Tensile vs chromoly

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Tensile vs chromoly
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 20:09 Quote
So I'm looking into my first bmx bike for a 6 ft dude with a tight budget in Canada. I think I've got some pretty good ideas, and I been reading these threads. HOWEVER. I've been offered a rlly damn good deal on a kink bike made of hi tensile steel. It's my size, has breaks, is in my area, cassette, the whole burrito. Except the steel part. Should a wait for a better opportunity, or go for it? Thanks in advance y'all!

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 20:32 Quote
The hi tensile steel frame is going to weigh a fair bit more than chromoly. My sons 18 in. hi tensile weighs more than his 20in. chromoly.

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 20:49 Quote
84108 wrote:
So I'm looking into my first bmx bike for a 6 ft dude with a tight budget in Canada. I think I've got some pretty good ideas, and I been reading these threads. HOWEVER. I've been offered a rlly damn good deal on a kink bike made of hi tensile steel. It's my size, has breaks, is in my area, cassette, the whole burrito. Except the steel part. Should a wait for a better opportunity, or go for it? Thanks in advance y'all!

Hi ten isn't a complete deal-breaker. Like the other poster said, it's a good deal heavier. Also, remember that when you're in the entry-level price point, you're not always comparing high ten to straight up chromoly everything - often it's high ten vs. high ten with a few of the main tubes chromo, or a chromo fork or some mixture. Kink is a fine brand as far as not getting shitty welds or QC, so you're on the right track.

Make sure it's a good deal off of real MSRP, and compare it to other bikes in the category. WTP and Haro have great cheap BMX bikes down here, not sure if the prices are as good up there though. Also, as your first BMX, it'll probably get beaten up and it's not like you need to worry about weight too much when you're figuring out how to pump your way around a bowl or dirt track or whatever it is you're doing.

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 21:09 Quote
parkourfan wrote:
84108 wrote:

Hi ten isn't a complete deal-breaker. Like the other poster said, it's a good deal heavier. Also, remember that when you're in the entry-level price point, you're not always comparing high ten to straight up chromoly everything - often it's high ten vs. high ten with a few of the main tubes chromo, or a chromo fork or some mixture. Kink is a fine brand as far as not getting shitty welds or QC, so you're on the right track.

Make sure it's a good deal off of real MSRP, and compare it to other bikes in the category. WTP and Haro have great cheap BMX bikes down here, not sure if the prices are as good up there though. Also, as your first BMX, it'll probably get beaten up and it's not like you need to worry about weight too much when you're figuring out how to pump your way around a bowl or dirt track or whatever it is you're doing.
Makes sense. Thanks for the info! Ya I was looking into wethepeople and haro. The only problems were finding dealers, and harp was the only one in my budget. I also had the same problem with Sunday. But I did check and this is a good deal I'm being offered, so I'll look more into it and I'll get to try it out before buying. The gist of what I'm hearing is its my first bike and won't be perfect, I'll prolly beat it up anyway, and steel isn't totally a bad thing, tho its heavier. Great stuff. Thanks guys!

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 6:22 Quote
It's been a while since I rode bmx, and perhaps things have changed but kink was always a very solid brand/company. They started getting into entry level completes when I stopped riding bmx, and although they were lower end/hi ten, they were still well made options.

I agree with the other posters. If it fits you well enough, it's a great deal, and you're just getting into the sport, jump on it. I am super grateful for starting off on a hi ten entry level bike. Save the money, learn about the bike and riding, then upgrade parts as it becomes necessary and you become knowledgeable.

Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 11:35 Quote
I see this was posted quite a while ago, Hopefully you got something decent because if you're tall that generally means a bit heavier as well. Build quality on complete bikes is only so-so at best. The components are what you should be worrying about anyways and that's where complete bikes tend to fail, quickly.

edit- Used is always a good option, with patience and keeping an eye on local classifieds you never know what you'll find. For example I found my brother a WTP Envy for $375, which if you are familiar was in the $1200-1500 range when new. Nice stuff on that but for 1200 bucks you'd expect such things.

Posted: Aug 13, 2021 at 9:10 Quote
Jolly-Roger wrote:
I see this was posted quite a while ago, Hopefully you got something decent because if you're tall that generally means a bit heavier as well. Build quality on complete bikes is only so-so at best. The components are what you should be worrying about anyways and that's where complete bikes tend to fail, quickly.

edit- Used is always a good option, with patience and keeping an eye on local classifieds you never know what you'll find. For example I found my brother a WTP Envy for $375, which if you are familiar was in the $1200-1500 range when new. Nice stuff on that but for 1200 bucks you'd expect such things.

Thanks bro! Ya those wtp bikes are crazy. I ended up with a 2015 fit Conway, actually in really good condition. Bars are a little short and I need some pegs, but it's been good to me. Thanks for the help!

Posted: Aug 13, 2021 at 9:55 Quote
Make sure you keep those pinch bolts on the crank tight, same with the faceplate on the Stem. If your bars move on you once, makes it easier for it to happen again. Beer

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.033821
Mobile Version of Website