Post your Starling

PB Forum :: Other
Post your Starling
O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2023 at 18:47 Quote
Has anyone else discovered an especially tight fit in their V3 seat tube? I understand the steel tube is a little oversized and an aluminum sleeve is brazed in and then reamed to the final 31.6mm diameter. Mine does not feel round. My new dropper post can be coaxed a few inches down with more force than I’m comfortable with before hitting a dead stop well above minimum insertion. I’ve tried multiple posts and even a 30.9 with a shim and all exhibit the same problem.

Posted: Jun 6, 2023 at 19:10 Quote
Sounds as if it needs a reaming

Posted: Jun 7, 2023 at 2:21 Quote
photo

Well, I haven't been on here for about 16 years, but found this thread courtesy of @fartymarty, so thought I'd share my recent build.

Stainless V3 size Large trail build
Pike Ultimate MY23
Custom TFT tuned Super Deluxe Ultimate
Pro 5s on XM481 Slik stealth graphics
CK Headset
Starling top cap
Middleburn cranks
XT 12 speed throughout
Magura MT Trail SL, 180mm/203mm
DH Sign stem with stainless faceplate
One Up 35mm carbon bar
BikeYoke Divine/Squeezy
Fabric scoop race
ESI Chunky grips
76 projects cable tidies
Some tyres

Posted: Jun 7, 2023 at 5:29 Quote
Gawd damn thats sick

Posted: Jun 7, 2023 at 12:32 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Gawd damn thats sick

I very nice, maybe a polished seat post tho... https://cog.konaworld.com/kona-dream-builds-rogers-honzo-esd/

Posted: Jun 11, 2023 at 14:57 Quote
New to me 2022 Lyrik Ultimate fork with a 42 offset instead of 51. Definitely calmed the wheelbase/length noticeably. Still a long bike… but much better… felt delicious too…

New utensil

Posted: Jun 25, 2023 at 10:57 Quote
Are the v3s shipping with two pairs of different shock mounts, or just one?

matarratas wrote:
1) the amount of travel you get for a given shock stroke,
This is easy. Starlings all have linear leverage ratios, so if you take a known travel and stroke for a specific model you can calculate travel for any stroke with the formula

(travel A/stroke A)(stroke B)=travel B.

So for example my v2 Murmur defaults to 140mm travel from 55mm stroke, so a shock with a 50mm stroke results in

(140/55)(50)=127mm travel

Posted: Jul 13, 2023 at 19:52 Quote
photo

This is my Murmur V3. Built up with bits from EXT, Formula, Shimano XT, We Are One, Renthal.

I am liking the bike but I am getting tire rub on my seat tube on bottom-out. This happens at least once a ride. I tried a heavier spring and while it has decreased the number of bottom-outs and hence tire rubs, I don't get enough sag and it has affected ride quality negatively.

Joe says this shouldn't happen and has hinted that the 2.4" tire in the rear may well be bigger than nominal size.

I am leaning towards throwing an air shock and seeing if the increased progression will help.

Does anybody else have experience with this?

Running EXT Storia V3 230x60, 400lb spring with Kryptotal 2.4's in the rear.

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2023 at 0:08 Quote
y7kim wrote:
photo

I am getting tire rub on my seat tube on bottom-out. This happens at least once a ride.

I'm only here to drool over your Starlings but that's a bummer as I'm getting mentally ready to order a Murmur or Twist and that kryptotal is my current favorite rear tire. The knobs on that are taller than say a DHRII but that sucks to hear...

Posted: Jul 14, 2023 at 4:28 Quote
y7kim - I haven't had a tyre rub but i'm on a V2 factory. What is the OD of the tyre including knobs? Have you tried increasing the hydraulic bottom out on the shock? I'm on an Ohlins which has a massive bottom out bumper.

I'm looking at Kryptotals - it would be a bummer if they rubbed. I have run 2.6 Bonty SE5s previously and they didn't rub.

You almost need something sacrifical on the seat tube so it wears thru that first.

Posted: Jul 14, 2023 at 8:42 Quote
Curious if they measure the tire volume a bit differently. Like they’re taller versus wider? I too am on 2.6 tires (specialized) and no rub at all.

Posted: Jul 14, 2023 at 8:49 Quote
Maybe it's an issue with running 150mm rear travel and a slightly larger diameter rear tyre?

IIRC the EXT shocks can have the travel reduced. It maybe worth knocking a few mm off the stroke so it doesnt rub.

Posted: Jul 14, 2023 at 9:56 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
y7kim - I haven't had a tyre rub but i'm on a V2 factory. What is the OD of the tyre including knobs? Have you tried increasing the hydraulic bottom out on the shock? I'm on an Ohlins which has a massive bottom out bumper.

I'm looking at Kryptotals - it would be a bummer if they rubbed. I have run 2.6 Bonty SE5s previously and they didn't rub.

You almost need something sacrifical on the seat tube so it wears thru that first.

I'll see if I can get around to measuring the tire.

The EXT Storia V3 has a factory set HBO that cannot be user adjusted unfortunately.

I have been using 3M tape on the tube and peeling that off when it starts to wear through but that is not sustainable.

Posted: Jul 14, 2023 at 9:59 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
Maybe it's an issue with running 150mm rear travel and a slightly larger diameter rear tyre?

IIRC the EXT shocks can have the travel reduced. It maybe worth knocking a few mm off the stroke so it doesnt rub.

Yes, I am also considering sending the shock off to have it reduced to 57.5mm from the 60mm. Other than the high cost, I worry that the harsh bottom-outs will remain, tire rub or not.

Posted: Jul 14, 2023 at 10:04 Quote
I didn't take a picture, but there is less than 5mm of clearance between the knobs and the seat tube under full compression with the spring removed. It is quite easy to make the rear flex past that for the tire to make contact.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013020
Mobile Version of Website