Older riders, but not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Older riders, but not "Old School"
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 12, 2008 at 17:16 Quote
Pretty much sums it up. I've noticed somewhat of a divide when reading these forums. Lots of the discussions are dominated by riders that are in the 14-24 age bracket, and the assumption is that if you are older than 28 you are an "old schooler" (not to be confused with Pinkbike "old schoolers missing something" thread).

I find that to be somewhat of a misnomer. While I did ride some DH in the late 90's, the trails I ride these days and the style in which my friends and I ride them would definitely be considered "new school."

Just curious how many of you out there in the 30-45 age bracket are still out sending it on a regular basis, and if you've noticed the misconception I've mentioned above in the forums or on the trails.

Do tell.....

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 21:08 Quote
any way to limit access to this thread to users 28 and up?Cool

then we'd have sumthing

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 21:13 Quote
I'm in the 40 Somethings.........can you make it an age restricted thread? So I suppose Dotca would be firing a comment about that......

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 21:15 Quote
shondo wrote:
any way to limit access to this thread to users 28 and up?Cool

then we'd have sumthing

Other than simple common sense, not really.

On that note with respect to the younger riders: while we love to hear about your folks still going big, this thread is intended for the older riders to share their own stories, not stories about older riders by younger riders. Again, no disrespect intended, we just want to hear it "from the horse's mouth," so to speak.

Fogeys, you have the floor!

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 21:36 Quote
speaking of youngsters though....I had one of those moments of sublime reality this past summer, at Silverstar I stacked it pretty bad coming off some woodwork. I was literally lying in the trail for a moment, winded and mildly bleeding from the elbow. I propped myself up on the other elbow just in time to be buzzed from above as two riders, who I'd guess were about 14 yrs., basically just jumped over me like i was a log in the trail. I felt very old at that moment. Very old.

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 21:45 Quote
Whoa. You were sorta like a bump in the trail, an obstacle? Oh my......that's something outta a horror movie.

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 21:52 Quote
not one of my finer moments........

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 21:57 Quote
40 is supposed to be the new 30. I'm wondering myself if that's a true statement. I hate crashing. On my tombstone will read "I told ya Armor wouldn't save me"

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 22:02 Quote
northwestdhdad wrote:
40 is supposed to be the new 30. I'm wondering myself if that's a true statement. I hate crashing. On my tombstone will read "I told ya Armor wouldn't save me"
it just hurts more now. lots more. Everytime i dump it over the last two seasons, I seem to get just huge deep bruising. I take less chances these days that's for sure. I have bills to pay. Sometimes when I stare down a big steep or off a drop....I think about the car getting repo'd if i can't work.Wink

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 22:14 Quote
Nice thread idea. Sounds like me to a T
We are in the middle of a cold snap, minus 12 - 20 c plus wind chill,= wait till it is a little warmer to try out my freshly studed tires. Todays VOD is sick, makes me want to live in the States, almost.

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 22:32 Quote
Heyyy, freshly studded tires. That sounds like you made them yourself. I've been looking for a place to buy actual carbide studs so that i can set up my own tires. Any advice?

Oh, and here in Calgary the wind chill is sending it below -30C. -20C sounds balmy Big Grin

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 22:34 Quote
nato wrote:
Nice thread idea. Sounds like me to a T
We are in the middle of a cold snap, minus 12 - 20 c plus wind chill,= wait till it is a little warmer to try out my freshly studed tires. Todays VOD is sick, makes me want to live in the States, almost.

Yeah, Mike Montgomery puts on a wicked show. That over the fence launch, I wonder if he made it? The off-axis 720 was nuclear.

O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 22:34 Quote
you people in the south really have to stop complaining about the temps, it's -43 here right now. Mike, have you tried the 661 Evo armor? That stuff is amazing! Geoff and I went riding a couple of weeks ago (him on his big bike, my clipped into my hardtail) and I had a few beauty crashes, and that armor is the most comfortable thing to crash in tup

I"m not going to get to send it too much this year as I'm transferred overseas to work with the UN in Africa, but I will get to go to Whistler twice before I move there in November of '09. Plus, I'm going to try and get to the Mega Avalanche at Reunion Island, South Africa, while I"m over there.

There is a plus side to being older and still shredding, how many 14 year olds could go do a Mega Avalanche in South Africa?

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 22:52 Quote
Cory here, 36 years old and still shredding. I am not nearly as quick as I was at 26, and I do not jump right up after a crash anymore, but I am still doing what I do best all the same. The one thing I have observed and can attest to is, I have to stay on top of the game or my physique and agility really faulter... needless to say, I do a lot of indoor training when the weather is not prime to ride.

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 22:58 Quote
saintjimmy wrote:
There is a plus side to being older and still shredding, how many 14 year olds could go do a Mega Avalanche in South Africa?

Nah, Splinter. It's how many 14 year-olds could logistically handle and monetarily afford to do it? Many pluses to having learned life's lessons over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.....Yep.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010470
Mobile Version of Website