I have a problem.

• Previous Page
O+
Posted: May 3, 2023 at 7:41 Quote
I can feel the itch to buy a new bike, but the reality is my 2020 ripmo AF with 170mm/coil and minions that crushes it on my local trails, at least as much as the rider allows. I have a hardtail for easy stuff, but even that can be more fun on the ripmo, aside from the climbs, which I sometimes wish were a bit easier.

Why do I feel the need for something new? What problem am I really trying to solve beyond the fun of novelty. How can I get over this?

O+
Posted: May 3, 2023 at 7:57 Quote
me too buddy, me too.

2021 cube 150, full fox factory, carbon rims....but always wanting something new knowing it wont make me any faster

bike rides great. i could swap the frame to something "better" but it would end up costing me $5k for 5% "more performance"

id be better off buying another bike entirely for something different to ride like a trail bike or an XC. more versatility and more choices depending what im riding.

Posted: May 3, 2023 at 9:13 Quote
It's called marketing and advertising and it's not just with bikes. Pretty much done with all consumer goods to keep the company's profitable. I'm as ceceptable as anyone but I've become better about not falling for it as I get older. I think you answered your own question, it's not going to make you any faster. I guess the question is will buying a new ride make you "feel" happier or enjoy riding any more than you do now and is it worth the expense to you?
Many times for me the answer is no but just like everybody else I always enjoy getting a new toy. Sometimes I just tell myself that my old stuff doesn't work any worse now than when it was the latest and greatest, and whatever I spend my money on today is going to be old stuff too in a relatively short time.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2023 at 9:20 Quote
Biggest thing for me are tires. My actual bike rides fine, but on steep smooth ups to fast chill downs, I would love a faster set of tires. My hardtail fits the bill, but it's just not as fun as a fullsus. I should have kept my old Process 111, but I kept the hardtail and bought a big bike. So this is the basis of any excuse I have for new stuff.

Thankfully I don't have this issue with skis. Or cars.

Posted: May 3, 2023 at 9:36 Quote
Because you love bikes. I want all the bikes...at least for one ride.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2023 at 10:02 Quote
5 would be really nice.

Park bike

'Enduro' bike

Aggro short travel bike

Stylish hardtail

Beach bike

I have 3, but going to 4 would wreck my garage organization, and be a net drain on my finances and relationship with my wife.

Posted: May 3, 2023 at 10:22 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
What problem am I really trying to solve ...

The problem is all your bikes are unsuitable and you need to replace all of them.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2023 at 11:08 Quote
Almost three years old. Basically garbage.

Thankfully I have new wheels and a new fork, so at least I have something new.

iffy wrote:
What problem am I really trying to solve ...

The problem is all your bikes are unsuitable and you need to replace all of them.

Posted: May 3, 2023 at 11:34 Quote
I feel your pain Jesse! Although I’m pretty stoked on mine the temptation of ‘new’ is always there…..if you’re happy with the ripmo but not so on the rsd why not grab an aggro short travel frame and swap parts over? Keep the hardtail frame for when you get nostalgic and swap parts back…..something like a process 134, banshee prime norco optic or raid the buy and sell for an old smuggler or even 111 if you can find one…..

O+
Posted: May 3, 2023 at 11:56 Quote
Dav82 wrote:
I feel your pain Jesse! Although I’m pretty stoked on mine the temptation of ‘new’ is always there…..if you’re happy with the ripmo but not so on the rsd why not grab an aggro short travel frame and swap parts over? Keep the hardtail frame for when you get nostalgic and swap parts back…..something like a process 134, banshee prime norco optic or raid the buy and sell for an old smuggler or even 111 if you can find one…..

Should have kept that dang 111. Had great parts etc. I think an aggro mini-squish is probably in the future, cause I'm irrational and 'YOLO'. But, is it necessary? Hell no! haha Smuggler really good, or maybe the RSD wildcat 125. Banshee tilt also has a 125 option. GG Trail Pistol looks like it might get a revamp too!

Posted: May 3, 2023 at 12:05 Quote
Understand that your bike can do more than you can dish out. Until you break it or yourself, just work on becoming a better rider.

Also, your Avatar looks eerily similar to Greg at Butter Suspension

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLY59R3emJc&t=13s

Posted: May 3, 2023 at 12:17 Quote
Dav82 wrote:

Should have kept that dang 111. Had great parts etc. I think an aggro mini-squish is probably in the future, cause I'm irrational and 'YOLO'. But, is it necessary? Hell no! haha Smuggler really good, or maybe the RSD wildcat 125. Banshee tilt also has a 125 option. GG Trail Pistol looks like it might get a revamp too!

Ha!! Hindsight is great eh?? All good options. You could throw some Brit options in…..bird aether 9 always gets solid reviews or even a cotic jeht??

O+
Posted: May 3, 2023 at 13:21 Quote
Dav82 wrote:
Dav82 wrote:

Ha!! Hindsight is great eh?? All good options. You could throw some Brit options in…..bird aether 9 always gets solid reviews or even a cotic jeht??

bird stuff looks great, just worry about warranty issues if there's no local distributor. Chromag Darco looks perfect as fun/less squishy fashion bike to replace my hardtail, but the frames are$$$

Posted: May 3, 2023 at 13:40 Quote
Dav82 wrote:

bird stuff looks great, just worry about warranty issues if there's no local distributor. Chromag Darco looks perfect as fun/less squishy fashion bike to replace my hardtail, but the frames are$$$

Yep that’s understandable. I know from when I’ve contacted them with queries they’ve been quick to respond and from other stuff I’ve read they’re aftersales is spot on…..might be worth an email if you’re interested but got doubts…..

Darco looks super nice but big bucks$$$

Posted: May 3, 2023 at 15:04 Quote
eshew wrote:
Understand that your bike can do more than you can dish out. Until you break it or yourself, just work on becoming a better rider.

Also, your Avatar looks eerily similar to Greg at Butter Suspension

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLY59R3emJc&t=13s

This one. It's not glamorous, but I find if I get bored it's time to take a break or double down and get better. Broaden skillset, broaden horizons.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014258
Mobile Version of Website