Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: May 5, 2022 at 8:35 Quote
f*ckingsteve wrote:
lancet-muffler wrote:
f*ckingsteve wrote:

https://b2b.endurobearings.com/acb-6808-cc-ss-1-1-2-stainless-steel-angular-contact-headset-bearing/

Is that just the top?

Nope, top and bottom. There's a spacer at the top that necks down to the size of the steerer tube, and that bearing will sit right on the crown race on the bottom.

Gotcha - thanks!

O+
Posted: May 5, 2022 at 8:57 Quote
Jn28 wrote:
Mjwilson82 wrote:
Anybody had any issues with premature wear on the upper headset bearing, with the 0.7 gap allowing water ingress. Just putting together the bike from frame up and noticed the gap when fitting the headset. This also looks like the way FSA designed it to work

Went cane Creek for a quality headset. no issues here so far in the super dusty conditions we get.

Which Cane Creek did you go for?

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 9:49 Quote
Mjwilson82 wrote:
Jn28 wrote:
Mjwilson82 wrote:
Anybody had any issues with premature wear on the upper headset bearing, with the 0.7 gap allowing water ingress. Just putting together the bike from frame up and noticed the gap when fitting the headset. This also looks like the way FSA designed it to work

Went cane Creek for a quality headset. no issues here so far in the super dusty conditions we get.

I’ve just found the ZS56 upper part in the 40 series, not in the 110, or any other brand to be precise

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 9:49 Quote
Mjwilson82 wrote:
Jn28 wrote:
Mjwilson82 wrote:

I’ve just found the ZS56 upper part in the 40 series, not in the 110, or any other brand to be precise

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 10:06 Quote
photo

4 days of riding in Finale Ligure and this bike has kept me rubber side down despite my best efforts to crash.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2022 at 21:44 Quote
nakeddave wrote:
photo

4 days of riding in Finale Ligure and this bike has kept me rubber side down despite my best efforts to crash.

Is that the wolftooth frame bag? What do you keep inside yours? Nice bicycle there yo

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 23:57 Quote
nubbs wrote:
nakeddave wrote:
photo

Is that the wolftooth frame bag? What do you keep inside yours? Nice bicycle there yo

It's a muc off phone case. With a 77 designs strap mount.

Inside:
Tubolito 29er tube
2x 16g gas carts and inflator head
Granite talon tyre levers and link splitter
SRAM UDH hanger
SRAM split link
Various zip ties
Dynaplug racer with extra plugs
Topeak mini 20 pro multi tool

Covers most eventualities.

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 4:53 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
Nateffb wrote:
nerds-on-dirt-mtb wrote:

Wow that's a crazy one!

I know, right!

Try going at the seattube with a flex hone. There may be a slight bur on one of the welds that the seatpost passes over and the flex of the post could cause some noises, even if it's not big enough for there to be any resistance when inserting. Ran into this on a few different bikes, although never a transition.

Interesting, I’ll keep this in mind next time it’s in the stand and have a look. Might be something for the lbs I bought it from to do. They’re just 4hrs away so not quite local.

Transition should have really sent files and hacksaws with these bikes.

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 5:46 Quote
nakeddave wrote:
Inside:
Tubolito 29er tube

Have you/anyone had to use one yet?
I can't remember the last time I had to put a tube in a tyre so it seems increasingly tempting to save the weight/bulk of a butyl and go tubolito. I've seen mixed review and when you need it you need it....

I've got a few good kit storage hacks I'll post up when I get a chance.

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 6:34 Quote
Hookem34 wrote:
Had my carbon GX for two months now. I live in Austin, TX and this bike eats up the technical climbs around here. Took it to Spider Mountain over the weekend and conditions were brutal; moon dust everywhere and bomb holes in all the rock gardens from lack of rain since March. The Spire remained composed and planted all day. It’s night and day better for these conditions than my Yeti 5.5.

This is my first Transition and I am a believer in the SBG wizardry! Now if they would hurry up a release a new Scout so I can replace my 5.5

Fellow recovering Yeti rider. Replaced my SB165 with a Spire. Love the 165, but not 27.5 wheels for techy, rocky descents. Super fun at the bike park though (visited Spider in March - nice to have that in your backyard in Winter).

Replaced the SB5.5 with a Spur coming next week. Hope that turns out to be a good decision. The SB5.5 is a great bike.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2022 at 7:50 Quote
nakeddave wrote:
photo

Oh nice! that place in on my bucket list to ride!

O+
Posted: May 6, 2022 at 8:46 Quote
nakeddave wrote:
nubbs wrote:
nakeddave wrote:

It's a muc off phone case. With a 77 designs strap mount.

Inside:
Tubolito 29er tube
2x 16g gas carts and inflator head
Granite talon tyre levers and link splitter
SRAM UDH hanger
SRAM split link
Various zip ties
Dynaplug racer with extra plugs
Topeak mini 20 pro multi tool

Covers most eventualities.

I like your style. Good loadout there.

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 22:10 Quote
Fixed my pivot bolts and put foam on the dropper cable. Rattle is better now. Still have some noise that sounds like cable rattle though. Any tips how to fix this. It doesn’t make sense to me as the cables are internally routed except the last part of the dropper. I guess it just won’t be as silent as my SC Hightower was…

Posted: May 7, 2022 at 9:22 Quote

Just got a GoPro, and first time playing with iMovie. Fear and Loaming trail in the Tillamook forest Oregon. Spent a good amount of Covid times working on this trail. Spire eats it up!

O+
Posted: May 7, 2022 at 10:21 Quote
Parsurf wrote:
http://https://youtu.be/-g26xqdwZ7I

Just got a GoPro, and first time playing with iMovie. Fear and Loaming trail in the Tillamook forest Oregon. Spent a good amount of Covid times working on this trail. Spire eats it up!

Link isn’t working

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016320
Mobile Version of Website