Surly straggler flat bar conversion

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Surly straggler flat bar conversion
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 26, 2021 at 10:33 Quote
Hi,
I have a surly straggler with an apex drivetrain.
I’d like to do a flat bar conversion.
Will gx shifters work with the apex 1x11 derailleur?
I have sram apex bb7 brakes. Does anyone know what mtb style levers would work with them?
I’m going to attempt to run new cables myself (first time) so I think I’m going to need to buy a few tools to do it (I’m ok with that)
Thanks for any insight offered
-Dave

Posted: Apr 5, 2022 at 12:58 Quote
dcycleman wrote:
Hi,
I have sram apex bb7 brakes. Does anyone know what mtb style levers would work with them?
I’m going to attempt to run new cables myself (first time) so I think I’m going to need to buy a few tools to do it (I’m ok with that)
-Dave

Hey Dave! Did you ever complete this build? I'm looking to do the same thing with the same bike. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Posted: Apr 5, 2022 at 13:25 Quote
edavis05 wrote:
dcycleman wrote:
Hi,
-Dave

Hey Dave! Did you ever complete this build? I'm looking to do the same thing with the same bike. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

The shifter choice is a no-go. Apex 11 speed is "Exact Actuation" cable pull ratio, while GX 11 is "X-Actuation". But you can buy an Apex 11 speed flat bar shifter that's built for this purpose.

If your brakes are what I think OP meant--Avid BB7 Road--then look for the Avid Speed Dial levers, which can be converted between road pull (pivot closest to the handlebar) and V-brake pull (pivot furthest from the handlebar). Or any normal cantilever (not V-brake) lever will work too.

Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 14:33 Quote
barp wrote:
edavis05 wrote:
dcycleman wrote:
Hi,
-Dave

The shifter choice is a no-go. Apex 11 speed is "Exact Actuation" cable pull ratio, while GX 11 is "X-Actuation". But you can buy an Apex 11 speed flat bar shifter that's built for this purpose.

If your brakes are what I think OP meant--Avid BB7 Road--then look for the Avid Speed Dial levers, which can be converted between road pull (pivot closest to the handlebar) and V-brake pull (pivot furthest from the handlebar). Or any normal cantilever (not V-brake) lever will work too.

Shimano sells some road style levers that will work with road disc brakes too - I think under the Tiagra line. Possibly Sora. I'd stay away from the Speed Dial idea - I was told that they don't adjust far enough to match the pull ratio of road brakes. There are so many vintage levers out there you don't need to mess with them.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010075
Mobile Version of Website