Old Bikes

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2023 at 10:40 Quote
How many MTBrs still ride old bikes (5 years or more)? I have ridden a - S-works Stumpy Evo – Forbidden Druid – Norco Optic – YT Capra – Trek Fuel – amongst others yet I keep riding and loving my 2016 RM Altitude. It is a 27.5 bike 11 speed with 160mm travel Fox 34s total weight 28 Ib and has “old” geo. I do replace and upgrade parts but eventually I see my luck running out – considering I rebuilt my “rare” 160mm travel Fox 34s recently and could barely find parts on e-bay.

How do fellow riders of vintage bikes keep their bikes running better than new? What do you ride? Share your stories finding “old” parts – where to find new old stock. How long do you figure we have before it is impossible to find new replacement parts. I need to keep my baby running as long as possible. Smile

Posted: Apr 7, 2023 at 9:41 Quote
10yrs or more for most of my stable, Cove, Treks, Konas, DaBomb, GT, Cube, DiamondBack, MuddyFox, Identiti,Specialized, most are hardtails 26 wheels, hope hubs for adaptable spacers, shimano loose ball
cup cone hub wheels on DT Swiss, Mavic rims for simple run around bikes, re pack grease, bag of balls spares, sorted!
2005 - 2014 Fox 32s, 34, 36s Floats and Vanillas, open bath dampers are more servicable and need less parts
compared to the FIT units that seem to have a 5yr turnaround til discontinued, Fox Vanillas with rebound open bath
dampers seem to just go on and on. Brakes, Hope Minis, Techs, V2s, Motos, Hope seem good with spares,
I have been stockpiling on off for past 8yrs, so Im good there for a good whiley. Threaded BBs on all my frames,
Shimano, Hope, hollow tech 2 type 24mm axle BBs, all bearings can be replaced. 104BCD 4arm cranks NW chainrings,
seem plenty about for as little as £8 for a snail 34T chainring, got a few of em around so no need for proprietary fitting parts. 8, 9, 10 Speed 1X on all.

Current work horse 2009 Trek 6300 hardtail, Hope 26 rear wheel, DMR Moto 2.2 tyre, 27.5 front HopeFortus pro4,
mullet, magic mary 2.4, running tubes, cant be assed with liquid sick everywhere Smile
rigid 29er fork 9mm drop out, cable hydraulic hybrid disc brake on rear, mineral oil caliper with shimano DX V brake
lever, cable actuating the hydraulic caliper, 180mm rotor, shimano SLX hollowtech 2 cranks, 104BCD ring 36T, 9spd 1x, traditional seatpost QR, no dropper, it wont die its too bloody simple.

Ive sourced a few Fox forks over the years of Ebay, so I stick to Fox to keep it simpler when needing parts. Ive found
pre 2010 forks to be easier to fix and service, as parts can cross over between models, a Fox 32 open bath damper
shares some of the same parts as on Fox 36 open bath damper of similar year.

Generally I just hord bike shit, if I need a tyre I buy 2 or 3, usually always in 2s, it works for me, must have a few
bike spares to build up a couple extra bikes, if I see a good deal on Ebay for parts I'll go for it, dont neccessarilly need
it, but just in case : )

Posted: Apr 8, 2023 at 3:22 Quote
Care about the things you're passionate for - a bike, a car, a tool, a relationship......if they're quality, you always have something to reflect on, and they keep you coming back, looking to improve. That's what builds the world!

My beater is a mint 2012 Speshy, that's a total lookin' machine....gets attention - everything is shiny.

My sunday driver is a '00 Klein (bought new), '00 Manitou millennium(x/2000), '00 Airlines(x/2000), G1 purples, Carbon levers, King bits, Crank Iodines, and a whole lot of WTF. That one... fellers, is for me. Nobody else.

That's called 15 years of dedication. Well...23 now...but.....same difference?

Parts are found easily if you have passion for them - it's no different than anything else. Search, consistently, and you'll find bits. You will ALWAYS pay a premium, so you have to examine the relationship.

If I cared about new junk, I would NOT have 4 Carver M400's in my living room. There's old junk that I like - so I buy it. Sometimes it takes a decade......Passion isn't on a whim - it's a venture. And that ol' gal bites deeeeep, more often than not.

Posted: Apr 8, 2023 at 5:38 Quote
Are you guys sure about this, because by all indications these bikes may be unridable.

Mod
Posted: Apr 8, 2023 at 5:52 Quote
My family collects cheap/free bikes from pre 2005. all of our bikes are rideable.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2023 at 9:05 Quote
Hmm that seems like a good idea, never thought about hoarding "vintage" parts, maybe time to make some room. Some of you are successfully running pre-2010 bikes & suspension, nice! Cool

Mod
Posted: Apr 8, 2023 at 20:17 Quote
BornOnTwo wrote:
Hmm that seems like a good idea, never thought about hoarding "vintage" parts, maybe time to make some room. Some of you are successfully running pre-2010 bikes & suspension, nice! Cool
i collect vinatge suspension. All of my collection was cheap or found in the trash.

Posted: Apr 14, 2023 at 14:52 Quote
It's easier to keep the old bike working well

They aren't ridden as hard, although more often.

The new bikes are the ones that see all the abuse. Ridden hard put away wet... Tires get worn out or shredded, trashed wheelsets, abused suspension... and parts are expensive compared to the vintage parts... $200 for a 12 speed cassette $60 for 11 speed $30 for 9 speed. just as an example.

You don't need NOS, ever. Parts will be available forever. Just pickup an old used bike and strip what you need. Sell the rest, often times you'll either come out ahead or at least even. Picked up my last 3 Chris King wheelsets that way... Just takes time finding the right bike and selling the leftovers.

Posted: Apr 14, 2023 at 16:57 Quote
I mostly ride bike park on my mini mullet 2013 Scott gambler, but in the off season before lifts are turning, I ride a 2006 Rocky Mountain slayer that has been heavily modified. Rockshox domain in the front, lowered to 150mm, rock shock monarch in the back, free ride wheel set. Hayes hfx nines which have incredible stopping power. I just recently am changing it to 1x drivetrain. And adding a dropper post is possibly the greatest thing one can do to their bike

Posted: Apr 16, 2023 at 12:03 Quote
My 2003 Sinister Ridge, hand welded by the legendary OG Master, Frank Wadelton aka FTW or Frank The Welder.

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/24592532/
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/24592531/

Still keepin up with the 'duro sleds. People agonizing and arguing over 29er vs 27.5, but I still have so much fun just freakin mountain biking without all the labels and sub categories.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013892
Mobile Version of Website