sooo... i dinged my wheel pretty bad. plz help

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
sooo... i dinged my wheel pretty bad. plz help
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 13, 2021 at 13:03 Quote
So, I have a Bontrager Line Comp 30 wheelset on my 2021 Trek Slash 8. The bike is amazing and I love it.
I went out on a ride today and had some fun, but I semi-cased a 1.5-foot gap, nowhere near the biggest feature I did that day (and I did not case the other ones).
To be clear, I didn't land on a square edge or anything, the jump was pretty small and the landing was lowkey and it was pretty flat with a rock and a branch as "case pad". It was more of a flat landing/huck than a jump. Anyways, I landed on the limit between the rock and the branch (think 2.5 inches diameter and half-buried branch).

I heard a spoke tensioning/shifting sound, so I stopped to look nothing. When I came home, my rear rim was dented and had crunched up on the left side. It was still holding air and I finished the ride without problems, but that's not normal. I get that my riding spot was pretty rocky, but I've jumped the rim already and it held up just fine (didn't even ever have to true or tension the spokes). Also, if you can't get away with not perfectly nailing a 1.5-foot hop, I really don't get it.
I've also seen people with alloy rims case the heck out of square-edged landing and get out unscathed.

My question is: will the fact that my problem came from not landing perfectly void Trek warranty?
I mean, it is a 180$ wheel so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to change the rim but I'd rather not have to pay for a rim that dented on me.

Does it fall under: Damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect.
Also, does the warranty include dented rims or only really smashed ones?

Plz help Smile

Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 12:28 Quote
timotheysski wrote:
So, I have a Bontrager Line Comp 30 wheelset on my 2021 Trek Slash 8. The bike is amazing and I love it.
I went out on a ride today and had some fun, but I semi-cased a 1.5-foot gap, nowhere near the biggest feature I did that day (and I did not case the other ones).
To be clear, I didn't land on a square edge or anything, the jump was pretty small and the landing was lowkey and it was pretty flat with a rock and a branch as "case pad". It was more of a flat landing/huck than a jump. Anyways, I landed on the limit between the rock and the branch (think 2.5 inches diameter and half-buried branch).

I heard a spoke tensioning/shifting sound, so I stopped to look nothing. When I came home, my rear rim was dented and had crunched up on the left side. It was still holding air and I finished the ride without problems, but that's not normal. I get that my riding spot was pretty rocky, but I've jumped the rim already and it held up just fine (didn't even ever have to true or tension the spokes). Also, if you can't get away with not perfectly nailing a 1.5-foot hop, I really don't get it.
I've also seen people with alloy rims case the heck out of square-edged landing and get out unscathed.

My question is: will the fact that my problem came from not landing perfectly void Trek warranty?
I mean, it is a 180$ wheel so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to change the rim but I'd rather not have to pay for a rim that dented on me.

Does it fall under: Damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect.
Also, does the warranty include dented rims or only really smashed ones?

Plz help Smile

I would email Trek or your shop where you got it. Like you said worse case scenario ur out 200 bucks. Broken rims are scary, I wouldn't ride it but you do you.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 13:15 Quote
Watch a YouTube video on how to straighten out a dinged rim. It’s actually really easy with a metal tire lever (or any flat piece of metal... butter knife?) and a crescent wrench. I got pretty good at it until I went with some liners. Or course if I chose better lines that would help but I don’t see that happening anytime soon! Good luck!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007960
Mobile Version of Website