Ripmo V2 Rear Axle consistently unthreading itself

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo V2 Rear Axle consistently unthreading itself
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 13:27 Quote
Axle on my Ripmo v2 is unthreading itself during rides and its becoming a bit dangerous. Yesterday the axle completely unthreaded during a ride and the wheel fully locked throwing me over the handlebars. It was a pretty solid fall, bruised some ribs, can't raise my shoulder over my head. I had noticed the axle was loose during the previous ride and tightened it down, I should have checked again this ride but have never had axles come loose that quickly. When i first bought it I replaced the rear Assegai with a DHR and midway through my first ride the shifting started to skip, checked it out and the wheel was wobbly. I was almost 100% positive i tightened it down with my torque wrench (usually do 9nm) after replacing the tire but assumed i must have not done it correctly or something, however in this new context i am thinking this is a peristent issue

The bike sustained some damage, solid scratch on the fork stanchion, some carbon damage around the axle holes and a bent rotor. My question is whether this would at all be applicable for a warranty? This was only the 4/5th ride on the bike, it was purchased last November. But i also understand they will have to be taking my word for it that it wasn't user error.

And is this something the shop i purchased at could potentially fix? or should i be looking at alternative solutions (ie. Loctite, plumbers tape). I'm pretty nervous to ride again, i guess i could stop every so often to check the rear axle while riding but that seems a bit ridiculous

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 12:33 Quote
Clean any grease from the threads, use blue loctite.

Don't think that's going to be considered a warranty issue, it's pretty common on a new bike, I had a similar issue with my Kona process. Degreasing threads and a little loctite kept it from happening again, although I do double check prior to riding & mid trail.

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 13:58 Quote
First off ouch, and second an axle coming loose makes the bike not fit for purpose through an inherent fault. You could have been even more seriously hurt.

May as well contact Ibis, as don't ask don't get.

Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 16:40 Quote
Check the torque on the end caps of the hub. There is an instruction PDF on Ibis' site on how to service the hub, there is detail in there on how to tighten them but basically you need 2 17mm wrenches. I had this same issue of the axle coming loose and found those end caps to be loose. Tightened them up and havent had an issue since.

Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 6:46 Quote
@323racer I'm thinking a replacement thru axle from the likes of Burgtec would be an option. That's of course if they've something compatible.

O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 8:56 Quote
Not sure what the Ibis axle torque spec is, but 9nm doesn't seem tight enough. From my experience with various frames, torque spec on rear axles is usually around 13-15nm.

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 13:25 Quote
I’ve never had my rear skewer completely come out like you did, but on my Ripley AF I’ve noticed sometimes it will start to unthread itself a bit and start creaking. Solution has just been checking it every few rides and making sure to clean and re-grease if it starts making noise.

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2023 at 12:58 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
Not sure what the Ibis axle torque spec is, but 9nm doesn't seem tight enough. From my experience with various frames, torque spec on rear axles is usually around 13-15nm.

all of my axles are in the 9-12nm range across 4 different bikes

I would inspect the threads on that axle. and all the bearings to make sure they all spin freely. there shouldnt be any rotation on that axle when installed.

friend of mine had an ibis axle crack perpendicular to the threads (lengthwise in relation to the axle)

only difference is it caused his axle to seize and we had to drill it out.

if the axle is good, i would use blue or purple loctite and hope you dont have to remove it regularly.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011470
Mobile Version of Website