Build options for my SB130

PB Forum :: Yeti
Build options for my SB130
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2022 at 18:05 Quote
I found a good deal on a 2021 SB130 frame. I’m going to be swapping parts from a different bike onto this frame. I have a FOX 36 Factory Grip 2 160mm travel. I am trying to decide between 3 options:

1. Reduce the travel of the FOX 36 to to 150mm
2. Keep the travel at 160mm
3. Keep the travel at 160mm and convert the shock to LR.

Does anyone have any familliarity with these options that could provide feedback on how the handling is affected?

O+
Posted: Oct 16, 2022 at 20:13 Quote
Are the LR linkages the same? Cause i'd go TLR for sure

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2022 at 20:26 Quote
I went through this as the 2021 SB130 was my first dual suspension bike.
I rode it for 3 months then opted to convert it to LR version and upgraded the fork from FIT4 to Grip 2.
At 150/130, the bike is pure trail. With 160/137, the bike becomes just a little more capable. No noticeable change in handling though. It climbed the same, it descended just a little more assured.
Consider the trails and your style. If you push the bike and look to ride technical terrain...make it a LR. Otherwise the stock will suffice.

For what you have, I'd stick with the 160 and convert to 137 in the back since
1. it costs you nothing,
2. You add potential without loosing the character of the bike.
3. The 140 rear is about to be released as a newer model (Strong speculations)

That bike needs an active pilot with skilled control of that front wheel. It's not very forgiving if/when you switch off.

Posted: Oct 26, 2022 at 16:39 Quote
Make it a Lunch Ride! THe rear shock is super easy to convert. Just need to remove a spacer.

Posted: Nov 13, 2022 at 17:41 Quote
im still at 150mm on my 130 but I would not waste the time or money converting a 160 fork to 150. as far as the rear shock goes, ride it in stock form first and see how you like it. then if you want more travel, cut out the spacer. lots of people say great things about 160/130 setup

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2022 at 8:52 Quote
Lunch ride it for sure. I made mine a SLR (super lunch ride) by installing the Slack-R headset to take the HA from 65 degrees down to around 63.8. Know its a really fun handling bike. In the big chunky stuff the rear spends a little more time in the air compared to my enduro obviously but is handles well at speed and in the steep stuff too while being super poppy and lively for getting airborne.

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2023 at 12:33 Quote
duffman1976 wrote:
Lunch ride it for sure. I made mine a SLR (super lunch ride) by installing the Slack-R headset to take the HA from 65 degrees down to around 63.8. Know its a really fun handling bike. In the big chunky stuff the rear spends a little more time in the air compared to my enduro obviously but is handles well at speed and in the steep stuff too while being super poppy and lively for getting airborne.

I know this is several months old, but curious how the bike turns after slackening the headset? The 130LR generally requires more weight forward. So wondering if you really need to work the front end now?

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2023 at 11:19 Quote
BrucesmXGC3 wrote:
duffman1976 wrote:

I know this is several months old, but curious how the bike turns after slackening the headset? The 130LR generally requires more weight forward. So wondering if you really need to work the front end now?

It slows down the feel of the steering but the bike still turns well. Just depends on what you are used to and what the trails are like where you ride. I would not recommend slacking it out for flatter XC type trails.

O+ FL
Posted: May 27, 2023 at 7:02 Quote
Keep the front 160 and do a LR conversion on the back. I did that to mine and it's awesome.

rdestep wrote:
I found a good deal on a 2021 SB130 frame. I’m going to be swapping parts from a different bike onto this frame. I have a FOX 36 Factory Grip 2 160mm travel. I am trying to decide between 3 options:

1. Reduce the travel of the FOX 36 to to 150mm
2. Keep the travel at 160mm
3. Keep the travel at 160mm and convert the shock to LR.

Does anyone have any familliarity with these options that could provide feedback on how the handling is affected?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008075
Mobile Version of Website