Pool noodle as tire insert

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Pool noodle as tire insert
  • Previous Page
FL
Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 6:58 Quote
Recently moved to Quebec region and doing a lot more chunky and rough riding. Cracked my rear wheel the other day, so realizing that tire inserts probably are the way to go for the rebuild. However, I'm pretty choked at the price of a Cushcore or similar competitor. Yeah, I get R&D costs and whatnot but there has to be nearly a 1000% markup on those things from unit manufacturing cost to sale price. My broke student complaining ass aside, I digress.

Could I cut and fit a pool noodle to perform a similar task as a tire insert? Does anyone have any experience with this? I knew one guy who did this 5-6 years ago on his XC bike, but never heard of anyone trying it for gravity oriented purposes. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 7:13 Quote
Nope, pool noodles are open cell foam. Open cell foam will absorb tire sealant. There is a guy that makes inserts out of closed cell foam. Lookup Mynesweepers…. Good product, I use them.

Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 11:09 Quote
mustclime wrote:
Nope, pool noodles are open cell foam. Open cell foam will absorb tire sealant. There is a guy that makes inserts out of closed cell foam. Lookup Mynesweepers…. Good product, I use them.
I'm no expert but if pool noodles were open cell foam they would absorb water, lose most of their buoyancy and become useless as a floatation device.

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 11:28 Quote
I've got to think using a pool noodle will suck. The outer layer that you slice will likely absorb a bunch of sealant, turning into a heavy rock. You're better off just saving up a bit longer and finding some proper inserts slightly used, or on sale or something.

Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 13:00 Quote
16rally wrote:
mustclime wrote:
I'm no expert but if pool noodles were open cell foam they would absorb water, lose most of their buoyancy and become useless as a floatation device.
The plastic that makes the foam is lighter than water…. It’s not just the air.

Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 16:49 Quote
mustclime wrote:
16rally wrote:
mustclime wrote:
The plastic that makes the foam is lighter than water…. It’s not just the air.
Foam by definition is mostly air.
In case of closed cell foam the air is sealed in the closed cells.
In case of open cell foam getting soaked in a swiming pool, water will displace all of the air and very little buoyancy, due to the lighter specific weight of the plastic, will remain.

Additionally, have you ever been able to squeeze any water out of a pool noodles that has been soaking in water for a while?

Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 16:50 Quote
Check YouTube. Just saw a video of a dude that used foam pipe insulation.

Good luck.

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 20:33 Quote
16rally wrote:
mustclime wrote:

The pool noodles that I use to protect my fork stanchions while shuttling are definitely closed cell foam. I think they'd need significant modification to work as tubeless inserts though.

Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 2:51 Quote
It would be better to use joint cord instead - it does not absorb sealant and is still cheap. Basically it's a cheaper version of Baribieri Anaconda.

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 4:48 Quote
Vittoria airliners are way cheaper and get good reviews

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 6:25 Quote
Kevindhansen wrote:

Not to mention being more durable than most out there.

Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 7:57 Quote
Kevindhansen wrote:

$54 for one?…. Mynesweepers are the same price for 2…. Must me new math.

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 9:32 Quote
Original poster hasn't replied in a dozen responses. I love these threads asking for advice.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 12:41 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
Original poster hasn't replied in a dozen responses. I love these threads asking for advice.

Probably stepped on a pool noodle and realized it wasn’t going to do anything for protecting a mtb wheel

FL
Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 16:08 Quote
mustclime wrote:

Shipping to Canada might kill me but I'll take a look!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008557
Mobile Version of Website