Hate the feeling of airtime.

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Hate the feeling of airtime.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 4, 2022 at 19:13 Quote
Hey, freeride newbie here.
I recently hit whistler with some of my buddies for the first time on a rental DH bike and I have never really been good at MTB but I have a bmx background. We hit crank it up and many other trails but on crank it up there is one jump that stands out to me and its a step up with a 10-15 foot lip but the landing is probably 3 feet away. I went through it blindly and I got that rollercoaster feeling in the air and I froze up completely due to the feeling and fully nose dived and bottomed the fork. Thankfully I didn't go OTB but still. I know for a fact it is impossible for me to get hurt when commiting for a big jump as I have good bike control I just hate the feeling of that "rollercoaster" stomach feeling in the air.

Is this only for me? Or is it a beginner thing and will go away with time?

O+
Posted: Sep 4, 2022 at 22:01 Quote
It's not just you, and it's your body trying to tell you that what you're doing is unnatural. You could train yourself to ignore it and it might eventually go away, although how long that might take, I couldn't say.

FL
Posted: Sep 4, 2022 at 23:55 Quote
a lot of riders will throw a little whip or turn bar, table etc just to take away that feeling. Kinda like doing that, takes away that nothingness feeling, so your not just waiting for the landing.. It can aslo help to control a dead sailor or getting taken by the wind.

Posted: Sep 5, 2022 at 7:38 Quote
Congratulations, it sounds like you have a sense of self preservation. I would practice the move to make it more comfortable. It seems like no two jumps are ever the exact same, and catching air is simultaneously the most technical and consequential thing in MTB.

If you are hitting jumps like this and are new to MTB, that is a real testament to your BMX skills. You are well on your way, just more time on the mountain bike will help a lot.

Posted: Oct 21, 2022 at 20:33 Quote
It sounds like you just rode up the jump and held on, popping off the lip could make you feel more controlled. The same way you would air a quarter or a spine on your BMX.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010014
Mobile Version of Website