I have a problem.

Posted: May 3, 2023 at 23:23 Quote
road trip, go ride some new trails, this usually works for me a couple of times a year. It helps me put off buying a new bike for a while as I start thinking of new trails to ride instead of new bikes to ride.

Posted: May 4, 2023 at 2:34 Quote
natas2125 wrote:
road trip, go ride some new trails, this usually works for me a couple of times a year. It helps me put off buying a new bike for a while as I start thinking of new trails to ride instead of new bikes to ride.

You nailed it, but nobody wants real advice here when it concerns new toys...do they?

Its easy to forget that the bike is just a tool and not the aim, the point is to ride. Smile

Posted: May 4, 2023 at 6:04 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Park bike

'Enduro' bike

Aggro short travel bike

Stylish hardtail

Beach bike

I’d go with-

Long travel full sus for uplift/alps riding

Downcountry for self propelled riding

Hardtail for winter

Gravel bike for general riding/commuting/light touring

E bike as a car substitute.

O+
Posted: May 4, 2023 at 6:36 Quote
eshew wrote:
Understand that your bike can do more than you can dish out. Until you break it or yourself, just work on becoming a better rider.

Also, your Avatar looks eerily similar to Greg at Butter Suspension

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLY59R3emJc&t=13s

With that attitude I'd still be on my 2008 stumpjumper!

One thing I find helps is to clean the bike. Even to just make it look new kinda sparks the same feeling. Or by a new tire or something just for something to feel on the trail.

And yeah, my image does look like that guy, hahah

O+
Posted: May 4, 2023 at 6:38 Quote
iffy wrote:
natas2125 wrote:

You nailed it, but nobody wants real advice here when it concerns new toys...do they?

Its easy to forget that the bike is just a tool and not the aim, the point is to ride. Smile

There are two things I like about bikes. 1, riding. 2, bikes. I ride lots, take some trips etc. That's never a problem. But like some people are into cars, I find the actual bike something I love. It's like a toy. Who doesn't want more toys?

Posted: May 4, 2023 at 7:00 Quote
I like my problem in fact I enjoy my problem, what I dislike is your problem reflecting
badly on my problem then some meddling type trying to come and cure the problem,
deal with the problem privately and enjoy it, really

O+
Posted: May 4, 2023 at 7:06 Quote
So you want postiive reinforcement for your issues? Spoken like a true addict.

That's why I created this thread, to validate my desire for new crap by calling on other addicts to join me in my shame.

Posted: May 5, 2023 at 1:45 Quote
Hey Jesse, I used to have this problem, it’s called Gas: Gear acquisition sindrome. Swapped frame or bike in less than 2 years and so on. With age, experience and a good damm versatile bike, I realized it’s more about the ride, having fun, getting exercise, to conquer a drop or jump that scares me, to know I had the technique to do it and to grab a cold beer in the end. Almost all my buddies went ebike route, maybe riding solo calmed down all the conversations and excitement about all the new hot things.
Currently I buy things when I need it, tyres, brake pads, chain, gloves or whatever. And because I bought so much stuff over the years, I know what I like and what I don’t want.
Having said that,I am currently looking for a new toy after my carbon frame snapped for the 3rd time.

“My name is Louis and I didn’t buy a bike related item for one day !”

Posted: May 5, 2023 at 6:19 Quote
I am not sitting in a circle with you freaks, I aint got a problem! its
just normal ok

O+
Posted: May 5, 2023 at 6:38 Quote
GAS, why haven't I heard this before?? I suffer it FOR SURE. I've had so multiple ti frames and they've just come gone like nothing, which would blow the mind of my broke 16 year old self. Thankfully I've had an industry friend who made it cheap.. He was an enabler!

Posted: May 5, 2023 at 7:23 Quote
Pyres nailed it.

Getting new bits is addictive. At one point I was dealing with 9 bikes, and wanting to upgrade them all.

Then age hits ya, and you want to get better junk, to make you feel like you can do everything ya did before. You can't; due to time, or life.

The train never ends. With age comes wisdom though, and you'll find yourself being more reluctant to spend on things that go in circles - given that the crap you already OWN goes in circles........At which point, you have to really look at things, and just say - "how much junk do I actually need to own, to look cool in whistler for an hour out of the year?"

Nobody actually cares. The good bits are YOUR bits - doesn't matter if it's a 20 year old Monster T, or a brand new Fox. Whatever gets you on the trail, is what matters most.

Posted: May 5, 2023 at 8:29 Quote
I love my toys, but I just can't tolerate them not working really well or not feeling 100% good that they're going to bring me back.

So I need new shocks/springs on my car, and I need a new suspension and wheels for my GG so I can swap it over to a Gnarvana and I need new wheels for my Jeep and I have to work on my 85 Toyota to get it to pass emissions, and that is all 100,000,000% totally without question necessary....absolutely...there's no way those can't be done, except for the dollar signs in front of it all.

Maybe age will stop some day, but I'm nearly 50 and it hasn't stopped yet.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2023 at 8:45 Quote
I am definitely onboard with having your gear/toys in good working order. Especially my bikes. My car just needs to get me there, but can do so shittily. My bike recently was skipping gears after a new cassette and chain and I just couldn't abide by that. A new rear mech was in order (3rd deore in 3 years) but thankfull this one was warrantied. Now it rides like a dream. (a deore dream). I get my suspension serviced regularly and don't generally ride tattered rubber.

One thing that is really tough now for GAS sufferers is the fact that current bikes are so good. You feel the need for new, but then look at what you have compared to what's out there and it's a way tougher sell to rationalize compared to 5 years ago, when your 3 year old bike really did suck in comparison to the new one. But now my 2020 ripmo is identical to the bike they sell in 2023 and I don't even really know what I'd change.

Posted: May 5, 2023 at 9:18 Quote
I am definitely onboard with having your gear/toys in good working order. Especially my bikes. My car just needs to get me there, but can do so shittily. My bike recently was skipping gears after a new cassette and chain and I just couldn't abide by that. A new rear mech was in order (3rd deore in 3 years) but thankfull this one was warrantied. Now it rides like a dream. (a deore dream). I get my suspension serviced regularly and don't generally ride tattered rubber.

One thing that is really tough now for GAS sufferers is the fact that current bikes are so good. You feel the need for new, but then look at what you have compared to what's out there and it's a way tougher sell to rationalize compared to 5 years ago, when your 3 year old bike really did suck in comparison to the new one. But now my 2020 ripmo is identical to the bike they sell in 2023 and I don't even really know what I'd change.

PARTS! I can mostly keep my GAS at bay by dropping a couple hundred a few times a year. My Ripmo has almost nothing of the original stuff. I have the original(-ish...broke it and warrantied once) frame and the original(-ish one delaminated and was warrantied once) carbon/I9 wheels on it and that's it. I agree that the bike is great. I love riding it. I agree that getting a new bike is only newer, and that's it. Custom parts fun is cheaper that whole bike fun.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2023 at 9:22 Quote
Explodo wrote:

PARTS! I can mostly keep my GAS at bay by dropping a couple hundred a few times a year. My Ripmo has almost nothing of the original stuff. I have the original(-ish...broke it and warrantied once) frame and the original(-ish one delaminated and was warrantied once) carbon/I9 wheels on it and that's it. I agree that the bike is great. I love riding it. I agree that getting a new bike is only newer, and that's it. Custom parts fun is cheaper that whole bike fun.

Carbon wheels and frame is like 60% of the bike, so you're being rather reserved. I built a second set of wheels (BLKBRD rims on TOR hubs) so I could trash the stock wheels in the park, and a Fox 38, which was a great deal and I wanted a 170. New rotors etc and the bike feels damn fresh. I think the frame and cranks and shifter are the only OG parts, hahah.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011407
Mobile Version of Website