Norco Optic rear suspension link removal

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Norco Optic rear suspension link removal
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 20, 2022 at 10:45 Quote
Hi guys,

I have a cascade components link that I was trying to install on my 2021 Norco Optic. I went to remove the stock rear suspension link and ran into difficulties. I was able to remove 2 of the 3 bolts. I removed the front triangle to linkarm bolt and the linkarm to shock bolt. I couldn’t remove the linkarm to seat stay bolts. I used a 6mm hex to try and unthread the bolt but it wouldn’t budge. I stopped trying because I felt like if I pushed any harder I was going to break either my tool or the bike. What am I doing wrong? Do any of you guys have any tips or tricks on how I can remove it? I will attach some pics so you can see what I’m talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Take care,
Jon

FL
Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 5:13 Quote
have you checked this document so you know what unbolts from what etc...

https://www.norco.com/cmsb/uploads/bikes/bikes/optic-assembler-doc-reve-my22-2022-06-16-customer_001.pdf

I have had mine apart a few times without issue. I wonder if your bolt has cross threaded or seized somehow?

Maybe your local bike shop can help?

FL
Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 12:15 Quote
Keep in mind that those bolts are (for lack of a better word) reverse logic!

Not reverse thread (!!!), but since you have to insert the tool into the bolt from the opposite side and into the bottom of the bolt, you gotta turn to the right from your perspective to turn to the left from the bolt’s perspective.

I made that logical mistake too at one point and damn near stripped the threads out of the seatstays.

Posted: Jul 22, 2022 at 6:13 Quote
LOL! After studying those diagrams I was also coming to that conclusion. Thank you both so much for the help! If I can figure out how to post a pic on here I’ll post a pic with the new link installed later today! Cheers!

FL
Posted: Jul 22, 2022 at 13:36 Quote
OK, I'm glad you figured it out. Like I said, I made the same mistake once and nearly destroyed the chain stays in the process. Why Norco decided that it would be a good idea to cut the threads straight into the aluminium of the seatstays is beyond me.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009241
Mobile Version of Website