Knolly Chilcotin vs SC Mega Tower

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Knolly Chilcotin vs SC Mega Tower
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 31, 2022 at 20:40 Quote
Hi all,

I'm looking to see if anyone has been able to ride compare a Knolly Chilcoton 167 vs a Santa Cruz Megatower (R build).

Aside from the better suspension and drive train on the Knolly I'm interested in how people found how differently they ride?

Thanks a bunch all.

Posted: Aug 1, 2022 at 1:43 Quote
I don't have experience with either but any reason you are settled on only these 2 bikes? Why not a Specialized Enduro, Norco Range etc if you want a plush DH capable ride or an SB150 if you want more of a race bike feel?

Posted: Aug 1, 2022 at 9:29 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
I don't have experience with either but any reason you are settled on only these 2 bikes? Why not a Specialized Enduro, Norco Range etc if you want a plush DH capable ride or an SB150 if you want more of a race bike feel?

Good questions - the Range is just too focused on the downs; I will take another look at the Enduro though (I must have been looking at an older model as I thought it had a Lyrik but it also has a Zeb) - thanks.

EDIT: took a closer look and the Enduro is also now in the mix - thanks.

O+
Posted: Aug 1, 2022 at 11:06 Quote
I don't have any experience with the Knolly, but I've had the V2 megatower for two months (20-25 rides) and it's amazing. Obvioulsy very good on the descents and a competent climber, but most surprisingly still enjoyable on the green/blue techy xc that my (8 and 10yr) kids and I do. The SC $ for value is a bit shit, but it's a fine rig

Posted: Aug 1, 2022 at 16:04 Quote
Starsky686 wrote:
I don't have any experience with the Knolly, but I've had the V2 megatower for two months (20-25 rides) and it's amazing. Obvioulsy very good on the descents and a competent climber, but most surprisingly still enjoyable on the green/blue techy xc that my (8 and 10yr) kids and I do. The SC $ for value is a bit shit, but it's a fine rig

Do you mind me asking what build you have?

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 1, 2022 at 18:50 Quote
I’ve owned a Enduro Comp for just over a year, I’ve been upgrading it as I go. I keep the stock air shock for a poppier more trail feel and a coil for bigger terrain and bike park days. It’s not a fast climber, but I’ve cleaned a bunch of low traction tech moves that I’ve not been able to do before.

It definitely feels like too much bike sometimes, but it feels good enough at the bike parks that I sold my YT Tues. Especially once I put a 180 Zeb and a coil shock on it.

No experience with the other bikes on your list.

O+
Posted: Aug 1, 2022 at 22:00 Quote
SteveH250 wrote:
Starsky686 wrote:

Do you mind me asking what build you have?

S build. I was coming of a bike with Code rsc brakes and a fox 36 grip 2. I missing the grip 2 level of adjustments. Not missing the rsc’s as much as I thought I would. Pretty happy with the super deluxe select+

Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 6:00 Quote
The enduro is a pig on the climbs. go for the mega

FL
Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 14:41 Quote
I owned a Knolly Chilcotin last season and before I bought it I demo'd both it and a MegaTower for 3 days each. Took each on 3 good long hard rides on varying terrain.

Short answer, I bought the Chilcotin.

The biggest differences between the two for me were... 1. Weight, 2: Suspension performance, 3. Value for performance.

The weight I can handle and get used to and it wasn't much of a difference anyway. But the suspension performance, while not considerably different, was noticeable. Hard to explain the exact nuances at play... but basically I found that while hauling ass through steep gnarly chunk, I was a little more confident and poised on the Knolly. People like to criticize Knolly for having that extra link, but I think it really does work.. suspension just felt more active when under extreme loads... like the Knolly wasn't putting much weird angular pressure on the shock like a lot of frames do. Another suspension performance item I noticed was activity under hard braking. The SC seemed to not be quite as active... seemed to skip and skid through chunk and little root/rock drops while braking... while he Knolly seemed to still soak them up a little better under hard braking. Value for performance...I also demo'd a HighTower previously just to get a feel for what that bike was all about. After demo'ing a couple Santa Cruz's among a bunch of other bikes... I don't really understand why they feel like they can charge a premium for their brand. The bikes were fantastic... but weren't any better than many of the others I demo'd. Much more value in the Knolly. I also liked that I could pick up a phone and chat with Knolly directly for questions/concerns changes to the spec, etc.

Anyway, I think we're in an amazing time right now with bikes... they are all just so good. The megatower was a awesome bike... I just found a few things the Knolly did better and so for me and my terrain, the Knolly won out. I wasn't disappointed... that bike elevated my game and I hit some gnarly drops and lines I never thought I'd do on that bike.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 17:54 Quote
islandforlife wrote:
I owned a Knolly Chilcotin last season and before I bought it I demo'd both it and a MegaTower for 3 days each. Took each on 3 good long hard rides on varying terrain.

The biggest differences between the two for me were... 1. Weight, 2: Suspension performance, 3. Value for performance.

The weight I can handle and get used to and it wasn't much of a difference anyway. But the suspension performance, while not considerably different, was noticeable. Hard to explain the exact nuances at play... but basically I found that while hauling ass through steep gnarly chunk, I was a little more confident and poised on the Knolly. People like to criticize Knolly for having that extra link, but I think it really does work.. suspension just felt more active when under extreme loads... like the Knolly wasn't putting much weird angular pressure on the shock like a lot of frames do. Another suspension performance item I noticed was activity under hard braking. The SC seemed to not be quite as active... seemed to skip and skid through chunk and little root/rock drops while braking... while he Knolly seemed to still soak them up a little better under hard braking. Value for performance...I also demo'd a HighTower previously just to get a feel for what that bike was all about. After demo'ing a couple Santa Cruz's among a bunch of other bikes... I don't really understand why they feel like they can charge a premium for their brand. The bikes were fantastic... but weren't any better than many of the others I demo'd. Much more value in the Knolly. I also liked that I could pick up a phone and chat with Knolly directly for questions/concerns changes to the spec, etc.

Anyway, I think we're in an amazing time right now with bikes... they are all just so good. The megatower was a awesome bike... I just found a few things the Knolly did better and so for me and my terrain, the Knolly won out. I wasn't disappointed... that bike elevated my game and I hit some gnarly drops and lines I never thought I'd do on that bike.

I'd add a caveat to your well written review. You rode a Megatower V1. V2 is out now.

FL
Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 21:23 Quote
Starsky686 wrote:
islandforlife wrote:

I'd add a caveat to your well written review. You rode a Megatower V1. V2 is out now.

Yes, true… with very little changed. I suspect my overall assessment wouldn’t change much.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 22:23 Quote
islandforlife wrote:

Yes, true… with very little changed. I suspect my overall assessment wouldn’t change much.

Very little other than;
Fork travel and diameter,
Shock stroke length, travel, and leverage ratio,
The head angle,
Seat angle,
Reach, and
Chainstay length….very little.

FL
Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 23:11 Quote
Starsky686 wrote:
islandforlife wrote:

Very little other than;
The head angle,
Seat angle,
Reach, and

Haha, true, but in reading reviews, and from a buddy that demo’d both and bought a lightly used V1 because he said they felt virtually the same… most reviewers seemed to like the previous gen better. But who knows… will have to tray and swing a leg over one sometime.

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 11:48 Quote
islandforlife wrote:
Starsky686 wrote:
islandforlife wrote:

Very little other than;
The head angle,
Seat angle,
Reach, and

Haha, true, but in reading reviews, and from a buddy that demo’d both and bought a lightly used V1 because he said they felt virtually the same… most reviewers seemed to like the previous gen better. But who knows… will have to tray and swing a leg over one sometime.

I liked the V1 just fine in the half dozen rides I was able to demo it, but the V2 is a marked improvement. V1 with 160/160 and the HA on the conservative side was a little uncommitted to its intent. V2 is certain and serious.

I can tell you Both are bigger brawlers than my Reign29 Advanced pro but don’t sacrifice the climb.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.035306
Mobile Version of Website