Powered by Outside

Giant Yukon

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Yukon

Author Message
O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2021 at 19:51 Quote
Have the opportunity to pick up a 2021 Giant Yukon 1 locally

Wondering if there are any Yukon owners that could provide a review?

Heard some common issues with setting it up tubeless, and issues with the rear hub.

Planning to ride on local trails (Bragg Creek, Canmore Nordic, etc). Would this be a worthy candidate?

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 12:02 Quote
I just picked one up used, happy with it after a few rides.

My prior bike was a Farley 9.6.

Mine was already set up tubeless so i can't help with that.

I too have read about the rear hub issues but i would hope Giant will cover that under warranty should it explode. The main issue is it's a 28 hole hub when most common ones are 32.

I managed to snag a whole SunRingle replacement wheel as backup just in case i'm ever out of commission in peak season.

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 11:56 Quote
christhebiker wrote:
Have the opportunity to pick up a 2021 Giant Yukon 1 locally

Wondering if there are any Yukon owners that could provide a review?

Heard some common issues with setting it up tubeless, and issues with the rear hub.

Planning to ride on local trails (Bragg Creek, Canmore Nordic, etc). Would this be a worthy candidate?

I've got a Yukon 2 since december, it was the last XL Fatbike available in 1000km around, so i didn't have the luxury to choose... BUT, it's a fatbike... not to much to tell about. It came with 12sp Deore drivetrain, which is great (i wouldn't go less than 12 sp) and a composite fork. 160mm brake are plenty good, as grip is limited. My main use is ''Fatduro'' which in my area are single track 200m verticat downhill run that are groomed , mostly blue and black summer enduro trail.
In short, I like it ! the slack seat tube angle provide good grip while climbing (opposite of during the summer) and the geo (high stack to reach ratio)gives a very upright and comfortable position. BUT the downside is that you really need to weight the front end in corner while descending. I've personnaly put the chainstay at maximum length to compensate that. Also, mine didn't come with dropper post, so I had to purchase it seperatly.
The biggest downside of the Yukon is the tire. The Colossus bite pretty good in the snow and offer little rolling resistant compare to some other, BUT they are not studdable.... So I switch them for 45Nrth Dillinger, and WOW, i would not go back, but it's a 500$ upgrade on a 2000$ bike...
Don't worry for tubeless, i've never seen anybody having pinch flat with tube, and i never deflate it enough to benefit from tubeless... i prefer having a tube , it keep the air in a lot better.
If i had the opportunity to choose again, I would probably go for the Rocky or Norco. In my opinion, these are the feature you have to look for :

- Studdable tire
- 27,5 wheel
- 12 speed
- Composite fork
- Hydraulic brake

And then if it does not come with a dropper, you will need it, so consider it in the price.

Hope it helped

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 13:09 Quote
Was your bike not stock?

The Yukon 2 comes with Deore 10 speed and a 180 front rotor

Seat tube isn’t slack compared to something like the Farley

The reach though is short which makes it harder to keep the front wheel down

I disagree completely on tubeless. It’s a must on any bike especially fat bikes for weight savings alone. Never mind the decreased rolling resistance, ability to run lower pressure etc.

I quite like the tires for all but ice. Much better grip than the Barbegazi that came with my Farley

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 14:00 Quote
Swerny wrote:
Was your bike not stock?

The Yukon 2 comes with Deore 10 speed and a 180 front rotor

Seat tube isn’t slack compared to something like the Farley

The reach though is short which makes it harder to keep the front wheel down

I disagree completely on tubeless. It’s a must on any bike especially fat bikes for weight savings alone. Never mind the decreased rolling resistance, ability to run lower pressure etc.

I quite like the tires for all but ice. Much better grip than the Barbegazi that came with my Farley

I think you're right about the 180mm front, my mistake. But the 2021 model come with deore 12sp, I think the 2020 and previous model were 10sp. For the tubeless, i totally agree in the summer with enduro bike, I even put cushcore in mine. But for fat bike... ish i don't feel the need for it. Maybe a should try it next year. But i wont go any lower than 7 psi in the back anyway, since i'm 200 lbs. Less than that, the sidewall of the tire fold to much and the rolling resistance become very high. Personnaly, i adjust the pressure so that the rear tire sidewall barely creat wave on flat ground when seated. That way when i'm going up and my weight goes more to the back, the grip increase a lot (as the contact patch is increase), and then when i'm coasting (with my weight more toward the front), the rolling resistance is reduce and the bike feel less bouncy. For the front, i go as low as possible until it feel to bouncy and lack corneing stifness, 4-5 psi is pretty much it.

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 16:56 Quote
You’re right, the 2021 is 12 speed.

That’s a good deal as I’d take Deore over the NX on the Yukon 1

Posted: Jan 17, 2023 at 18:05 Quote
Does anybody know where one can purchase replacement 28h hubs?

  • Previous Page
  • Next Page

 


Copyright © 2000 - 2026. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013347
Mobile Version of Website