29" Hardcore Hardtail- 140/150mm travel

PB Forum :: 29ers
29" Hardcore Hardtail- 140/150mm travel
Previous Page |
Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 4:45 Quote
Heya Guys,

I want to get back into riding- and I want to do it gently and easily- hence the 29" option for easy rollover etc.

But I dont want a XC/Gravel bike- Id like something with some travel and with more of a Trail/enduro geo.

id also love a solid rear axle- 12mm/etc as I love a stiff back end.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 5:35 Quote
big-pete23 wrote:
Heya Guys,

I want to get back into riding- and I want to do it gently and easily- hence the 29" option for easy rollover etc.

But I dont want a XC/Gravel bike- Id like something with some travel and with more of a Trail/enduro geo.

id also love a solid rear axle- 12mm/etc as I love a stiff back end.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Budget? Your main issue might be getting ANY bike at the minute! If I was buying that kind of bike, I'd be looking at:

Commencal Meta HT
Nukeproof Scout
Something from Whyte
Bird Zero 29

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 5:48 Quote
Dartmore and Ragley also look good. Pre-orders for March/April:

https://www.bikeandspanner.co.uk/m1b0s2p0/Bikes/Mountain-Bikes-Front-Suspension

I have no personal experience with those brands, but Bike and Spanner are a great shop.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 12:57 Quote
Cheers lads.

Andy- Bike and spanner looks amazing! CRC could learn a thing or two!

Some frames I like the look of-
Nordest Bardino 2
Kingdom Vendetta X2
Dartmoor Bikes Primal PRO
Stanton Switchback

Like I said before- I want to build something easy to ride to get back into the sport and lose some corona weight! is there anything else I should be looking out for?

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 1:54 Quote
The only one of those bikes I have any experience with is the Stanton. Had a brief go one a couple of years ago and definitely enjoyed it and the guys at Stanton seem really nice. Spent ages chatting to the at Tweedlove. RE Kingdom, I am pretty skeptical of the benefits of Ti. How fast do you want it? If you can wait (for ages) BTR are worth a look. Amazing bikes.

Just for another point of view, a mid travel full susser will probably be "easier" to ride. Just a thought.

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 2:02 Quote
Ragley BigWig or BigAl would probably be close to what you want.

Also check https://www.pedalsbikecare.co.uk/ for a good selection of frames. You could look at Chromag or Banshee amongst others they could probably get you.

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 2:49 Quote
Cheers lads,

Full sus just isnt for me- not a fan of the back end squish.

ill look into BTR

And I like the look of the vendetta X2- id prefer if it where ali or steel but thats me being picky.

Ragley make fantastic bikes too- I was looking at the big AL but im swaying more towards the Dartmoor Primal 29 2021 currently.

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 1:30 Quote
There's a couple of good Ragley reviews by Hardtail Party on YT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AULQNFGOdx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFIpdIYQCSY

The Cotic SolarisMax and BfeMax would be worth a look too.

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 17:12 Quote
Pole Taival? Just build one up myself. Frame quality looks great, and steel

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 13:21 Quote
I dont know what Marin or Kona pricing is like in the UK but the El Roy and Honzo ESD are solid bikes.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 3:02 Quote
I've ordered a Vendetta X3 in Jan and should receive it mid March (fingers crossed). Before I pulled the trigger I chatted with a couple of Vendetta owners, and everyone recommended the X3 over the X2 (some fine Geo updates, especially a lower BB).

I've also considered a steel frame like the Stanton, but 1) I always wanted to have a Ti bike and 2) the weight advantage is nice especially as I can afford it at the moment. I just didn't like the thought that my (steel) HT would have the same weight as my full squish (frame). But if the budget is tight and one has to compromise around other parts (like wheels, fork) the weight advantage might easily be lost.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 5:56 Quote
I've recently built myself an Orange P7 29 and absolutely love it! Having a steel frame is nice for that extra bit of compliance, but its still light enough to cart up some pretty big climbs when I have to!

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 10:35 Quote
big-pete23 wrote:
Cheers lads,

Full sus just isnt for me- not a fan of the back end squish.

ill look into BTR

And I like the look of the vendetta X2- id prefer if it where ali or steel but thats me being picky.

Ragley make fantastic bikes too- I was looking at the big AL but im swaying more towards the Dartmoor Primal 29 2021 currently.

That frame looks like it is overbuilt yet has less aggressive geo. Just to throw something else in the mix. Anyone looking at hard-core hardtails should definitely include chromag in their list. Pipedream also has some nice frames.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 11:38 Quote
Just finished my 150mm 29er Hardtail this weekend. It’s not actually a 29er YET, but it will be in the not too distant future!
Currently giving 2.8in tyres a go, my first ride was comfortable and not pushing it too much, it feels light and... Nimble... I think it’s a little lighter than my BTR, I’m pretty sure I wasn’t as tired at the top of the climbs even with the chunky tyres.
2020 Canfield Nimble 9

Posted: Mar 25, 2021 at 3:13 Quote
https://www.youtube.com/c/hardtailparty/featured Check this guy, alot good reviews

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006315
Mobile Version of Website