Powered by Outside

Has anybody brought a YT just for the parts and sold the frame?

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Has anybody brought a YT just for the parts and sold the frame?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 29, 2023 at 16:23 Quote
Recently in a conversation about YT in a different forum, highly respected Pinkbike user iffy posted this:

iffy wrote:
and YT sales tanked because people realised that their bikes only last a year or 2 at most and are disposable,

most savvy riders bought one to strip the components from it and then sold the "new" frame to people wiating for a replacement for their broken one.

How often does this happen, buying a complete bike to get the parts art near OEM prices, and then sell the frame to an existing YT owner who is desperately waiting for warranty parts? Or anybody just looking for a new inexpensive frame. It is pretty savvy.

I've heard about YT owners sometimes waiting months, so it's understandable why they might be willing to buy a whole frame instead of wait for a chainstay. Plus your whole bike looks brand new instead

I looked in the Pinkbike buy/sell and there are some new looking frames for sale.

If riders are doing this to get parts for cheap, then this seems like another way that these direct sales bike companies not only hurt bike shops and hurt profits for parts manufacturers also.

Hopefully nobody will start a full on blackmarket business based upon this model, I'll be doing more research to get to the bottom of this. If I find anything illegal or unethical I will turn the information over to the proper authorities.

FL
Posted: Jan 29, 2023 at 16:56 Quote
Why does your name and YT Come up so often?

I believe YT isnt even that great value anymore. Infact they are getting up there in price here in NZ(unless on special)

It's common to see People buy Bikes and sell all the parts just to get the frame cheaper.

Make sure you give the Authorities your pinkbike handle - Just so they can look up the rubbish you spill and ignore you.

Posted: Jan 29, 2023 at 17:57 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:

It's common to see People buy Bikes and sell all the parts just to get the frame cheaper.

I've heard of one person doing that with a Specialized, but not with YT.
YT doesn't usually sell frames alone, so I guess if you only needed a frame somebody might do that.

Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 17:36 Quote
I thought about doing this when I bought a YT Uncaged 9 for $5500 AUD a few months ago. Only had an XL frame in stock which was actually very close to an S4 Status I was considering, so jumped on it thinking if the frame was too large I'd just swap the parts across.

Basically got an RXF38 m.2, TTX22M coil, Crankbrothers Synthesis Alloy mullet wheels, GX drivetrain and a SDG
dropper. Sold the Code R's, renthal bar+stem combo already.

It's probably slightly too large for me but really not that bad.

It was about the same size as my 2020 Stumpy evo in S3. The frame quality feels fantastic especially compared to Specialized. I've bought a YT dirt love now too.

Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 3:26 Quote
There’s nothing illegal or unethical going on here.

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2023 at 18:19 Quote
DoubleCrownAddict wrote:
Recently in a conversation about YT in a different forum, highly respected Pinkbike user iffy posted this:

iffy wrote:
and YT sales tanked because people realised that their bikes only last a year or 2 at most and are disposable,

most savvy riders bought one to strip the components from it and then sold the "new" frame to people wiating for a replacement for their broken one.

How often does this happen, buying a complete bike to get the parts art near OEM prices, and then sell the frame to an existing YT owner who is desperately waiting for warranty parts? Or anybody just looking for a new inexpensive frame. It is pretty savvy.

I've heard about YT owners sometimes waiting months, so it's understandable why they might be willing to buy a whole frame instead of wait for a chainstay. Plus your whole bike looks brand new instead

I looked in the Pinkbike buy/sell and there are some new looking frames for sale.

If riders are doing this to get parts for cheap, then this seems like another way that these direct sales bike companies not only hurt bike shops and hurt profits for parts manufacturers also.

Hopefully nobody will start a full on blackmarket business based upon this model, I'll be doing more research to get to the bottom of this. If I find anything illegal or unethical I will turn the information over to the proper authorities.

What forum were you discussing YT with iffy in? Wouldn't mind reading it.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010417
Mobile Version of Website