Broken Sram NX Eagle Shifter

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Broken Sram NX Eagle Shifter
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 14:51 Quote
My bike came with a full NX eagle drivetrain. I put up with some shifting gremlins last year despite my best efforts to get it adjusted. I checked derailleur hanger for straightness, etc and had no luck. I pulled the derailleur recently and concluded it was bent because there are two points rubbing on it that definitely look like they should not.

I decided to just replace the derailleur with a Shimano SLX. I threw on a new GX chain, and when I got it all back together I found that I only have 7 clicks on the shifter. Not sure at what point that happened.

I pulled apart the shifter to see if I could find anything wrong. I don't see anything obvious, see the attached pic. When it's apart it can ratchet 11 times. I put it back together and had the same issue. It jumps gears at a couple points in the mid range and can't seem to get onto the biggest cog on the cassette. Limit screw is well out of the way. I'm about to just say screw Sram and get a matching shimano shifter unless anyone here has any brilliant suggestions. Let me know what you think.

https://i.imgur.com/XS8kjHm.jpg

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 20:01 Quote
Get a GX shifter. You’ll notice the difference and it’ll last much longer.

Posted: Apr 4, 2021 at 8:38 Quote
If I understand correctly you replaced your SRAM derailleur with a Shimano one? AFAIK depending on the speed you have you can't swap the two. I would swap the derailleur back and take it to your LBS to get it sorted out. Otherwise you can upgrade to GX, as NX is known to have issues

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 18:35 Quote
Gents, thanks for the input. I wanted to follow up since I was able to resolve this.

Turns out there was nothing wrong with the NX shifter. I'm just an idiot and had the cable clamped into the shimano derailleur backwards, which changed the lever ratio enough to screw up the shifting.

I didn't figure this out until I had already replaced the NX shifter with an SLX and encountered the same issue lol.

Anyway, I now have an SLX shifter, SLX derailleur, and NX cassette, plus a fresh shifter cable and it's working like a charm now.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009130
Mobile Version of Website