Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 14:33 Quote
Paskapoo Eastlands also still accessible by bike from lower northeast side off of Sarcee via "backdoor" trail (on Trailforks). I pedalled over from Bowmont on Saturday morning and found new on-ramps open to traffic, thus a bit of "assertiveness" was required when riding S on Sarcee from the vicinity of the garden centre. It's tricky when exiting also- getting across Sarcee and back north. Claim your share of the road where the lanes narrow and don't be bullied!
Would not recommend during busy traffic times.

Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 15:13 Quote
sweaman2 wrote:
Eastlands was tacky goodness last night with only the trails running close to the creeks being a bit wet. I do feel though that more riders should (re)discover this area as some the trails are getting pretty over grown. I managed a little over 350m of climbing in an hour which is as much climbing as Ushoulda / Billy Dog and didn't really have to cross my tracks that often.

I don't think I've ever ridden in there. Any suggestions on a path to follow where I won't get lost? I'll bring my pruning shears =\

edit: nvm. Useful information a plenty had I finished reading before replying.

O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 18:17 Quote
Great, thanks. I saw the road going up there, but was afraid it would drop me straight into the thunderdome. I will check it out.

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2017 at 6:07 Quote
Heavy rain since last night in Invermere, same forecast for the next couple days.

Posted: Jun 14, 2017 at 7:10 Quote
d-man wrote:
Heavy rain since last night in Invermere, same forecast for the next couple days.

So you 're saying, absolutely amazing conditions come the weekend?!

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2017 at 8:12 Quote
sweaman2 wrote:
Eastlands was tacky goodness last night with only the trails running close to the creeks being a bit wet. I do feel though that more riders should (re)discover this area as some the trails are getting pretty over grown. I managed a little over 350m of climbing in an hour which is as much climbing as Ushoulda / Billy Dog and didn't really have to cross my tracks that often.

Be careful what you wish for! One of the nice things there is the abundance of winding narrow track that remains largely un-widened by the shortcutting-puddle avoiding-root dodging crowds.
My "basic" loop there is about 8 km, around 300m of vert, and requires riding only one short section twice. Tacking on several side loops and riding a longer bit of the main double track twice, gives me about 11 km and 400m- pretty good for such a compact area.

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2017 at 8:21 Quote
Perhaps Although I can still think of a few examples of either "wider bars won't fit this gap braiding" or "taking the straight line is easier" re-routes that seem to have popped up recently so I think the boat may be setting sail as it were. I was also annoyed to notice that a tricky tree on one section of Beaver Fever seems to have been removed this spring.

Posted: Jun 14, 2017 at 8:30 Quote
Meto89 wrote:
d-man wrote:

And braiding up the Calgary updatesDead Horse

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2017 at 9:50 Quote
sweaman2 wrote:
Perhaps..... I was also annoyed to notice that a tricky tree on one section of Beaver Fever seems to have been removed this spring.

Yes, pissed at that one too! All those roots just below it were tricky when wet, and that tree didn't help matters, but those are the kind of little challenges that keep mtb fresh and interesting.
Same thing happening incrementally in 12 Mile as well Really Mad

Posted: Jun 15, 2017 at 8:50 Quote
Moose last night was pretty good. The trails were a little damp but good none the less. Should be great today and tomorrow. The road was a disaster though. Looks like they just graded it before the rains. Deep wet mud in about 4 places. Oh and I rode through every puddle as instructed by the old heads on this forum.

Posted: Jun 15, 2017 at 9:00 Quote
CC and Bow just posted some demo days for later in June, it anyone is into those. The more popular bikes seem to book up fast, so get 'em while they're hot!

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2017 at 9:13 Quote
rbbs wrote:
Meto89 wrote:
d-man wrote:

You're right nobody from Canmore /calgary rides out here my bad.

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2017 at 10:25 Quote
employee7 wrote:
Looks like they just graded it before the rains. Deep wet mud in about 4 places..

Confirmed. I was out on Monday night and the grader was just coming down the road as we set out on Pneuma.

Posted: Jun 15, 2017 at 16:22 Quote
d-man wrote:
rbbs wrote:
Meto89 wrote:

You're right nobody from Canmore /calgary rides out here my bad.

https://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=3018

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2017 at 6:40 Quote
Ranger-Snakes-Ladders-RB3-Bobcat-Strange, Thursday afternoon. Good conditions, mostly dry, or damp and firm.
Numerous minor puddles scattered along the whole route to splash through, and one short boggy section on Snakes.
Limited parking in a small lot south of the road, with lots of space at 3 pm, by 5:30 as I finished it was full, but parking is allowed on roadside.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017118
Mobile Version of Website