Powered by Outside

Garbaruk problems anyone?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Garbaruk problems anyone?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 5, 2023 at 15:09 Quote
Hey folks. Recently installed a Garbaruk 11-50 cassette using Shimano XT 11 speed derailleur. Initially, I kept the Shimano cage and while it would shift through all the gears, the noise of this cassette is off the chart. Its like the inner plate of the links are rubbing against the next upper gear no matter how much I adjusted the indexing screw on the shifter (XTR). Used a Shimano chain.

Swapped out the cage to the Garbaruk cage and chain to a KMC and "slightly better" result BUT, when adjusting the B screw to the recommended 5mm clearance, it wont shift into the highest gear. Add to that, when I set the chain tension adjuster to max, it gets REALLY noisy and shifting becomes strained.

Has anyone had these issues? I've used a dozen Shimano cassettes over the years and a few Sunrace ones, and set them up in like five minutes. I've been at the Garbaruk for hours and cant get it running smooth at all.

Posted: Jan 5, 2023 at 20:05 Quote
RD-M8000, both mid (GS) & long (SGS) cages technically have cassette low gear ranges between 40t (min) - 46t (max). I've mentioned both cage lengths as I'm unsure which one you have. But what I'm actually trying to address is the fact that regardless of the cage length, both derailleur variants have a max cog compatibility of 46t. The 50t max cog is "not ideally compatible for high performace".

And to clarify about the cage lengths. Assuming you're running a 1x, your capacity is then dictated exclusively by your cassette's largest and smallest cogs. 50 minus 11 equals 39. If your stock cage is long, then you're fine (47t max capacity). If your stock cage is mid, you're also fine! (39t max capacity).

The 11s XT derailleur's body is simply not designed to trace the profile of an 11 - 50t cassette. So if you've set your b gap correctly (which appears you have), yes, it's likely that the reliability of shifting into gear 11 will suffer. The guide pulley is farther out than it should because the entire derailleur setup is offset by the difference in diameter of a 46t cog and your 50t cog.

As for the noise, it could a chain length issue. The jump into "modern" wide range cassettes (10/11t - 50-52t) requires new techniques. For Shimano derailleurs, wrap the chain around the chainring, then around the largest cog--bypassing the derailleur. Touch off the ends and add
-hardtails: +5/6 (including quick link)
-full suspension: +6/7 (including quick link)

Source: https://si.shimano.com/en/dm/MARD001/Checking_the_chain_length

Note, the above chain sizing method assumes that the cassette is Shimano's 10/11-51t. Being that the effective range is similar to your Garbaruk, you should be fine here. However, equally important for this method is the correct derailleur.

I've also made a few assumptions but I suspect your issues can be resolved with the correct chain length paired with an RD-M5100.

My final due diligence--is everything 11s? Shifter, chain, derailleur & cassette?

Posted: Jan 6, 2023 at 0:34 Quote
aegiz wrote:
RD-M8000, both mid (GS) & long (SGS) cages technically have cassette low gear ranges between 40t (min) - 46t (max). I've mentioned both cage lengths as I'm unsure which one you have. But what I'm actually trying to address is the fact that regardless of the cage length, both derailleur variants have a max cog compatibility of 46t. The 50t max cog is "not ideally compatible for high performace".

And to clarify about the cage lengths. Assuming you're running a 1x, your capacity is then dictated exclusively by your cassette's largest and smallest cogs. 50 minus 11 equals 39. If your stock cage is long, then you're fine (47t max capacity). If your stock cage is mid, you're also fine! (39t max capacity).

The 11s XT derailleur's body is simply not designed to trace the profile of an 11 - 50t cassette. So if you've set your b gap correctly (which appears you have), yes, it's likely that the reliability of shifting into gear 11 will suffer. The guide pulley is farther out than it should because the entire derailleur setup is offset by the difference in diameter of a 46t cog and your 50t.

My final due diligence--is everything 11s? Shifter, chain, derailleur & cassette?

Cheers for the detailed answer. Everything is 11 speed and I changed the cage to a Garbaruk cage which is supposed to resolve the capacity issue.

Next stop- chain length. Thanks again.

Posted: May 13, 2024 at 10:36 Quote
Since there's not much info out there about this, thought I'd post here to share my experience. I installed a Garbaruk 11-speed 11-50 HG cassette paired with a GX 11-speed derailleur with the garbaruk cage and pulleys. I first used a connex chain, and while was able to get it to shift perfectly, the drivetrain would produce a lot of noise, and in the smaller cogs the chain would catch on the next larger cog, causing a noise that would make me think the cable tension was off. I gave up and went back to my old cassette, but recently talked to the mechanic at my LBS who advised me to use a shimano or sram chain - I also emailed garbaruk and they said shimano chain with the HG cassettes, sram with the XD cassettes. I also note that they now say on the garbaruk site to not use KMC or YBN chains with their cassettes. I'm now using an XTR 11-speed chain with minimal noise and shifting is perfect.

Anyway I hope this is helpful to the OP. Maybe shimano chain + dialing in chain length will get you to a good place.

Posted: May 13, 2024 at 15:24 Quote
I'm running a garbaruk 11s cassette,11s shifter,and 12s xt derailleur. Shifting is good,but not great. Probably won't go this route again.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007790
Mobile Version of Website