Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
O+
Posted: Jun 4, 2022 at 0:21 Quote
Mike172 wrote:
liglikesbikes wrote:
Theadventuresofziggman wrote:

How do you like the Cascade link? I have one on my V1 Sentinel and it was a game changer. Is it worth it on the Spire?

So far my experiences with the Cascade link on the Spire have been great. Absolutely in love with the bike. This is now the second link I've bought from them as I had one a Yeti SB 150. So far I've tested both air and coil shocks with it and I think I'll stick with an air shock, just cause the small bump feels almost as good as it does with the coil but with the air shock I can get it to ramp up more and have it feel more supportive. I still have yet to ride the bike without the Cascade link, I just recently got the bike built and have only done 2 days at Highland and a race weekend at Mountain Creek with it. I put the stock link back on the other night, along with a single crown fork, and just bouncing on the bike feels different. It feels a little less supple and a tad more supportive in the first 1/3 of the travel but that's about all I can tell without going for a proper ride on it. For trail and enduro, I think the bike will be more fun with the stock link, then for DH racing the dual crown and the Cascade link will be the move. From my experiences, I'd say the Cascade link is worth it but it all depends and what you're riding and how you want your bike to feel. For the more gravity side of things, I think it'd be worth it but if you are riding more trail and enduro stuff and you want your bike to feel more efficient with pedaling and pumping flatter bits of trail then it may not be as much of a game changer. Then again if you bought a Spire and are only doing trail rides and light enduro type riding then you've got yourself the wrong tool for the job, so if you don't fall into that category then I'd say the Cascade link is well worth it. That's my quick take on the Cascade link.

Has to be one of the most useful bits of feedback ive seen regarding bike components ibe read in years

Usually just get a 'yeah its great'

Agreed, but please follow up once you've ridden the stock link and single crown for comparison.

I don't think it's nessary for the races I'm planning to do, but since I'm now healing a broken clavicle I may want some extra cushion. I had one on my 2019 Patrol and it was a game changer on that bike. But the Spire stock is similar progression to old patrol with a link.

O+
Posted: Jun 4, 2022 at 9:30 Quote
mtb-thetown wrote:
Mike172 wrote:
liglikesbikes wrote:

So far my experiences with the Cascade link on the Spire have been great. Absolutely in love with the bike. This is now the second link I've bought from them as I had one a Yeti SB 150. So far I've tested both air and coil shocks with it and I think I'll stick with an air shock, just cause the small bump feels almost as good as it does with the coil but with the air shock I can get it to ramp up more and have it feel more supportive. I still have yet to ride the bike without the Cascade link, I just recently got the bike built and have only done 2 days at Highland and a race weekend at Mountain Creek with it. I put the stock link back on the other night, along with a single crown fork, and just bouncing on the bike feels different. It feels a little less supple and a tad more supportive in the first 1/3 of the travel but that's about all I can tell without going for a proper ride on it. For trail and enduro, I think the bike will be more fun with the stock link, then for DH racing the dual crown and the Cascade link will be the move. From my experiences, I'd say the Cascade link is worth it but it all depends and what you're riding and how you want your bike to feel. For the more gravity side of things, I think it'd be worth it but if you are riding more trail and enduro stuff and you want your bike to feel more efficient with pedaling and pumping flatter bits of trail then it may not be as much of a game changer. Then again if you bought a Spire and are only doing trail rides and light enduro type riding then you've got yourself the wrong tool for the job, so if you don't fall into that category then I'd say the Cascade link is well worth it. That's my quick take on the Cascade link.

Has to be one of the most useful bits of feedback ive seen regarding bike components ibe read in years

Agreed, but please follow up once you've ridden the stock link and single crown for comparison.

I don't think it's nessary for the races I'm planning to do, but since I'm now healing a broken clavicle I may want some extra cushion. I had one on my 2019 Patrol and it was a game changer on that bike. But the Spire stock is similar progression to old patrol with a link.

Is there any way to shorten the stroke on the stock shock to 60mm to keep 170mm travel in the rear if running the cascade link? I'm curious since I'd like a bit more supple in the rear, but I'm already maxed on volume spacers and having to run less Sag than I'd like to not blow through the travel on really big hits.

O+
Posted: Jun 4, 2022 at 13:04 Quote
ryksgoesoutside wrote:
mtb-thetown wrote:
Mike172 wrote:

Is there any way to shorten the stroke on the stock shock to 60mm to keep 170mm travel in the rear if running the cascade link? I'm curious since I'd like a bit more supple in the rear, but I'm already maxed on volume spacers and having to run less Sag than I'd like to not blow through the travel on really big hits.

Fits Spire frames (2021-current)Increases progression to 28% from 23% with the stock linkTravel: 180mm (with stock 205x65mm shock)Travel: 170mm (with 205x60mm shock)Sealed Enduro MAX bearingsCNC'd in the USA from 6061-T6 AluminumColors: Black, SilverWeight: 481 grams

Posted: Jun 4, 2022 at 14:17 Quote
ryksgoesoutside wrote:
mtb-thetown wrote:
Mike172 wrote:

Bit random but on my 22 patrol the stock shock at 160mm felt like it had 10mm of travel restricted from it. No shit... but it's the best way to describe it. Considerably better at 170mm even though it became a bit of a truck

Do you spire owners find the suspension design quote choppy? I'm still having trouble with my X2 on the Patrol. Tried all manner of pressures. Settings. Tokens and stroke spacer removal and its always felt on the harsh side of the spectrum.

Not far of selling the frame and going with an enduro or something

Posted: Jun 4, 2022 at 14:19 Quote
When you have a X2 you can use travel reducers to get 60mm stroke.

O+
Posted: Jun 4, 2022 at 18:36 Quote
As a bigger human, say 235 riding, I have had better luck with the stock aftermarket tune than the Transition tune. It really helps make the back end quieter.

Mike172 wrote:
ryksgoesoutside wrote:
mtb-thetown wrote:

Bit random but on my 22 patrol the stock shock at 160mm felt like it had 10mm of travel restricted from it. No shit... but it's the best way to describe it. Considerably better at 170mm even though it became a bit of a truck

Do you spire owners find the suspension design quote choppy? I'm still having trouble with my X2 on the Patrol. Tried all manner of pressures. Settings. Tokens and stroke spacer removal and its always felt on the harsh side of the spectrum.

O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2022 at 11:09 Quote
Mike172 wrote:
ryksgoesoutside wrote:
mtb-thetown wrote:

Is it the stock float x2 that came with the frame? Have you had it serviced since purchase? Sometimes they need a rebuild pretty quick to get running well.

O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2022 at 11:18 Quote
nubbs wrote:
Mike172 wrote:
ryksgoesoutside wrote:

Is it the stock float x2 that came with the frame? Have you had it serviced since purchase? Sometimes they need a rebuild pretty quick to get running well.

I second this. Pretty sure my X2 came cavitated from the get-go. Also those things blow out every 3 months anyways. I’ve tried to stick with them far too long and am finally going coil very soon.

Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 0:55 Quote
JonRides wrote:
As a bigger human, say 235 riding, I have had better luck with the stock aftermarket tune than the Transition tune. It really helps make the back end quieter.

Thanks JonRides - wondering if my patrol has a tune on it I know the spire does. I assume it does as I have two other X2s, one stock which is very plush indeed, another with a specialized tune on it and that's also great. This Transition one does feel very choppy in comparison. Same settings between each (I was right on the recommended setup from Transition when I looked too)

hukriede/nubbs Yeah all 3 of mine needed a service. The Patrol's X2 was cavitated or whatever its called.

Ill persist a little longer with it, I am tempted for a coil but seems a waste when I know the X2 can feel very good so may just get that un-tuned. Ill double check with transition before I spend any money on it.

Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 4:12 Quote
Has anyone run an Ochain chainring on their Spire? If so what are your thoughts? Is it worth the cash?
Thanks, Mat

Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 12:29 Quote
Would anyone be able to tell me what size fidlock bottle is the largest I can use on a medium.

Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 12:46 Quote
bobby309er wrote:
Would anyone be able to tell me what size fidlock bottle is the largest I can use on a medium.

I run the 450, but that's because I have a push 11.6. If I try to run the 590, the valves contact the bottle halfway through the travel. If you're running an X2, I think the valve/piston assembly is offset enough to run whatever bottle you want. Not sure about the rockshox. This is on a size medium frame also.

Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 3:58 Quote
mlambert223 wrote:
Has anyone run an Ochain chainring on their Spire? If so what are your thoughts? Is it worth the cash?
Thanks, Mat

Ochain purchased and I'll be running it at Revolition bike park this weekend, will report back if anyone is interested.

Ochainring

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 7:21 Quote
Anyone with a carbon medium and sram eagle group wanna do me a solid and count the links on your chain. I know how to size it but im just feeling a bit lazy and want to slap that new chain on the new frame after work today.

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 7:49 Quote
EKrum wrote:
Anyone with a carbon medium and sram eagle group wanna do me a solid and count the links on your chain. I know how to size it but im just feeling a bit lazy and want to slap that new chain on the new frame after work today.

Wow mountain bikers are lazy.

It takes longer to count the number of links on a chain than to install a chain.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012369
Mobile Version of Website