Trickstuff Maxima Brakes - Users/Buyers Guide

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Trickstuff Maxima Brakes - Users/Buyers Guide
Posted: Sep 17, 2023 at 7:29 Quote
I use a couple of 10mm allen keys instead of the Le Block with good results.

But the block must be easier as it's smaller.
I'm keeping an eye on ebay in case I find one of them over here as if I order one from Germany I'd pay more in shipping than the cost of the block!!

Posted: Sep 17, 2023 at 8:18 Quote
Bitelio wrote:
I use a couple of 10mm allen keys instead of the Le Block with good results.

But the block must be easier as it's smaller.
I'm keeping an eye on ebay in case I find one of them over here as if I order one from Germany I'd pay more in shipping than the cost of the block!!

That’s right! The Allen key step is critical and be aware first time bleeders, that the Parktool video doesn’t follow all of the Trickstuff bleed steps. You need to follow the Trickstuff guide to get the factory feel and power from my experience. Which requires the additional bleed, pushing the calipers out to the Allen key to get all the last air bubbles out and the the final steps at the level with the syringe while applying a small amount of pressure to the lever. You are better off watching the parktool video but then following the Trickstuff guide.

Posted: Sep 20, 2023 at 11:40 Quote
I currently have Shimano Ice-Tech rotors mounted. Do I need to get thicker rotors for the Maximas? or should I be ok with the Shimanos?

Does anyone have some 5mm beta hose connections they want to get rid of?

Posted: Sep 20, 2023 at 14:35 Quote
As suggested or advised by a few people on the site get the trickstuff bleed kit,the block maybe included in the kit now. We also run the beta hoses with the maxima brakes for the same reason, internal routing….. no difference in performance but goodridge hoses do look good. Obviously you will need the beta fittings for the master cylinder and the caliper,follow the trickstuff bleed procedure to the letter and you’ll have no problems and as for having second thoughts don’t worry,you’ve purchased an outstanding brake that you’ll probably transfer to other bikes you may buy in future.One piece of advice I would add is purchase a couple of spare clamps as we’ve broken two in heavy crashes.As for the shimano rotas I imagine they’ll be fine,we run a bikestuff 200 mm in the front which is substantially thicker than a standard rota and a trickstuff 203 mm in the rear,coupled with the maximas they never fail to stop or slow you down rapidly once you get used to the power….enjoy.

Posted: Sep 20, 2023 at 17:43 Quote
cski1 wrote:
I currently have Shimano Ice-Tech rotors mounted. Do I need to get thicker rotors for the Maximas? or should I be ok with the Shimanos?

Does anyone have some 5mm beta hose connections they want to get rid of?

I have one beta connection.

And YES 100% you should run Trickstuff or rotors thicker than shimano on these brakes.

Posted: Oct 6, 2023 at 7:10 Quote
Okay, need a little more help.

Received the brakes (Maxima), beta lines, beta connectors, rotors and bleed kit.

Looks like I need to order new banjo fittings (5mm) to fit to the caliper?

I have the connectors for the levers but made the mistake of not investigating connectors for the caliper.

Am I correct that I need new connectors (banjo) for the 5mm beta lines?

If so, where can I get them? Looks like R2 is out of the black ones. Any other sources?

Thanks for any help.

Posted: Oct 9, 2023 at 14:39 Quote
Yes you need the beta banjo fitting for the maxima calipers if you’re using the beta hose,R2 has black and silver in stock now.

Posted: Oct 11, 2023 at 11:52 Quote
Orangewp wrote:
Yes you need the beta banjo fitting for the maxima calipers if you’re using the beta hose,R2 has black and silver in stock now.

Thank you!

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2023 at 23:22 Quote
Anyone try Maxima with Hope V4 pad? More power with 16 and 18mm caliper....the rollback of the V4 pistons is also quite small...

Posted: Oct 13, 2023 at 1:26 Quote
Haven't tried that, as you'd need compatible seals and spare V4 calipers (you'd want to do that with the current V4 calipers with phenolic+steel pistons, and not the previous phenolic pistons). Someone from the German Frankenbremse forums had tried that a while back, but wasn't impressed.

I tried DRT master cylinder with Cura4 caliper (4x18mm pistons), and that was SHIT. The Cura4 calipers are so bad ! Super high friction, a caliper that doesn't handle heat well at all, the lever feel was the worst as you just didn't know when it would bite the rotor. No firm bite point whatsoever ! Power was really nice, just very hard to control and that was scary to ride.

Also tried the same DRT master cylinder with Magura MT5 calipers (4x17), and I probably should have gone for MT7 calipers (smaller rollback than MT5s). Lever feel was meh, but the most annoying was the fact the MT5 pistons had too much rollback and I had to push the pistons out pretty much every 2 runs to avoid having 5cm of free travel on the lever ... Power was ok, but lever feel was more important to me than row power.

Both tests were done on the same rotors and same type of pads, Trickstuff Power. So at least I had that for a consistent setup.

At the moment running Maximas on a bike, and a mix of DRT lever and 612-parts caliper (the old one, not the cybertruck-looking one lol ) on the other bike, and that feels actually better than the Maximas. A much shorter lever throw, and close to the same power (16/17 pistons), I was tempted to get another set of 612 calipers to replace the Maxima ones !

When I'll have some money to throw at brakes, I might order a set of Radic Kaha brakes, and compare them with Maximas. On paper they're really close, and I like the look ...

Posted: Oct 13, 2023 at 7:55 Quote
cski1 wrote:
Orangewp wrote:

Thank you!

Dude, did you get all the parts to install your
Brakes yet? I feel for you, it sounds like it’s been a long journey. I’m sure you will feel they are worth it once installed. They are amazing in all aspects.

That said, I went back to saints, TS are more powerful, I just couldn’t get used to the extra power and different feel. I’ve been riding saints for wayyy too long. Brakes are the one thing I won’t change again. I also couldn’t get used to feeling and hearing the pads grip on rotor indentations when they got hot. It was an odd feeling but doesn’t affect the performance.

Posted: Oct 18, 2023 at 5:48 Quote
[Quote="tonybah"]
cski1 wrote:
Orangewp wrote:

Thank you!

Brakes yet? I feel for you, it sounds like it’s been a long journey. I’m sure you will feel they are worth it once installed. They are amazing in all aspects.

That said, I went back to saints, TS are more powerful, I just couldn’t get used to the extra power and different feel. I’ve been riding saints for wayyy too long. Brakes are the one thing I won’t change again. I also couldn’t get used to feeling and hearing the pads grip on rotor indentations when they got hot. It was an odd feeling but doesn’t affect the performance.[/Quote

tonybah,

I do finally have all the parts to install on my bike, just need to find time, lol.
It ended up being more costly than expected (sourcing everything from R2 in Germany), especially after learning I could have used Shimano brake line which is readily available from my local shops, oh well.

I have gotten used to Shimano over the years with the short throw and quick bite so I'm sure there will be a learning curve. I have Saints on my park bike and the four piston XTR on my trail bike. Unfortunately I don't ride my park bike very much anymore so the Maximas are going on my trail bike. I hope that I like them. I've invested a lot of time and money on them. I've lusted over them for the past couple years and finally pulled the trigger.

What do you mean by the gripping sensation? Is it a pulsation?
I hope not, I had a set of Sram brakes that did that years ago and hated them. I"ll never run Sram again because of it.

What rotors are you using?

Posted: Oct 18, 2023 at 5:55 Quote
tonybah wrote:
cski1 wrote:
Orangewp wrote:

Thank you!

That said, I went back to saints, TS are more powerful, I just couldn’t get used to the extra power and different feel. I’ve been riding saints for wayyy too long. Brakes are the one thing I won’t change again. I also couldn’t get used to feeling and hearing the pads grip on rotor indentations when they got hot. It was an odd feeling but doesn’t affect the performance.

tonybah,

I do finally have all the parts to install on my bike, just need to find time, lol.
It ended up being more costly than expected (sourcing everything from R2 in Germany), especially after learning I could have used Shimano brake line which is readily available from my local shops, oh well.

I have gotten used to Shimano over the years with the short throw and quick bite so I'm sure there will be a learning curve. I have Saints on my park bike and the four piston XTR on my trail bike. Unfortunately I don't ride my park bike very much anymore so the Maximas are going on my trail bike. I hope that I like them. I've invested a lot of time and money on them. I've lusted over them for the past couple years and finally pulled the trigger.

What do you mean by the gripping sensation? Is it a pulsation?
I hope not, I had a set of Sram brakes that did that years ago and hated them. I"ll never run Sram again because of it.

What rotors are you using?

Posted: Oct 18, 2023 at 8:02 Quote
I tried the TS Daschel UL “ultra lite” rotors and the TS DH rotors. The DH rotors did less of that feeling I was describing when hot. I used the stock pads that came with TS Diretissimas. Again, this was on the Diretissimas not the Maximas. I could only describe it as the feeling of the brake pads grabbing the cutouts on the rotors when hot. It mad sole noise and you could feel it in the levers when the brakes were hot at the bottom of a descent. It did not affect the power I just didn’t like it. I think people have mentioned a similar feeling on here but eliminated it with different pads and rotors. People have mentioned liking the galfer wave rotors and pads on TS brakes. They brakes were the most amazing things I ever felt except when they got really hot at the end of steep descents. Again though, this was on Diretissimas and not the maximas which I think have a bigger caliper?

Mount them up, you will love the. R2 bike is great by the way, you didn’t over pay, just maybe a lot for shipping. If you end up not loving them you will be able to sell them quickly and probably for a small profit on Pinkbike so don’t stress. Just giving you my honest feedback.

Posted: Oct 18, 2023 at 8:31 Quote
tonybah wrote:
I tried the TS Daschel UL “ultra lite” rotors and the TS DH rotors. The DH rotors did less of that feeling I was describing when hot. I used the stock pads that came with TS Diretissimas. Again, this was on the Diretissimas not the Maximas. I could only describe it as the feeling of the brake pads grabbing the cutouts on the rotors when hot. It mad sole noise and you could feel it in the levers when the brakes were hot at the bottom of a descent. It did not affect the power I just didn’t like it. I think people have mentioned a similar feeling on here but eliminated it with different pads and rotors. People have mentioned liking the galfer wave rotors and pads on TS brakes. They brakes were the most amazing things I ever felt except when they got really hot at the end of steep descents. Again though, this was on Diretissimas and not the maximas which I think have a bigger caliper?

Mount them up, you will love the. R2 bike is great by the way, you didn’t over pay, just maybe a lot for shipping. If you end up not loving them you will be able to sell them quickly and probably for a small profit on Pinkbike so don’t stress. Just giving you my honest feedback.

I purchased the Trickstuff HD rotors.(180mm)
They are going on a trail bike and I don't have long extended descents so I don't see them getting over heated. I also purchased a set of the 730 power + pads. Not sure if that will make a difference. Thanks for the info though.

I'm looking forward to trying them out, just need to find the time to mount them.

Thanks again!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010056
Mobile Version of Website