Sizing question SB150

PB Forum :: Yeti
Sizing question SB150
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 22, 2022 at 0:45 Quote
Long time listener, first time caller.

I’m on the lookout for a preloved Yeti SB150 and there’s a (seemingly) huge number of size L vs size M on the market. Now I’m not the tallest (178cm/5’10”) and sit smack in the middle of M/L according to Yetis sizing chart (which covers a smaller height than mine for a L incidentally) but surely not everyone buying a L Yeti is a 6 foot+ monster?

So my question is this; are people selling because the large is too big or did/do people preferentially buy the large over the medium and if so why?

There’s no good LBS locally to me incidentally hence why I can’t try for size.

Posted: Feb 22, 2022 at 1:16 Quote
Tiny73 wrote:
Long time listener, first time caller.

I’m on the lookout for a preloved Yeti SB150 and there’s a (seemingly) huge number of size L vs size M on the market. Now I’m not the tallest (178cm/5’10”) and sit smack in the middle of M/L according to Yetis sizing chart (which covers a smaller height than mine for a L incidentally) but surely not everyone buying a L Yeti is a 6 foot+ monster?

So my question is this; are people selling because the large is too big or did/do people preferentially buy the large over the medium and if so why?

There’s no good LBS locally to me incidentally hence why I can’t try for size.

Personally, large all day. Depends a bit on your riding I suppose.

Posted: Feb 23, 2022 at 6:06 Quote
I attended a Demo Day in November, & found the size medium to be just right compared to the large, I'm just over 5ft 8in.

Posted: Feb 23, 2022 at 16:55 Quote
It's not only about fit but balance...I am 5'8 and ride a medium sb165 and it's perfect...slight adjustment can be made with stem and saddle for fit when seated and the bike is plenty big enough for someone 5'10 for standing riding...but what you will find is the chainstays don't grow with the sizes...pretty much only the medium is the only one that has the correct front and rear balance...all the other sizes the chainstays are too short and the bike ends up heavily rear biased....someone on here sized down after owning a large specifically because of this. 434mm chainstays are simply way too short for the large and XL sizes and their huge front centres and the balance is negatively affected as a result...the medium is already pushing the front rear balance as it is. This has been a criticism in some reviews too. Though personally if I was wanting a 29er I would look past the sb150 and look at some newer offerings or even the older but more dh capable specialized enduro. The sb150 by todays standards is really a long travel trail bike..switch infinity isn't the plushest platform as it is and then you also only have 150mm travel at the rear...but if you are looking for an all round bike that pedals well then maybe it's the bike for you...just don't pick one too big otherwise you will have a long travel trail bike that is neither overly plush downhill but also steers like crap due to the unbalanced front and rear centre so won't be the best for trail riding also. I've spent a lot of coin on my sb165 to improve the ride quality...even with longer travel I wanted more plush and composed suspension and shelled out on an 11.6 rear shock and FAST SC4 damper and Smashpot for the fork...that's like 3 grand £ in suspension alone just to get it to feel good imo whereas other more active less pedal oriented bikes can feel plush with bog standard off the shelf shocks. But don't say I didn't warn you if you end up getting a regular oem shocked large sb150...I don't think you will be as stoked as you might think or maybe I just have stupidly unrealistic standards idk...

Posted: Feb 23, 2022 at 20:00 Quote
Medium without question

Posted: Feb 23, 2022 at 23:32 Quote
Thanks for the feedback everyone

Posted: Mar 2, 2022 at 9:11 Quote
Well if anyone’s interested I tried a large (guy literally round the corner) with the expectation that it would feel massive and lo and behold it fits like a glove. The reach isn’t too stretched out and the cockpit feels small enough to allow me to move around. All in all I’m a happy bunny.

FL
Posted: Apr 5, 2022 at 20:15 Quote
Tiny73 wrote:
Well if anyone’s interested I tried a large (guy literally round the corner) with the expectation that it would feel massive and lo and behold it fits like a glove. The reach isn’t too stretched out and the cockpit feels small enough to allow me to move around. All in all I’m a happy bunny.

Yeah I'm 5'8 and have a large sb150 but I race enduro and dh so I appreciate the larger bike.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010121
Mobile Version of Website