What is the typical Specialized motor warranty process?

PB Forum :: eMTB
What is the typical Specialized motor warranty process?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 29, 2023 at 10:57 Quote
The motor on my 2022 Turbo Levo just went out so I took it to the shop where I purchased it and I'm being told it's a multi-week process to get a warranty motor through Specialized. But I've also heard people say they got a new motor installed in theirs the same day.

Anyone know the process and why I'd need to wait weeks for my bike to get fixed?

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2023 at 11:42 Quote
Mine recently went out too on my 2022 Levo. My LBS has been waiting almost 4 weeks for Specialized to deliver a replacement motor. I'm hoping on a call to pick it up today since the shop got a tracking number for the replacement on Saturday. It took a friend of mine a little over 3 weeks through a Specialized owned bike shop in SoCal.

I feel your frustration.

Posted: Aug 29, 2023 at 12:24 Quote
Tallboy97 wrote:
Mine recently went out too on my 2022 Levo. My LBS has been waiting almost 4 weeks for Specialized to deliver a replacement motor. I'm hoping on a call to pick it up today since the shop got a tracking number for the replacement on Saturday. It took a friend of mine a little over 3 weeks through a Specialized owned bike shop in SoCal.

I feel your frustration.

Oh thats even worse than I thought. And I'm in SoCal as well. Time to test my patience...

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2023 at 12:31 Quote
BH22 wrote:
Tallboy97 wrote:

I feel your frustration.

Oh thats even worse than I thought. And I'm in SoCal as well. Time to test my patience...

I'm a bit disappointed. During COVID I had a Santa Cruz Bronson that had the clear coat bubbling in a couple spots. I took some pictures and Santa Cruz had a warranty replacement frame on my doorstep in 3 days. I would think Specialized would be able to respond quicker than they have.

Posted: Aug 29, 2023 at 12:38 Quote
[Quote="Tallboy97"][Quote="BH22"]
Tallboy97 wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed. During COVID I had a Santa Cruz Bronson that had the clear coat bubbling in a couple spots. I took some pictures and Santa Cruz had a warranty replacement frame on my doorstep in 3 days. I would think Specialized would be able to respond quicker than they have.

I had the same experience. I had my Nomad warrantied w/ a 2021 Megatower during peak covid (Aug 2020) in less than a week from day of claim to delivery. I went w/ Specialized for my ebike because I assumed they'd be on top of this type of stuff seeing as how large they are.

Posted: Aug 29, 2023 at 17:17 Quote
As the owner of a 2022 Levo, aside from the down time considerations, all these cases of gen 3 (Brose 2.2) motor failures are of grave concern to me.
Can you guys elaborate on the nature of these failures?
Sorry if this is a little bit of a thread high jack.

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2023 at 17:29 Quote
16rally wrote:
As the owner of a 2022 Levo, aside from the down time considerations, all these cases of gen 3 (Brose 2.2) motor failures are of grave concern to me.

Seems to be a broken belt, but the dealers aren't allowed to open them up, they just replace it with a new motor. I was riding up a mild incline in trail mode and suddenly the pedals just spun and did nothing. Luckily I was close to the end of the ride and only had to push the bike home a short distance.

Posted: Aug 29, 2023 at 18:43 Quote
Tallboy97 wrote:
16rally wrote:

Seems to be a broken belt, but the dealers aren't allowed to open them up, they just replace it with a new motor. I was riding up a mild incline in trail mode and suddenly the pedals just spun and did nothing. Luckily I was close to the end of the ride and only had to push the bike home a short distance.
So even the wider, beefier belts susceptible to breaking?
That's disappointing!
After how many miles, may I ask?

And when the belt breaks you don't just lose assist, but pedals spin freely leaving you stranded?

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2023 at 19:00 Quote
16rally wrote:
Tallboy97 wrote:
16rally wrote:

So even the wider, beefier belts susceptible to breaking?
That's disappointing!
After how many miles, may I ask?

And when the belt breaks you don't just lose assist, but pedals spin freely leaving you stranded?

I was right about 1000 miles. Yes, the pedals did nothing, just spun and did not turn the chainring.

Posted: Aug 30, 2023 at 5:50 Quote
My issue is that after pedaling for about 5 miles I put it in Turbo for the last final climb to the top and the motor starting spinning really fast and disengaged from the cranks. I could still pedal, but without the motor. After I turned it off/on the motor worked again for a few cranks, but then disengaged and spun again. I did that a few times only to realize it wasn't going to work so I pedaled back without the motor.

Posted: Sep 1, 2023 at 17:14 Quote
Apparently Specialized is getting worse instead of better on warranty motor replacement times. I friend of mine had one go bad back in Mach, the LBS ordered it and had it back to him in 3 days. I’ve had two replacements since then and both took 3 weeks.

Posted: Sep 8, 2023 at 14:25 Quote
My brother has an S-works Levo a year old, motor getting loud and just took to his LBS here in SoCalif, they are telling him 2-3 weeks. He has a good relationship with his LBS and buys many bikes there, not specialized owned. I just bought a new Carbon Levo and am now a bit nervous regarding this issue effecting newer bikes. I thought they had all their crap worked out. We road together last week, luckily he also has an Intense Tazer that he was able to ride as a back up, not cool to have to shut down your riding for such a long time.

Posted: Sep 8, 2023 at 14:50 Quote
rodneyH wrote:
My brother has an S-works Levo a year old, motor getting loud and just took to his LBS here in SoCalif, they are telling him 2-3 weeks. He has a good relationship with his LBS and buys many bikes there, not specialized owned. I just bought a new Carbon Levo and am now a bit nervous regarding this issue effecting newer bikes. I thought they had all their crap worked out. We road together last week, luckily he also has an Intense Tazer that he was able to ride as a back up, not cool to have to shut down your riding for such a long time.

I just heard form my Specialized dealer who has my bike for almost 2 weeks now. As of today I'm looking at another week (maybe two) until it's all sorted out and the new motor is delivered.

Apparently the warranty process is very complex w/ specialized and requires a lot of back and forth, diagnostics, testing, paper work, etc.

For comparison, I have a friend who has had a number of issues w/ his Trek Rail and every time something happens his Trek dealer has him back out there riding within a few days.

Posted: Sep 10, 2023 at 10:34 Quote
Does anyone know of warranties and transferable?

Posted: Sep 21, 2023 at 13:07 Quote
Just to put a bow on this thread. After 2 weeks of no action from the shop I purchased the bike from I reached out directly to Specialized to get some info on their process. It was then that they informed me the shop that had my bike had never even started the warranty claim. Specialized was mortified I was being treated like this so they had another shop handle my bike the next day. 1 week later I have my bike w/ a new motor. So it was a 3 week process, but the actual warranty only took 1 week once Specialized got involved. Not ideal, but in the end I'm happy with how Specialized handled it and even more happy with the shop that actually did the work.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010766
Mobile Version of Website