Powered by Outside

Anyone try the Assegai Maxxgrip Exo+ yet?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Anyone try the Assegai Maxxgrip Exo+ yet?

Author Message
O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2022 at 8:30 Quote
Anyone try the Assegai Maxxgrip Exo+ yet? What is the rolling resistance like?

I'm currently trying to choose between the Maxxgrip EXO+, the MaxxTerra EXO+, or the Wild Enduro Gum-X. I want as much grip in the front as I can get, without entirely killing my ability to pedal.

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2022 at 8:57 Quote
I have this tire on my bike now. It’s sticky for sure. Super grippy! I don’t notice any difference in rolling resistance in comparison with the Maxxterra. The bike park will eat up this tire pretty quick though. But if you’re just running it in the front it will probably hold up pretty good.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 5, 2022 at 9:09 Quote
I agree with Matt above. This tire is probably the grippiest out there, don't necessarily notice any worse rolling either especially in the front. And yes this tire will get absolutely eaten up pretty quickly. Best grip in the game though.

Posted: Jan 5, 2022 at 12:18 Quote
Yes, I rented a bike with a brand new assagai EXO+ upfront, took about 25 seconds down the first run for it to get a hole so big the sealant couldn't patch it. It felt nice from a grip stand point but again, I only rode it for 25 seconds.

Posted: Jan 5, 2022 at 15:31 Quote
Wild Enduro gum x is very grippy..perhaps not on hardpack, but on anything loose I would bet the Wild enduro is grippier than the maxxgrip Assegai.

Posted: Jan 8, 2022 at 10:34 Quote
I’ve got a wild enduro gum x and it’s good. Found surprising grip on local polished and very slippery hardpack - better than I expected - much better than a magic Mary or hillbilly. Does a decent job in mud - better than the 2.35 addix soft Mary - but not as good as the 2.6” addix soft Mary.

So I’d put the wild enduro as a good all year round tyre if you’re not a tyre swapper. I have heard they wear quite quickly but I haven’t used mine enough.

Assegai is one I’m interested in for the spring / summer - would probably go maxxterra / exo+ if I go that route.

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2022 at 16:41 Quote
I got an Assegai in 2.5 WT EXO+ MaxxGrip in the fall when the weather started to turn for the worse and I really love the grip it offers. (I paired it with a Minion DHR2 2.4 WT EXO+ MaxxTerra on the rear)

For reference, I run a Minion DHF 2.5 WT EXO MaxxTerra (stock tire) on the front in conditions, so that's what I'm comparing to. My typical riding haunts are the North Shore, as well as the Coquitlam 'North Shore', and Garibaldi up in Squamish. (It's paired with a Dissector 2.4 WT EXO+ MaxxTerra on the rear.

I really do notice the added grip it offers in all conditions, and some of that is definitely due to the softer compound. I think it performs well in the mixed terrain I ride, which includes the heavily rock-armoured North Shore, the steep natural dirt of the Coquitlam 'North Shore', and the granite and roots up in Squamish. I do notice that moment of drift when you lean it over. It's a big tire, and it takes a moment to feel the cornering knobs engage. At first this made me hesitant to trust them, but there is so much cornering grip once you get past that moment of drift. I don't have any issues with mud clogging things up, but I just don't ride when it's that gross outside.

Definitely my bike feels slower, which isn't a big deal for me when riding the conditions I got the tire for, but I'll definitely be going back to my faster rolling setup when the time comes (the DHR2 is probably the biggest culprit for this, and the Dissector just rolls so fast in comparison). That said, since I don't mind swapping tires, I'll definitely be using this fall season setup on trips when I'll be riding rowdier trails, it really helps my shorter travel bike punch above it's weight.

I've heard of lots of people running the Assegai on the rear as well, but I opted for the DHR2 for better braking traction on the steeps. I mean, I'd love to try out more setups, but tires are too pricey for me to play around with that much.

I don't have any issues with lighter casing tires, but this is definitely the biggest point of contention among riders that I've noticed. I'm maybe 165+ with gear, and I didn't have any trouble with even the EXO casings that came stock on my bike. In the summer I run 21psi F / 23psi R, and in wetter fall conditions I run 18psi F / 21psi R. I almost always ask people about their feedback on tires when I'm chatting to people on the trail. I hear from people who flat on doubledowns on a weekly basis (not an exaggeration), but I made it through the summer season with zero flats on my EXO casings.

I looked at a lot of different tire manufacturers as well, since Maxxis are very pricey. I got good prices on the Maxxis tires i got, and the alternatives just weren't affordable up here in Canada. I figured that saving 10 or 20 on a tire wasn't worth the uncertainty. I mean, if I could try out those other tires on someones ride, I would be up for switching, but it seemed like an easily avoidable uncertainty. But I've read that some people are saving upwards of 50 per tire on other brands, so that would sway me if it were the case where I live.

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 12:27 Quote
I ended up going Assegai Maxxgrip EXO+ up front, and a Wild Enduro Rear Gum-X for the back. I'm willing to pay the Maxxis tax for maximum grip up front, but not for the rear, and I got a great deal on the WE.

  • Previous Page
  • Next Page

 


Copyright © 2000 - 2026. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007560
Mobile Version of Website