your VR googles and take one for a test ride.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 0:47 Quote
@kmz. HAHAHAH your an ass

O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 11:40 Quote
Hey guys,
What Lbs in Calgary would you say is the best for getting a pair of wheels laced up? I just moved here from edmonton a few months ago and am not very familiar with the shops around here.

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 13:58 Quote
I recently got a set of DH wheels built at Bowcycle in Bowness, spokes were tensioned perfectly, and they were done and ready to pick up within a week, they even used the custom nipples i provided. Would recommend checking them out giving them a call.

Crimsonbomber wrote:
Hey guys,
What Lbs in Calgary would you say is the best for getting a pair of wheels laced up? I just moved here from edmonton a few months ago and am not very familiar with the shops around here.

O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 15:18 Quote
jakedoi wrote:
I recently got a set of DH wheels built at Bowcycle in Bowness, spokes were tensioned perfectly, and they were done and ready to pick up within a week, they even used the custom nipples i provided. Would recommend checking them out giving them a call.

Crimsonbomber wrote:
Hey guys,

I would also vouch for bow cycle. Not the cheapest but the two sets ive built there have been rock solid. No issues

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 16:28 Quote
+1 for Bowcycle. I have also had a set built from Cyclepath south which were quality and lasted a long time.

O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 18:45 Quote
If your on the west side of the city head to cochrane and go to bike bros. had a whell built up barely needed a tune up in 7yrs. Plus they have been voted best bike shop in Alberta 2 years in a row

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 19:09 Quote
Crimsonbomber wrote:
Hey guys,

Im a little bias on this,I used to work for Bow. If you go there make sure you get Lance to do it. If your up for the drive out to Cochrane I would be happy to build you a set of wheels. Shoot me a PM and I can get you sorted out.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018330
Mobile Version of Website