Kona Process X Thread

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process X Thread
O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2023 at 12:33 Quote
Here's a fun one. Couldn't find much online on how to resolve it. I was having pretty bad frame resonance in 450mm CS mode. XT 4 Piston brake, metallic pads, 203mm rotors. No issue at all in 435mm CS mode, 450 only.

Used a 1/4 oz stick on car wheel weight on the chainstay by the brake mount, which totally resolved the issue. Really bizarre. I think a combo of the actual weight + the foam adhesive is enough material to "adjust" for the vibration that was felt like it was running all the way through the chainstay/seatstay.

Saw in the Process 153 thread others had this issue, one guy stuck two of these directly on his brake caliper. Probably fine, but I figured the heat from the adhesive might make them fall off in the long run?

Will need to do some longer/hotter descents, but so far just one of these weights is doing the trick. So far...dead silent.

Fixing frame resonance issue on 2021 kona process x

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2023 at 13:25 Quote
robotdave wrote:
Here's a fun one. Couldn't find much online on how to resolve it. I was having pretty bad frame resonance in 450mm CS mode. XT 4 Piston brake, metallic pads, 203mm rotors. No issue at all in 435mm CS mode, 450 only.

Used a 1/4 oz stick on car wheel weight on the chainstay by the brake mount, which totally resolved the issue. Really bizarre. I think a combo of the actual weight + the foam adhesive is enough material to "adjust" for the vibration that was felt like it was running all the way through the chainstay/seatstay.

Saw in the Process 153 thread others had this issue, one guy stuck two of these directly on his brake caliper. Probably fine, but I figured the heat from the adhesive might make them fall off in the long run?

Will need to do some longer/hotter descents, but so far just one of these weights is doing the trick. So far...dead silent.

My wife’s CR 134 had that issue with 180mm rotor. Went away when I put a 200mm on it. Codes and guides did it. Will try that fix if it starts with the 200mm rotor. Thanks!

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2023 at 18:15 Quote
Anyone else think this frame eats bearings??? Jesus...

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2023 at 9:27 Quote
chrisrobin wrote:

I dont have a ton of miles on the X and have not noticed... yet. But my 2021 134 CR/DL does. Mainly in the trunnion (Frame and shock pivots) and and seat stay. Pretty much the same config as the X. Going on my 3rd set since November 2021.

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2023 at 12:55 Quote
EcivSinned wrote:
chrisrobin wrote:

I dont have a ton of miles on the X and have not noticed... yet. But my 2021 134 CR/DL does. Mainly in the trunnion (Frame and shock pivots) and and seat stay. Pretty much the same config as the X. Going on my 3rd set since November 2021.

Ahh.

I found it was the bearings for the main rocker link in the seat tube.

Either way, not terrible and easy to replace... just more than I expected. I think I read about the bearings getting worn quickly in the NSMB review of the bike.

edit. I bought my bearings at a local shop and they suggested I remove the seals on the bearings with a sharp xacto blade and pack a bunch of thicker marine grease in there. Apparently it makes the bearings last a little bit longer.

O+
Posted: Dec 12, 2023 at 13:14 Quote
https://www.konaworld.com/en-ca/products/process-x-cr

Anyone see this? Buy one get one free.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 12, 2023 at 18:04 Quote
TheSpangler wrote:

That really killed the resale value of my bike.

FL
Posted: Dec 13, 2023 at 8:06 Quote
corygharris wrote:
TheSpangler wrote:

That really killed the resale value of my bike.

Same here. I know they don’t owe me anything, and their very survival as a company likely depends on this sale, but yeah…

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2024 at 10:48 Quote
Anyone find their Process X to be a little creaky?

I've found that while pedaling to the trail head (on the road), I barely hear anything. Under load though, I hear the slight creaking noise whether and I'm sitting or standing.

I think it's coming from the pivots. I've already pulled apart the BB and reinstalled it with that carbon fiber grease, lubed up the Race Face cinch interface, and lubed up the crank axle. The only other thing I can think of is the Oneup Components switch spider but I doubt that's the culprit.

edit: Yeah it's that lower main pivot. Bearings don't even move by hand. I only swapped out the bearings a few month ago. Literally 3 to 4 months. The rocker link bearings can at least move even though they're a little notchy. Jesus Kona... couldn't come up with some sort of bearing shield eh???

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2024 at 16:07 Quote
No creaking, but anyone getting vibration from the rear triangle when braking?

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 23, 2024 at 20:25 Quote
Howdy, I'm going to try out a coil shock for the first time on my '22 Process X and here's what I've got so far. I'm going to go with a RS Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate RC2T with hydraulic bottom out.
- I want the 205x62.5 TRUNNION, correct?

Heres what I crunched out from Lost Co's spring calculator:
Rider Weight (lbs) 205
Wheel Travel (mm) 162
Shock Stroke (mm) 62.5
Result: 527
- So should I start with a 550lb spring? I am a fairly aggressive rider.

I'm going with a Rockshox spring, here are the specs
Length 151mm
Travel 57.5-65mm
- Is that correct?

Thanks for your help! I have struggled with this piggie after coming off the Process 153 29er because I don't have the same short chainstays. haha!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011366
Mobile Version of Website