Powered by Outside

Canyon Spectral thread

PB Forum :: Canyon
Canyon Spectral thread
  • Previous Page
FL
Posted: Jul 21, 2023 at 14:12 Quote
Lets get this going, post some pictures etc? any news on an update as been out for a couple of years now?

Posted: Aug 1, 2023 at 20:20 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
Lets get this going, post some pictures etc? any news on an update as been out for a couple of years now?

Have not heard about any updates, but I ran one for a while (CF8 ). Excellent bike. Pretty amazing do it all rocket. Not quite as fast as my Strive going down, but it was snappier up hill and had more pop, so it was a damn fun bike while still capable when things got steep.

Canyon Spectral CF8

FL
Posted: Aug 1, 2023 at 20:47 Quote
jhatfie wrote:
HeatedRotor wrote:

Have not heard about any updates, but I ran one for a while (CF8 ). Excellent bike. Pretty amazing do it all rocket. Not quite as fast as my Strive going down, but it was snappier up hill and had more pop, so it was a damn fun bike while still capable when things got steep.

Canyon Spectral CF8

what did you change to? and why of course

Posted: Aug 2, 2023 at 5:02 Quote
photo

I opted for the aluminum AL5 29 as carbons ability to resist impacts from rock strikes deterred me. Before this I ran the Nomad V4 carbon 27.5, basic/low spec model in xl so this is all i can compare it against which isn't ideal. I come from DH background but plan to ride more enduro/xc, hence buying this bike.

The spectral wheel size is noticeable immediately (this is my 1st 29er) and pedals better than the nomad. So far, the bike climbs and descends on par with the nomad if not better, possibly due to wheel size. At 6ft 2in, the XL is just where id like the geometry to be and i don't feel cramped or over-extended.

I bought the AL5 model which is the low end spec but for the price it offers outstanding value. I have swapped out the flat pedals for some mallet E pedals and plan to fit a bar with a high rise, like the Sam Hill bar from Nukeproof as I like a high front end.

Bad points:

I have noticed a creak from the bb or lower pivot which seems to cease after 2 mins of riding but reappear when pedaling on flat, boring climbs or flat sections. I check the bolts before each ride and so far they non have worked loose. Stupidly, I have not contacted Canyon yet to report this but I will over the weekend and post below what their comments are.

Good Points:

For the money, it is brilliant. For enduro tracks, all day epics and some bike park fun this bike appears in its element and would recommend one.

Posted: Aug 2, 2023 at 11:44 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:

I usually have a couple bikes at a time and tend to flip through them every year because I love trying different geo and suspension platforms.

At the time I was reducing down to 1 bike, so I sold the Spectral and my Evil Wreckoning and kept my Propain Tyee. Which I just sold a couple weeks ago and just have my new Canyon Strive CFR.
Canyon Strive CFR

Posted: Aug 2, 2023 at 12:16 Quote
jhatfie wrote:
HeatedRotor wrote:

I usually have a couple bikes at a time and tend to flip through them every year because I love trying different geo and suspension platforms.

At the time I was reducing down to 1 bike, so I sold the Spectral and my Evil Wreckoning and kept my Propain Tyee. Which I just sold a couple weeks ago and just have my new Canyon Strive CFR.
Canyon Strive CFR

So, is the shapeshifter hardware a gimmick meant to be adjusted and left alone or did they design it to be adjusted regularly? Did you play with that yet?

I asked that question and Canyon promised and answer. I am not holding my breath....

Of all the bikes out there this is the only one that makes me think it may almost be worth what they charge for it, when on sale....

Posted: Aug 2, 2023 at 14:02 Quote
Daniel092 wrote:
So, is the shapeshifter hardware a gimmick meant to be adjusted and left alone or did they design it to be adjusted regularly? Did you play with that yet?

I asked that question and Canyon promised and answer. I am not holding my breath....

Of all the bikes out there this is the only one that makes me think it may almost be worth what they charge for it, when on sale....

100% not a gimmick. It can be adjusted on the fly, but I honestly only use it for the climbs up the mountain, then pop it back to slack mode. Just click the lever and BAM, gained 1.5 degree head angle and stiffer and reduced 140mm rear travel. Then when ready to head down, pop the other lever and "clack", you are ready to shred with the 63 degree head angle and full 160mm rear travel.

Posted: Aug 2, 2023 at 16:23 Quote
jhatfie wrote:
Daniel092 wrote:

100% not a gimmick. It can be adjusted on the fly, but I honestly only use it for the climbs up the mountain, then pop it back to slack mode. Just click the lever and BAM, gained 1.5 degree head angle and stiffer and reduced 140mm rear travel. Then when ready to head down, pop the other lever and "clack", you are ready to shred with the 63 degree head angle and full 160mm rear travel.

Nice! What about the fork washer for the reach and wheelbase adjustment? Everything looks like it could be flipped regularly? I think this is the part that's making Canyon too shy to answer my question. I know it isn't practical to do it on the fly.... I am thinking of using that when climbing 14ers or Mexican glaciers. After 1,500-3000 meters of elevation gain it is worth flipping it for the downhill run.

Posted: Aug 3, 2023 at 20:41 Quote
Daniel092 wrote:
Nice! What about the fork washer for the reach and wheelbase adjustment? Everything looks like it could be flipped regularly? I think this is the part that's making Canyon too shy to answer my question. I know it isn't practical to do it on the fly.... I am thinking of using that when climbing 14ers or Mexican glaciers. After 1,500-3000 meters of elevation gain it is worth flipping it for the downhill run.

It is pretty easy to adjust. But to be honest the range of adjustment is not huge for the reach. 475,480,485mm. I like it best in the neutral (480mm) position cups and have not felt a reason to change it to the other positions after I set my preference.

Posted: Aug 3, 2023 at 21:41 Quote
jhatfie wrote:
Daniel092 wrote:

It is pretty easy to adjust. But to be honest the range of adjustment is not huge for the reach. 475,480,485mm. I like it best in the neutral (480mm) position cups and have not felt a reason to change it to the other positions after I set my preference.

I don't expect I would ever change the position for a day out riding. But, for a multi day climb followed by a 4-8 hour downhill ride dropping 3,000+ vertical meters every little bit counts, on the way up and the way down.

It is the wheelbase increase that's more important than the reach IMO.

FL
Posted: Aug 11, 2023 at 14:26 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:

Hey there! A friend of mine just got a new spectral and I‘m stocked for him! One question though? Is it normal that the shimano casette doesn’t come with a lockring and just comes off when the wheel is of? I think this is kind of odd

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2023 at 8:34 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
photo

Posted: Aug 27, 2023 at 20:04 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
I'm also very interested in if Canyon is going to update this one soon. Planning to get a CF8 to replace my old Trance 275.

Posted: Aug 27, 2023 at 23:45 Quote
Lorin-B wrote:
HeatedRotor wrote:

Hey there! A friend of mine just got a new spectral and I‘m stocked for him! One question though? Is it normal that the shimano casette doesn’t come with a lockring and just comes off when the wheel is of? I think this is kind of odd

No this isn’t normal. Contact canyon urgently. Don’t ride the bike.

Posted: Nov 13, 2023 at 17:38 Quote
Been doing a ton of research on the Canyon Neuron 6 aluminum. Sounds like the perfect bike for the Mid-Atlantic trails I normally ride.

Is anyone riding one? Thoughts?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014445
Mobile Version of Website