Posted: May 8, 2023 at 6:06 Quote
Dam, that's a seriously clean frame.

O+
Posted: May 8, 2023 at 6:29 Quote
Clean frame, messy headset lol

O+
Posted: May 8, 2023 at 6:44 Quote
That’s Bold of you to say…

I’m actually curious to see how things go from the headset routing into the frame. I think bearings like hellbender set up become more important in this case, but how are the protecting both the housing and the steerer tube from hidden rubbing/wear. I think it was propain that is using a plastic sleeve inside to protect but have yet to see how this is implemented. I get people aren’t thrilled about this move, but it’s the old adage if you don’t like it, don’t buy it! Personally, all the downsides aside, with AXS - how clean is that space that is commonly a pile of spaghetti!

FL
Posted: May 8, 2023 at 10:05 Quote
photo

Spring is here and it’s dry and nice!

O+
Posted: May 8, 2023 at 10:51 Quote
Username checks out - a little too much!

Posted: May 10, 2023 at 8:57 Quote
New built Propain Tyee MY2022

photo

O+ FL
Posted: May 10, 2023 at 18:19 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:

I’m actually curious to see how things go from the headset routing into the frame. I think bearings like hellbender set up become more important in this case, but how are the protecting both the housing and the steerer tube from hidden rubbing/wear. I think it was propain that is using a plastic sleeve inside to protect but have yet to see how this is implemented. I get people aren’t thrilled about this move, but it’s the old adage if you don’t like it, don’t buy it! Personally, all the downsides aside, with AXS - how clean is that space that is commonly a pile of spaghetti!

I have worked on a handful of Scott’s new internal everything bikes and I don’t find them that bad. I was also a professional mechanic for some time and accept that some jobs might take more know how.

The internal headset cables didn’t cause me any headache. My only complaint with the Scott/Bold bikes is they use super thin shift housing to make it easy to run through the bike. May be hard to find at certain shops. The thin housing does make it much easier to run dropper cables through complicated frames and e-bikes though… hahaha

Posted: May 11, 2023 at 21:31 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:

The headset routing itself isn't that bad, the internal ziptie clamps work well, and as the bottom of the frame comes off, it's rather easy to work with. I do find the Scotts vastly easier to work on the shock than the Bolds, and removing the shock from a Bold is properly not fun. The biggest flaws with these bikes is the plastic headset cup. Each one I have encountered wiggles while under correct torque, and benefits from being installed with loctite to help it keep in place.

External routing will always be better in my opinion, but the implementation on these bikes is not as bad as many say.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2023 at 21:46 Quote
sherbet wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:

The headset routing itself isn't that bad, the internal ziptie clamps work well, and as the bottom of the frame comes off, it's rather easy to work with. I do find the Scotts vastly easier to work on the shock than the Bolds, and removing the shock from a Bold is properly not fun. The biggest flaws with these bikes is the plastic headset cup. Each one I have encountered wiggles while under correct torque, and benefits from being installed with loctite to help it keep in place.

External routing will always be better in my opinion, but the implementation on these bikes is not as bad as many say.

I had a feeling that was the case with some of the offerings out there with headset routed cables. People get spun up on things. I remember when gravity dropper showed up
and people scoofed at the idea of a telescoping post, heck I even recall when people were pissy about rear suspension!

O+ FL
Posted: May 11, 2023 at 22:05 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
sherbet wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:

I had a feeling that was the case with some of the offerings out there with headset routed cables. People get spun up on things. I remember when gravity dropper showed up
and people scoofed at the idea of a telescoping post, heck I even recall when people were pissy about rear suspension!

I feel like comparing dropper posts and rear suspension to internal routing isn't exactly a fair comparison. Dropper posts and rear suspension are revolutionary on mtb, headset routing is a visual gimmick at best

FL
Posted: May 12, 2023 at 0:15 Quote
It is, but the MTB industry needs more non-problematic problems to solve.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024232
Mobile Version of Website