Meta TR Ohlins vs Spectral CF8 CLLCTV (mullet)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Meta TR Ohlins vs Spectral CF8 CLLCTV (mullet)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 14:29 Quote
Trying to decide between these two. I have options on both at exactly the same price.

The Meta is a dreamy spec with Ohlins (air shock), AXS and i9 hubs. The Spectral has a great suspension package (Fox coil), XT and EX511 rims (my favourite).

I will be using the bike for UK and Alp bike park stuff. I don't want or need a full-enduro bike as I am also extremely lucky to have a new Evil Insurgent MX which I adore, and a Canyon Strive CF for when there is a danger I may have to go up hills.

I am drawn to the Meta on account of spec and looks (raw polished frame and super functional). I do however read lots about pretty severe pedal kickback and poor suspension performance under rear braking.

The Spectral Mullet just looks like an absolute riot to ride... A little like a lower-travel version of my Insurgent, but Canyon doesn't feel as 'special' as a Commencal. Try as I mighty, I can't really find much negativity about the Mullet Spectral, so....

Choices, choices..... Thoughts?

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 19:15 Quote
What’s the weight difference?

Posted: Jan 24, 2023 at 0:12 Quote
The TR is clearly going to be much heavier, even with an air shock (which I could most likely swap to coil, adding even more weight). I'm not sure how important weight really is though, even going uphill. It adds stability and only really holds back acceleration, which is less of an issue when you have gravity on your side.

Posted: Jan 24, 2023 at 2:59 Quote
I cant comment on the Spectral as i've not ridden one, but I currently have a TR (albeit a lower spec than the Ohlins), so can give you my opinion on that.

I f**king love it! It does have some downfalls, but those were mainly due to the spec, which was all i could afford at the time.
It's my only bike. I was in between the TR and AM, but decided to go with the TR as it would also be doing dad duty rides with my little girl, so i figured 140mm would be enough and would be more pedal-able for family rides. But I do ride some pretty big stuff too. So I have had to upgrade the rear shock as i was blowing through travel, and its taken a lot of playing about with the tuning to get it right for me. But now its right, the bike has had no issues handling trips to Revs and Woburn. In hindsight, the AM would have probably been a better choice for me, just because it would have handled those big hits better, and probably not been much worse to pedal.
I'm 6ft and on a Large. I came from a 2016 Meta SX on 26" wheels, so it was quite a big change. Its a big bike, but somehow still popy (poppy? popie?) and playful.
Personally, if i was to be in a position to buy it over again, i would probably go with the new Meta SX as one bike to do it all, and the SX wasn't out when i bought my TR.

Luckily, you aren't in the one bike position, but if im honest, im not really sure why your comparison is between the Spectral Mullet and the Meta TR?
Firstly, there is quite a bit of difference between those bikes. Aimed at Enduro vs Trail. Mullet vs 29. 160 vs 140 rear travel. I think the Spectral vs the Meta SX would be a better comparison. They're much closer in design.
Secondly, there's not going to be much difference between the Spectral and the 2 bikes you already own, bar the smaller rear wheel and -8mm rear travel on the Spectral.

If its mainly going to be a park bike, in my mind the SX would be the better option.
Or if your wanting less travel for whatever reason, go with the TR or maybe even the Spectral125, as they are both less travel than the 2 bikes you already own, and would be used for different things.

I hope that actually helps and doesnt just throw a spanner in the works to confuse things further.

Posted: Jan 24, 2023 at 3:53 Quote
Thanks for the detailed reply.

The other two bikes I have live at my home in Madeira, hence them being long travel enduro bikes.

For the UK I am looking for slightly shorter travel but with similar geometry. In this respect the TR and the Mullet Spectral both fit perfectly. I want/need at least at 29" wheel on the front.

Finally, there is price point too. Both of these options are coming in at sub £3k for me.

Posted: Jan 24, 2023 at 3:59 Quote
Yep, fair enough.

I've heard lots of good things about the Spectral, and it would be on my shortlist for a new bike too. So out of the two, that would be my pick for UK riding. Mainly because it has that little bit more rear travel and will suit everyday riding as well as the occasional bike park.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011915
Mobile Version of Website