Cane creek double barrel kitsuma spring help

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Cane creek double barrel kitsuma spring help
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 31, 2023 at 10:57 Quote
I have a cane creek double barrel kitsuma on route and am haveinf trouble finding a spring suitable for me.

Bike is a specialized turbo kenevo sl comp 2022

Shock size is 230mm x 62.5mm

I bought two can creek 600lbs springs 2.5” x 600lbs one is cane creeks vault linear spring the other is theirs normal spring on back order.

I weigh 238lbs.

Can creek told me I need a 700lbs spring or perhaps try an air shock I don’t like air shocks hence why I bought their coil.

Do other brand coils work in my cane creek?

And if so what size coil do I purchase?

Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 2:13 Quote
Pretty sure a Fox spring would work (the regular one, not the SLS), and in your size they go up to 700. If you can't find the inner diameter, I have a 700x2.8 in the garage I could measure to compare with your shock and see if it would fit.

Heavier springs like those have thicker coils, and sometimes can cause problems with the ends used to keep the coil in place (can't even remember the name ..). Worst case, a dremel to remove a bit of the plastic coating (or even 0.5mm of metal) would do the trick.

Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 4:03 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
Pretty sure a Fox spring would work (the regular one, not the SLS), and in your size they go up to 700. If you can't find the inner diameter, I have a 700x2.8 in the garage I could measure to compare with your shock and see if it would fit.

Heavier springs like those have thicker coils, and sometimes can cause problems with the ends used to keep the coil in place (can't even remember the name ..). Worst case, a dremel to remove a bit of the plastic coating (or even 0.5mm of metal) would do the trick.

Thanks cane creek wasn’t much help just told me to buy Öhlins spring

Öhlins wasn’t any help either I asked what spring would fit on my shock

Probably will never buy cane creek shock again.

And put off buy Öhlins not helping to purchase a spring for my cane creek.

The valt 600lbs spring I bought diameter is 36.5mm

Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 4:51 Quote
35.4mm ID on the 700x2.8

If that fits with some room around the shock body, that should fit. Some dremel work could be required to ease the spring into the collars.

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 5:39 Quote
Strange that you say Cane Creek wasn't much help - they've always been outstanding for any customer service questions that I've called them for.

If Cane Creek doesn't make a spring over 600lbs, and they specifically suggest Ohlins, why not go that route?

From my search, Cane Creek springs have an inner diameter of 36.3mm. So springs from Manitou, XFusion, Ohlins and MRP will fit. Fox springs I see are 35mm and so won't fit. Push springs are 35.5 mm and so won't fit. Rock Shox springs are 38mm and so might fit, or may require a larger baseplate as an adapter.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 6:07 Quote
Cane Creek Shocks take 36mm ID springs. CC, Ohlins and BOS natively. You can also use an EXT or RockShox spring with adapters but couldn't tell you where to get them from in North America.

Please see the table below for fitment options:
35mm Shocks and Springs - Fox
36mm Shocks and Springs - Cane Creek, Ohlins, BOS...
38mm Shocks and Springs - Rockshox and MRP

Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 22:57 Quote
Oregon29 wrote:
Cane Creek Shocks take 36mm ID springs. CC, Ohlins and BOS natively. You can also use an EXT or RockShox spring with adapters but couldn't tell you where to get them from in North America.

I’m confused would this one fit?

https://www.ohlinsusa.com/parts/spring-36124-nmm-708-lbin67-mm-mtb-springs-18077-19

I never understand the springs that fit in shocks with fox it’s easy because they have a table that tells you which springs fit for which size shocks. But I wanted to try something new.

Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 0:15 Quote
I've used a Ohlins spring on a CaneCreek shock without any issues. The diameter fit perfectly.
Fox springs (the standard steel ones) would not fit due to slightly smaller diameter.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 1:45 Quote
dhrider8051 wrote:
Oregon29 wrote:

I’m confused would this one fit?

https://www.ohlinsusa.com/parts/spring-36124-nmm-708-lbin67-mm-mtb-springs-18077-19

I never understand the springs that fit in shocks with fox it’s easy because they have a table that tells you which springs fit for which size shocks. But I wanted to try something new.

Yes that spring will work

Posted: Feb 22, 2023 at 17:47 Quote
Man this coil shock feels amazing might be cause I’m under sprung at 600lbs spring but feels so good haven’t had a chance to try it on a trail yet but just my driveway so plush.

O+
Posted: Feb 23, 2023 at 13:20 Quote
Nice! My inline coil is phenomenal

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010960
Mobile Version of Website