Upgrade from Yari RC to Lyrik select ($600) or 36 factory ($1300)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Upgrade from Yari RC to Lyrik select ($600) or 36 factory ($1300)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jul 24, 2023 at 16:37 Quote
Hi there,

I'm currently riding a '21 kona process with a 160mm 27.5 Yari RC on it. I'm finding I'm hitting my limit for arm pump on long and fast descents, and instead of just getting stronger/better I was thinking of buying a new fork.

I'm looking at a brand new take-off '22 Lyrik select for $600 cad, but I'm also tempted by the 20% sale on the 36 factory, which puts it at $1300.

Is there a significant enough difference between the Yari and Lyrik to justify the $600? My understanding is the main benefit is the charger damper (just buying the damper upgrade for the Yari is $590 in my area so not really much cheaper)

Or if I'm dropping that much money, should I just go all out and buy the 36 for $1300?

Or should I just go to the gym?

Posted: Jul 25, 2023 at 7:29 Quote
Not sure how much difference there would be between the Yari and Lyrik Select as it's the Charger RC damper in there. If you can, go for the Lyrik Select Plus as you will get the same daper as the Ultimate just without the high speed compression adjustment.

Check Chain Reaction Cycles. They ship everywhere and have a lot of good deals at the moment.

Posted: Jul 25, 2023 at 10:29 Quote
The upgrade from Yari to Lyrik is very noticeable and very cost effective. The two forks are night and day difference. The damper on a Yari is a complete POS, and not suitable for advanced or better riders. The MC damper on the Yari cannot keep up with chunky terrain or high speeds. The only difference between the Yari and Lyrik is the damper; they have the same springs.

I purchased an older Charger damper on sale for $150 last year (also 27.5, 160mm, for my V3 SC Bronson, which orginally came with the Yari), replaced the Motion Control with the Charger, now I run a Lyrik. The Lyrik is comparable to the Fox 36. It's an easy, fast upgrade with tremendous bang for your buck. I would definitely buy a new damper before I bought a whole new fork if you are on a Yari.

Posted: Jul 25, 2023 at 21:09 Quote
Do as MT36 did and buy a Charger 2.1 damper to install in your Yari. It essentially turns it into a Lyrik. It's also the most cost effective way to get better performance.

The stock damper in the Yari can't handle successive hits and if you ride fast on a rough trail for longer than 3-4mins you will be holding on for dear life. So it's not you in need of getting stronger, the fork is just not good at this.

Before buying anything though I recommend removing all tokens from the Yari, increase air pressure (sag at about 20%) and run rebound as open as you can handle. For me this improved the fork's behaviour significantly, although it doesn't overcome the damper's limitations.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010349
Mobile Version of Website