Worlds best and most comfortable shin guards - throw away your old ones now

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Worlds best and most comfortable shin guards - throw away your old ones now
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 6, 2021 at 14:45 Quote
The first shinguards that do not suck. (aka best of all worlds)

I know, it is a big claim. But hear me out. 
Why does no one wear shinguards?

1. Combined knee shin guards - big, bulky, sweaty, slide around or do not protect the whole shin, only used in bikeparks
2. Big BMX and MTB shin guards  - big, hot and uncomfortable and sliding in all directions.
3. Light MTB shin guards -don´t cover the hole shin skin or a foam insert against light impacts
4. Shinguards from football/ soccer and other sports - either much to short or much to big and don´t fit very well
If one of the upper solutions would be good, people wod wear shinguards, but they are not and people don´t wear them.

So they either are big and uncomfortable, or small and don´t protect. Until now:

Left shin guard of an L2M - Size Large - Shape 2 - Male Shin

Presenting: Ninjaskin Shinguards:

- You don´t notice them when wearing and pedaling, (honesty, you really don´t)
- Super thin (7 mm/ 1/4“ thick)
- Developed and made in Germany
- Perfect fit (10 shape variants)
- No sliding (asymetric shape locks on to the shin)
- Almost not noticable 
- Hardshell protects the shin
- Less sweating 
- Easy to get on and off (slide under, close velcro)

More infos on Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ninjaskin/shinguards

Take on and off in seconds
Take on and off in seconds

Posted: Aug 6, 2021 at 15:35 Quote
Maybe they are better than the klunky BMX type guards. But I certainly would not throw my Endura protector socks away. They have socks that keep them in place and are out of a soft foam, so they fit very well, and whats wrong with that? And I can dress up them very easy like normal socks.
photo

Posted: Aug 6, 2021 at 15:42 Quote
stephaniemtb wrote:
Maybe they are better than the klunky BMX type guards. But I certainly would not throw my Endura protector socks away. They have socks that keep them in place and are out of a soft foam, so they fit very well, and whats wrong with that? And I can dress up them very easy like normal socks.
photo

Don´t get me wrong, they may work for you. But in our experience models like the Enduro are to short. What use is a protector if it does not protect the whole area, it should protect.
In addition to that the foam just lightens the impact. For small impacts this might be enough. But for heavy hit, there is something more needed. Either more foam, which is warmer, or a hardshell, that distributes the forces over a large area.

Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 5:11 Quote
Ok, but there are also sock protectors with a hardshield in it which is longer than the foam of my socks. What does your Ninjaskin Shinguards better than this?

Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 15:23 Quote
Simple, in most cases they have a simple shape that does not fit so well on to your shins. Many of them do not even have different shapes for the left and right side. So you have alot of places where the shinguards do not touch the shin and other where they produce a high pressure on your skin, due to the not so ideal fitment.

Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 20:10 Quote
I like you're idea.

May I offer a couple of suggestions?

1) Have you thought about putting holes in the front of them, and using a foam that is also full of holes, in order to allow for air movement through them, and over the leg? You could do actual round holes, or maybe you could do something creative and have them be part of a more mechanical "machine" type design....like they are going to look like cooling vents.

2) Have you thought about including a knee shield, so that the customer can just buy one product?

I hope you have great success with this!!

Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 20:53 Quote
Shinguards are for the weak.

Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 20:57 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:
lol

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 14:05 Quote
ToddM1 wrote:
I like you're idea.

May I offer a couple of suggestions?

1) Have you thought about putting holes in the front of them, and using a foam that is also full of holes, in order to allow for air movement through them, and over the leg? You could do actual round holes, or maybe you could do something creative and have them be part of a more mechanical "machine" type design....like they are going to look like cooling vents.

2) Have you thought about including a knee shield, so that the customer can just buy one product?

I hope you have great success with this!!

Of course you can, happy to hear you thought about it :-) Thanks, I like your design ideas too.

To 1. We thought about holes, but we would have to increase the thickness of the shield, what would make them heavier and increas heat in the unholed areas. Additionally they let dirt on to the leg. On the other hand, small enough holes, to prevent getting Pins on to the shin, would be small and would not provide much cooling. So we decided holes would not be worth ist and we rather decreased the thickness of the guards.

You are not the first one with the holes idea, but the first one with a good design suggestion :-)

To 2. The problem with combinated guards is, that the kneeguard moves around and the shin guard stay still. Thats why combined versions tent to slide downward just a little with each movment.
We would like to offer a combination, but the drawbacks are much bigger for us than what they make better. And aditionally: Other manufacturers make very good knee guards, that why we are more interested in Shin guards, because there are still improvements needed.

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 14:07 Quote
@HaggeredShins Username checks out. :-D

But I would not call it a weakness to think about how you can prevent pain and misuse off your body and treat it well. It treats you well too.

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 14:07 Quote
ToddM1 wrote:
HaggeredShins wrote:
lol

It was funny, but al little sad at the same time too.

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 15:09 Quote
NinjaskinShinguards wrote:
ToddM1 wrote:
HaggeredShins wrote:
lol

I'm positive he was just joking with you.

By the way, I wouldn't let "keeping the legs from getting dirty" be a concern to anything you design. It's mountain biking....if you're not getting dirty, you're doing something wrong.

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 20:23 Quote
ToddM1 wrote:
HaggeredShins wrote:
lol

Gotta love Poe's law in action

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 23:22 Quote
ToddM1 wrote:
ToddM1 wrote:

lol

I'm positive he was just joking with you.

By the way, I wouldn't let "keeping the legs from getting dirty" be a concern to anything you design. It's mountain biking....if you're not getting dirty, you're doing something wrong.

You are right. It is not the main reason, but in this case it adds to the downsides of holes in the guard. And if there is a thing that can keep you cleaner and the shinguards easier to clean, it is a good thing.

Posted: Aug 19, 2021 at 4:31 Quote
Ok, I can imagine that the plastic shinguards are really a lot easier to clean than my sockprotectors. But what about the ribbon? I think the dirt will glue on them and they'll look dirty after a few sessions and cleaning them will take more time than throwing my socks into the washing machine.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010347
Mobile Version of Website