Opinion on MTB Hubs

• Previous Page
Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 16:40 Quote
Im looking for opinions on which hub is the loudest one on the market currently. Ive always dreamed of owning an insanely loud hub that annoys neighbors, but its hard to find the right answer anywhere. Some people say Hope Pro 4s are louder than Hydras, but some people say the Hydras are way louder than the Hope Pro 4s. Just looking for opinions.

Thanks.

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 18:01 Quote
I've got the hope pro 4's on my bike and they are pretty bloody loud but compared to my mates hydras they might as well be silent haha

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 20:03 Quote
I have Hydras, they sound cool but mine don’t seem that loud. I got them on a set of custom wheels from a local wheelsmith, so they may have been packed with extra grease, which is a hack some people use to quiet then down some.

I used to have a cheap set of E*Thirteens, I think they were TRS+ wheels, that e*thirteen hub was really loud. Way louder than the hydra rear hub is.

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 21:39 Quote
Can’t go wrong with Hydras.

FL
Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 21:42 Quote
My Pro 2 Evo is louder than my Pro 4

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 22:16 Quote
Hope hubs are loud, some E Thirteen hubs are also.

Hydra's aren't "loud" imho. They have too many engagement points and create a higher pitched buzzing sound unlike the loud clacking sound of the Hope Pro 4's.

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 22:48 Quote
Hydras are incredibly quiet and pleasant. I wouldn't call them loud at all.

The 5 degree Reynolds hubs I have on my TR 309 S wheels, which I believe are made by Stans, are the loudest hubs I've ever ridden (and not in a good way, like a skeleton in a coffee can)

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 0:26 Quote
I don't know if you can do any louder than e13 hubs, especially if they are a bit dry (low in grease).

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 0:33 Quote
Profile is quite loud tho not sure what sizes you can get them

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 1:39 Quote
Ian858 wrote:
Im looking for opinions on which hub is the loudest one on the market currently. Ive always dreamed of owning an insanely loud hub that annoys neighbors, but its hard to find the right answer anywhere. Some people say Hope Pro 4s are louder than Hydras, but some people say the Hydras are way louder than the Hope Pro 4s. Just looking for opinions.

Thanks.
Hydras with as little grase as possible (or change for oil) are way to go.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 5:03 Quote
Hydra with oil instead of grease if you like the sound of angry bees. Not sure why you'd want a loud hub to be honest.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 5:12 Quote
Why would you want a loud hub though? This is the most annoying thing.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 8:13 Quote
jurassicrider wrote:
Why would you want a loud hub though? This is the most annoying thing.

buzz buzz

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 8:15 Quote
onyxss wrote:
Ian858 wrote:

Thanks.
Hydras with as little grase as possible (or change for oil) are way to go.

Will it damage the hub tho?

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 8:34 Quote
You can prematurely wear if you don't have good lubrication. A light coating of grease is fine, but again as others have been saying, Hydras ain't loud no matter what, total misconception because of the reputation the Torch picked up.

Also don't use oil, those hub bodies are not designed to seal and it will spin out. Even hubs designed to use a bath oil like P321 have trouble retaining it.

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009056
Mobile Version of Website