Brand new nomad is creaking - why?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Brand new nomad is creaking - why?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 18, 2022 at 8:54 Quote
Hi all,

My Nomad is creaking after 3 months of having it, and I've no idea why...
Unfortunately I have had a shoulder injury, and I can't ride my brand new Nomad, so its been in my shed which is heated Big Grin
I've taken it out on a few rides of the roads but that's all. I've worked out that its not the linkage that is creaking, rather something to do with the drivetrain cuz whenever I pedal hard, it starts creaking.
perhaps some water got in the bb? but surely not as its brand new and hasn't had any crashes (yet!)
Any ideas what it could be?
Muchas gracias

Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 17:28 Quote
Unlikely the bike (bb, pivot points). I always look towards pedals, saddle as first suspects, even when it's just when pedaling hard.

Drivetrain -
SRAM? Check for tightness of crankset and preload.
Shimano? Check derailleur cage pivots. My XTs always got loud

Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 23:29 Quote
i'm going to have to agree with either the pedals or saddle, and possible the seat post.

Posted: Apr 22, 2022 at 18:23 Quote
one shop I visited called them "Santa Creaks". My V4 5010 creeks badly. I've taken the frame apart numersou times to clean, lube, and tighten to spec. The creak seems to always come back.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2022 at 19:15 Quote
My vote also goes for pedals. Had it happen with some OneUp aluminum pedals.

Posted: Apr 24, 2022 at 9:08 Quote
Another vote for pedals and seat post.

Posted: Apr 24, 2022 at 17:22 Quote
Dustndirt wrote:
Another vote for pedals and seat post.

Posted: Apr 25, 2022 at 16:55 Quote
Everytime mine starts to creak in that manner, it is the crank or chainring. pull, clean, grease, reattach and torque fixes my issue. I have had chainrings get loose as well as the crank. May just need retorquing if fairly new.

FL
Posted: Apr 28, 2022 at 7:19 Quote
Isthistoorisky wrote:
Hi all,

My Nomad is creaking after 3 months of having it, and I've no idea why...
Unfortunately I have had a shoulder injury, and I can't ride my brand new Nomad, so its been in my shed which is heated Big Grin
I've taken it out on a few rides of the roads but that's all. I've worked out that its not the linkage that is creaking, rather something to do with the drivetrain cuz whenever I pedal hard, it starts creaking.
perhaps some water got in the bb? but surely not as its brand new and hasn't had any crashes (yet!)
Any ideas what it could be?
Muchas gracias

Mine also, nomad 5 less than 3 months old. Creaks like a barn door. Full strip down and regressed, torqued up to blueprint recommendations. This seems to fix the issue for 2 rides. No play anywhere and rides awesome but sounds like a knee with severe OA

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 13:20 Quote
I've had my 2021 Nomad for a little over a year now. In the first few months it developed a loud creak. Turned out it was only the rear axle, needed a little extra grease and proper torque. Then it was gone for good. Now, it has a new perplexing creak. It's kind of a weird one. Seems to be most noticeable when the bike is moving at speed and when it's heavily compressed right before a jump or a berm. The strange thing is if the bike is stationary and you just push down on the seat, the coil shock compresses quietly. No creak. There has to be weight and movement pushing down into the pedals/crankarms. Seems like I've ruled out most everything; linkage, headset, pedals, cassette, cleaned out bottom bracket area, etc. I even had the rear shock serviced. Could it possibly need a new bottom bracket? Doesn't seem likely, but a SRAM dub isn't too expensive I guess. It also remains quiet on long extended climbs. Anybody ever experience something like this?

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 11:14 Quote
Had the same issue with new nomad creaking. Pulled off the chainring, cleaned and re greased then torque to specs. Made sure the seat clamp was clean and torqued and now no more creaking. I’ve had previous SC bikes where doing this stopped the creaking as well.

O+
Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 20:42 Quote
Nomad v5, creek wouldn’t quit, here’s what I tried, Teflon tape and greased bb, crank spindle, spiderless chainring threads, pedal threads, crank threads( hope evo ), UDH threads, pulled out vpp link cleaned and greased, seat post. None of the above did shit.
I just tried greasing rear thru axle and seat post collar as mentioned above. And so far it has not creaked. Creaking would occur when putting power to the cranks. After several full tilt pedaling attempts there has been no noise. Hope it lasts.
Good luck!

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 23:29 Quote
teacherman wrote:
My brand new Hightower creaks like crazy! It's not one of the usual suspects (BB, seatpost, pedals, etc) It's definitely from the linkage and it's driving me nuts. I have fully disassembled, regreased, used Loctite and retorqued according to SC and the creak is still there! Could it have bad bearings already?!?

I inspect the bearings every 4-6 months and they have been fine, my current set has been on the bike for about fifteen months and still feel smooth so I'll continue to use them.

Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 18:57 Quote
Check that cassette is torqued to spec. I chased a creak that I was convinced was in the linkage. Had the lower and upper links fully torn apart multiple times…turned out to be the seat collar. Facepalm

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013134
Mobile Version of Website