New Trail Wheelset or Smaller Fat Tires for Trail Use

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
New Trail Wheelset or Smaller Fat Tires for Trail Use
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 12:17 Quote
I have a 2017 RM Suzy Q -30 and have ridden it year-round for a couple of years with 3.8" fat tires. I'd like to improve the climbing of the bike and make it more trail capable. My question is does anyone know if I can safely run a 27.5x3.0 tire on the 65mm rims on the bike?

The alternative is to buy a new wheelset, which gets expensive quick. Let me know what you think - Thx.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
WTB has a chart showing rim and tire compatibility and it doesn't even go up to 65mm. Looking again, the MTB 2.3 tire isn't recommended above a rim...42mm across (if I'm reading it correctly).
I might be wrong, but you can look following the link.
https://www.wtb.com/pages/tire-rim-fit-chart

I suggest getting a decent set of wheels for your new tires. Might be pricey, but if you get good wheels and take care of them they can last forever.

Good luck.

EDIT: looked at your post again and back at the chart - the 3.0 tire isn't recommended above the top the the chart. Still recommend a new wheelset.

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2022 at 19:53 Quote
cpigg wrote:
I have a 2017 RM Suzy Q -30 and have ridden it year-round for a couple of years with 3.8" fat tires. I'd like to improve the climbing of the bike and make it more trail capable. My question is does anyone know if I can safely run a 27.5x3.0 tire on the 65mm rims on the bike?

The alternative is to buy a new wheelset, which gets expensive quick. Let me know what you think - Thx.

I wouldn’t do it. Nextie says that their 65mm external (59mm internal) rim is good for 3.0-4.8, but being at the extreme of either side of that range would make me nervous.

I run a minion 3.8 on a 65mm rim in the rear in the summer and it looks good. My front rim is 80mm and the minion 3.8 works, but looks weird and square.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007546
Mobile Version of Website